The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
4,696 results
All reviewsnorth propertynorth poolstudio villapirate shipisland viewjacuzzi tubtime sharenorth sidetimeshare ownerstimeshare presentationfull kitchenheavenly bedshuttle servicewasher dryerfree shuttlebar and grillkiddie pool
FilterAll languages
A TripAdvisor Member
Northwest Arkansas
Reviewed June 18, 2006

Upon arriving at the Westin Kaanapali Villas, we were given a "studio" room. On my reservation from my travel company it specifically states "deluxe ocean view suite." The Villas view was that their studio is indeed considered a suite. After many phone calls between my travel agent and the front desk, we were moved 24 hours later into a 1 bedroom suite. After the inital mishap, our stay was supurb. I was very concerned after reading the reviews on this site, but was surprised at how well I liked the resort after getting the correct room. Yes, the pool was cold...but refreshing after laying in the hot Maui sun. Yes, there is construction going on...thankfully building additional rooms, a spa, a new kid's club, and kid's pool. The construction noise was a non-issue if you are used to living in ANY size of a city. We hope to go back and possibly even purchase a timeshare @ this resort, which by the way...we were not even approached about while staying there. I understand that this is usually not the case and that everyone is "invited" to the timeshare sales pitch, however we were not (not that it bothers me any, we'll just go next time to see what is offered!) Concerning comments about the staff, most of the staff we encountered were very friendly and tried to be helpful. There were a couple of front desk attendants that were a little less than friendly and not so helpful, but overall, it was fine. The kid's club is FANTASTIC! We had a hard time convincing our five year old to come with us rather than go there. All in all, I had a great trip and can't wait to return and hopefully get the correct room on the first try!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 17, 2006

Wonderful resort! As you frist step into the lobby, you are breathless as you look out onto the clear blue ocean. Helpful and friendly staff. We stayed in a one bedroom villa, which had 2 queen beds in 1 bedroom and a pull out couch in the living room. Large Kitchen with a full sized refridgerator. There was an electric oven and stove top with a microwave. Also included in the kitchen was a toaster, a blender and coffee maker. The pool was divided by a small waterfall - one side about a foot deep and the other side ranging from 2.5 feet to 4 feet. There are also 2 hot tubs. The general store sold everything from sundaries, gifts, beach toys, coffee, and even take and bake dinners. The "heavenly beds" were very comfortable. We stayed on the side facing the construction. However, we hardly heard the noise because the glass doors were so thick. However, the construction did start about 7am. There aren't that many spaces to park underground and they tell you to park outside, but if you do happen to get a spot underground, the elevators from the lot to your room can be very convenient. However, walking through the beautiful lobby and pool to get to your room isn't so bad either. The accommodations were very clean and comfortable and the biggest decision we had to make each day was...beach or pool?

5  Thank OandO
Reviewed June 14, 2006

We were worried about staying here with the earlier reviews that were so negative. We decided to try the property and we took my mom as well. My mom stayed in the lovely studio with an ocean view and my husband and I were upgraded to a 1 bedroom ocean view villa. It is the most beautiful spacious comfortable property we have ever stayed in. The heavenly shower and the jacuzzi tub are awesome everyday and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. We were also there on business so having the high speed internet in the room was excellent and their service provider is superb. There is a full kitchen (dishwasher, disposal, fridge, stove, and microwave) with granite counter tops. We are going to be building our own home in Maui in 3 years and I have asked the property who did their tile work it is so spectacular. The grounds are beautiful and very manageable and the shuttle to the other Kaanapali Starwood resorts is a nice change when you do not want to drive. There is LOTS of parking and always available. The service was great and checkin and checkout was very fast. There was a true feeling of Aloha at this property!

4  Thank luv2travel1stclass
Reviewed June 14, 2006

I just completed a one week stay with my husband, 13 year old son, 11 year old daughter and my mother. We are owners at the Sheraton Vistana Villages in Florida and switched out to this one. We stayed in a two bedroom ocean view lockoff in building 3, 6th floor. Our villa faced the park, parking lot and had a partial view of the ocean. I'll address two recurrent issues in postings:
THE VIEW: Contrary to the many irritated reveiwers on the site, I did not have any problems with my view and enjoyed spending time on the balcony in the evening.
CONSTRUCTION: I was not on the construction side. Therefore I would not have been able to tell construction was going on had I not seen the crane when driving up to the property.
I think both of these issues are VERY overblown unless you are on the construction side.

POSITIVES:
* Wonderful rooms typical of the Westin. Spacious, minimalist Westin decor, Westin beds.
* Beautiful!!! ocean view from the pool, lobby and restaurant area
* Easy access to the beach
* Shuttle to other Starwood hotels and to shopping in Whaler's Village
* Responsive concierges helped with activites and dining options.
* Clean towels quickly provided.
NEGATIVES:
* Yes, the pool is COLD. I can't understand why when it was 88 degrees. My kids only went in a few of the days.
* Food at the restaurant was terrible!!!!!! The breakfast buffet was the worst.
* Check out is at 10:00am. They have a late stay lounge (which is nice) with lockers and a shower room which was DISGUSTING by the time we wanted to use it at 4:00pm. Wet towels all over the floor. No washcloths. No soap/shampoo. ICK!

HANDICAPPED ISSUES
* Housekeeping had a shower chair for my mom to use in the shower.
* Villas are close to the pool / restaruant area which helped since my mom is partially handicapped and can't walk long distances
* Westin's wheelchair is old and rickety. Order one in ADVANCE from a vendor - the places they referred us to were booked up

OTHER
* BUY FOOD AND COOK IN THE VILLAS!!! Most of our dining out dinners were so-so yet cost $300 for the five of us. There are nice grills on property
* Rent and reserve a shaded cabana IN ADVANCE for your check out day. That gives you a place to hang out once you leave your villa.
* Go to dinner at the Heile Meili General Store. PHENOMINAL.

Overall I enjoyed my week but probably won't go back to Maui. Too many other new places to see and nothing there I couldn't get elsewhere.

Enjoy your stay!

10  Thank BlessedandLoved
A TripAdvisor Member
Missouri
Reviewed June 9, 2006

Booked a one week stay at the Westin for part of my honeymoon and went during late May/early June and then spent 4 days after at the Four Seasons in South Maui. For the months preceeding our visit, I was looking at the trip advisor reviews for the Westin. I was shocked that a Westin was getting such average reviews. I've stayed at Westins before and was always very satisfied with how nice the hotel was. Anyway, read lots of people complaining about the construction, hotel staff, pool temperature, wind, etc.

My main concern was the construction. Once I checked in I realized we weren't facing the construction and was relieved. If you had a room facing the construction, I imagine it would be a big letdown. The room we ended up with was an oceanview - facing the ocean with a parking lot inbetween. A lot of reviewers seem to think oceanview is similar to oceanfront for some reason. Regardless, the oceanview was great, lots of beautiful trees, good balcony, parking lot was hardly noticeable. I heard the construction once or twice the entire week and that was while on the beach. The construction was not a problem for us.

The actual hotel room deserves 6 stars. We had a one-bedroom villa and it was huge! Gigantic bathtub with jets that can open up to the bedroom (you can watch tv from the tub even). Bed was extremely comfortable, room had washer and dryer, everything was clean. Better room than the Four Seasons. It was nice to be able to eat-in and use the grills on site once in awhile too.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Easy to drive to Lahaina. Star Market and Safeway are both close by (I found Star Markets a better option). Plenty of restaurants nearby. I heard in advance the hotel restaurant was bad so I didn't bother.

The beach is wonderful. Yes, there are rocks and coral everywhere so it's perfect for snorkeling. You can just step out and dive in and look on tons of great fish. Didn't see the advantage of walking down to Black Rock to snorkel, had better luck right outside the hotel. Go to Snorkel Bobs in Lahaina and get the cheap snorkel gear for $9/week, it works fine. No need for beach chairs, you can find plenty of spots to lay down on the beach and there is shade for trees that you can find if you need it. At the pool there are plenty of spots to layout and, if you are diligent, it isn't too hard to find chairs that are shaded. The pool was a little cold but not too bad. Very pretty pool and quite big, not very busy with people. Some kids but nothing that bothered a couple honeymooners. Hot tubs by pool were nice and rarely occupied. Overall, I was very satisfied with the beach/pool. It gets a little windy in the afternoons at the Westin, but it's nothing that should ruin your day.

The hotel staff was nice from my experience. I'm not incredibly demanding so I had little contact with them. Didn't even look for workout room, got enough of a workout swimming and walking up and down the beach. No problems with timeshare people. Basically no problems at all. If you are looking for a great location, great room, great beach/pool, you won't be disappointed. As I said earlier, we stayed at the Four Seasons after the Westin, and I by the end of the trip, I think I liked the Westin Villas more than the Four Seasons. Even if you get a room facing the construction, I think the Westin VIllas would be worth your time.

In closing, I have the feeling that most of the negative/average reviews are from very picky people. This is a wonderful hotel, I recommend it highly.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member