“Good family vacation spot (info on handicapped access)”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Charles
“Good family vacation spot (info on handicapped access)”
Reviewed June 14, 2006

I just completed a one week stay with my husband, 13 year old son, 11 year old daughter and my mother. We are owners at the Sheraton Vistana Villages in Florida and switched out to this one. We stayed in a two bedroom ocean view lockoff in building 3, 6th floor. Our villa faced the park, parking lot and had a partial view of the ocean. I'll address two recurrent issues in postings:
THE VIEW: Contrary to the many irritated reveiwers on the site, I did not have any problems with my view and enjoyed spending time on the balcony in the evening.
CONSTRUCTION: I was not on the construction side. Therefore I would not have been able to tell construction was going on had I not seen the crane when driving up to the property.
I think both of these issues are VERY overblown unless you are on the construction side.

POSITIVES:
* Wonderful rooms typical of the Westin. Spacious, minimalist Westin decor, Westin beds.
* Beautiful!!! ocean view from the pool, lobby and restaurant area
* Easy access to the beach
* Shuttle to other Starwood hotels and to shopping in Whaler's Village
* Responsive concierges helped with activites and dining options.
* Clean towels quickly provided.
NEGATIVES:
* Yes, the pool is COLD. I can't understand why when it was 88 degrees. My kids only went in a few of the days.
* Food at the restaurant was terrible!!!!!! The breakfast buffet was the worst.
* Check out is at 10:00am. They have a late stay lounge (which is nice) with lockers and a shower room which was DISGUSTING by the time we wanted to use it at 4:00pm. Wet towels all over the floor. No washcloths. No soap/shampoo. ICK!

HANDICAPPED ISSUES
* Housekeeping had a shower chair for my mom to use in the shower.
* Villas are close to the pool / restaruant area which helped since my mom is partially handicapped and can't walk long distances
* Westin's wheelchair is old and rickety. Order one in ADVANCE from a vendor - the places they referred us to were booked up

OTHER
* BUY FOOD AND COOK IN THE VILLAS!!! Most of our dining out dinners were so-so yet cost $300 for the five of us. There are nice grills on property
* Rent and reserve a shaded cabana IN ADVANCE for your check out day. That gives you a place to hang out once you leave your villa.
* Go to dinner at the Heile Meili General Store. PHENOMINAL.

Overall I enjoyed my week but probably won't go back to Maui. Too many other new places to see and nothing there I couldn't get elsewhere.

Enjoy your stay!

10 Thank BlessedandLoved

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 9, 2006

Booked a one week stay at the Westin for part of my honeymoon and went during late May/early June and then spent 4 days after at the Four Seasons in South Maui. For the months preceeding our visit, I was looking at the trip advisor reviews for the Westin. I was shocked that a Westin was getting such average reviews. I've stayed at Westins before and was always very satisfied with how nice the hotel was. Anyway, read lots of people complaining about the construction, hotel staff, pool temperature, wind, etc.

My main concern was the construction. Once I checked in I realized we weren't facing the construction and was relieved. If you had a room facing the construction, I imagine it would be a big letdown. The room we ended up with was an oceanview - facing the ocean with a parking lot inbetween. A lot of reviewers seem to think oceanview is similar to oceanfront for some reason. Regardless, the oceanview was great, lots of beautiful trees, good balcony, parking lot was hardly noticeable. I heard the construction once or twice the entire week and that was while on the beach. The construction was not a problem for us.

The actual hotel room deserves 6 stars. We had a one-bedroom villa and it was huge! Gigantic bathtub with jets that can open up to the bedroom (you can watch tv from the tub even). Bed was extremely comfortable, room had washer and dryer, everything was clean. Better room than the Four Seasons. It was nice to be able to eat-in and use the grills on site once in awhile too.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Easy to drive to Lahaina. Star Market and Safeway are both close by (I found Star Markets a better option). Plenty of restaurants nearby. I heard in advance the hotel restaurant was bad so I didn't bother.

The beach is wonderful. Yes, there are rocks and coral everywhere so it's perfect for snorkeling. You can just step out and dive in and look on tons of great fish. Didn't see the advantage of walking down to Black Rock to snorkel, had better luck right outside the hotel. Go to Snorkel Bobs in Lahaina and get the cheap snorkel gear for $9/week, it works fine. No need for beach chairs, you can find plenty of spots to lay down on the beach and there is shade for trees that you can find if you need it. At the pool there are plenty of spots to layout and, if you are diligent, it isn't too hard to find chairs that are shaded. The pool was a little cold but not too bad. Very pretty pool and quite big, not very busy with people. Some kids but nothing that bothered a couple honeymooners. Hot tubs by pool were nice and rarely occupied. Overall, I was very satisfied with the beach/pool. It gets a little windy in the afternoons at the Westin, but it's nothing that should ruin your day.

The hotel staff was nice from my experience. I'm not incredibly demanding so I had little contact with them. Didn't even look for workout room, got enough of a workout swimming and walking up and down the beach. No problems with timeshare people. Basically no problems at all. If you are looking for a great location, great room, great beach/pool, you won't be disappointed. As I said earlier, we stayed at the Four Seasons after the Westin, and I by the end of the trip, I think I liked the Westin Villas more than the Four Seasons. Even if you get a room facing the construction, I think the Westin VIllas would be worth your time.

In closing, I have the feeling that most of the negative/average reviews are from very picky people. This is a wonderful hotel, I recommend it highly.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Southern California
Reviewed June 9, 2006

This was our 1st stay in our oceanfront center unit. The view was so spectacular from indoors it looked like we were on a ship. The lanai is extremely large and very private as we were on the top floor. The service was excellent all around. Very kid-friendly as we have a 2 and 3 yr old and the cribs and high chairs were free upon request. We loved the on-site restaurant and kids eat free. We have previously stayed on the other side of Kaanapali Beach near Whaler's Village (Sheraton, Westin Hotel and Kaanapali Ali) and thought we'd miss the "scene" but now having stayed here we actually were totally turned off by how crowded and loud it has become over there. The rooms are top notch. both my toddlers LOVED the pool (cool to the touch but comfortable once you jump in like all pools are (where are these people coming from who complain about the pool being too cold...it is meant to be refreshing). The child's pool is much warmer. No problems getting lounges by the pool and the beach in front of the hotel is great. Walk down a little bit to the right and have a long stretch of beach all to yourself. Weve checked out several other timeshares on Maui but none compare to this place. We really appreciate the simplicity of it - its great there is just one restaurant on site-it keeps the crowds from the other side of the beach coming to our exclusive little piece of heaven on Maui. I'll end by saying that all the non-owners who complain about being given bad ocean views or being put on the construction side when they are paying less than $200 a night-what did you expect? The owners pay more than that just for yearly maintenance fees on top of what we have paid to own a unit. I did not meet one unhappy owner during my stay--Funny how the people who paid big bucks to own here are not the ones complaining...

7 Thank Mariapic
Orange County, CA
Reviewed May 30, 2006

We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View One Bedroom Suite as we did last year. Both times we paid a lot ($400-500 per night) but both times we weren't disappointed. We got the view we expected (ocean and pool) and tons of space. People who go at the super low special rates are of course going to get a construction and/or parking lot view. This year the construction is almost unnoticeable. It is hidden to the far side of the hotel which you never see unless you were driving up toward Kapalua. No noise and no problems. Love the Heavenly beds (no icky bedspreads) and the shower is fantastic too. If you are going to stay in a suite in Maui at a nice/luxury hotel you are looking at $700/night so I really prefer to stay at the Westin villas. You also get the benefit of the full kitchen and washer/dryer which is essential with kids. You can probably get a better deal on a condo but if you want to stay at a nice hotel with kids I highly recommend the Westin Villas. Yeah the pool was kind of cold but as the summer warms up I am sure it won't be a problem. Great snorkeling at the beach and love the proximity. Maid service is spotty but we just gave the front desk a call and they came the one day they forgot. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the hotel for honeymooners or 20 somethings (not much of a social scene) but again great for young families. Not too many kids or people at the pool - not hard to get a nice lounge chair (they have the nice padded wooden ones) and you can sit by the umbrellas if you get to the pool by 9am or so. I still think it's worth the money - I have stayed in a regular room at the Hyatt which is like $400 and the Westin suites are easily triple the size. Only the 1 restaurant which has decent food but you have your ktichen and you are so close to whaler's village and lahaina who cares...I got worried when I read the reviews before going this year but I definitely wasn't disappointed.

14 Thank oc4
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed May 29, 2006

First, the 1bdroom is great - very large and roomy and everything is new. This time of year seemed very good as the weather was great and the water was warm enough to swim (~78 degrees). One of the added benefits is that they are linked to the Sheraton and Westin one street up in Ka'anapali.

To set expectations, there is not much as far as activity at the Westin Villas and the pool area is kind of bland (comparatively). The beach is often too windy and there is a lot of coral in the water (even at the beach edge), so if the water is rough, you may get cut up. The restaurant at the hotel is not good (avoid). One more comment, if you will be hung up about whether there is a parking lot between you and your Ocean View or if you have to look right to see the ocen in your ocean view room, you will not like it. We had Ocean View and had a parking lot between us and the ocean, we lt it go as we were on vacation and would be out at the ocean.

Like I said, though, there is a FREE shuttle that runs every 10-15minutes all day and night long between the Westin Villas and the Sheraton/Westin Maui. At the Sheraton is Black Rock which has some great snorkeling and a jump off point at the top of the rocks. The pool area is wonderful at the Sheraton.

You can charge anything at the Sheraton and Westin back to your room at the Westin Villas. We rented boogie boards, went snorkeling, lounged in the river-like pool, had drinks at the pool bar. You can also get your towels from the Sheraton.

There are also plenty of really nice restaurants in Ka'anapali, Kapalua, and Lahaina to eat instead of the Westin Villas restaurants and we bought groceries from Safeway for breakfast and some lunches. It is not a money thing, you will prefer to eat chicken nuggets from the freezer section that eat the food at the hotel.

Some nice restaurants are: Plantation House (Kapalua), Vino Italian Tapas (Kapalua Golf Course), Longhis (Lahaina), and you must do either the Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele (includes fire dance).

So, stay at the Westin Villas for the extremely nice rooms and take the shuttle to the Sheraton for your water activites. You will enjoy the whole experience.

9 Thank Sue V
quincy
Reviewed May 26, 2006

We stayed here in November of "05".
I have to agree that the place was AVERAGE at best.
I think some of the people who own here really overrate the place.

We are NOT owners and payed about $275 per night for the studio room that faced the construction site from HELL. LOUD noises EVERY day. Even though we were in and out, the noise got OLD fast!

COLD pool...too cold for our son! It was PRETTY to look at, but what good is it if you can't use it?

Housekeeping? Where were they? I paid for maid service but they "forgot" several days in a row! When they did come, the job was mediocre.

MANY people were MAD, and I don't think the resort is ready for "prime time" yet.

• Stayed November 2005
8 Thank outtolunch55
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2006

I have to admit, I had a last-minute opportunity to stay at this resort the first week in May, and based on the reviews here I almost passed it up. While I am glad that I made the decision to stay there, I am not convinced that I would go back. We got great value. If I was paying $300+ per night, I would NOT feel that way.

First the negtives:
We were fortunate enough to stay at this resort at the Friends and Family rate of $125 per night. We knew that this would mean we would get the worst room in the hotel, and Iwe were not disappointed. Our first-floor construction view room gave us the sights and sounds of the next phase of construction 6 days a week from 7am on... and even when there was no construction happening, we could not open the sliding glass doors because the air conditioning unit for what seemed like the entire building was right outside the doors. There was no lanai in our room, but fresh air might have been nice.

While we got what we expected in terms of a room, it seemed like we might have been the only ones. Every time I was at the front desk, I was next to someone who was unhappy about their room. It appears that everyone was on owner who reserved an ocean view room a year ago and is now stuck inthe back of some building and they want to be moved. Now. It's no wonder the front desk people were cranky - and they were.

Housekeeping - They have different schedules for owners versus nightly folks. We got no housekeeping the first day because we were incorrectly identified as owners. Housekeeping also seems to come VERY late in the day, and there is no opportunity to ask for early service by way of a door-hanger like you can at many places. Out of 5 days, we had no husekeepingthe first day and turned it down another day because they came as we were getting just getting back to the room to shower for dinner.

Gym - Very high windows, no view although it FACES THE OCEAN - seems like a wate of the view to me, and it felt like a prison.

Beach chairs - It was $39 per day for 2 beach chair rentals. Why?

Timeshare sales - Very pushy about signing up for the presentation, which we never did.

Check-In/Check-Out - Check in at 4pm, check out at 10 am. They mean this.

Now the positives:
The room was wonderful. Spacious, comfortable, loved the full kitchen! We went the grocery store and stocked up on breakfast items and also had a few lunches inside - beasts the $11 from the pool bar for a veggie wrap! Very comfortable bed.

Beautiful property. Loved the grills and the outdoor tables for eating. Never ate at the hotel restaurant, so can't address othres concerns in this area.

Nice location. Convenient to get to Lahaina, but not as crowded as Kaanapali 'proper'.

Pool - Temperature was comfortable - but then again, it was nice warm weather that first week in May, so the pool was refreshing!

Value - We had a smoking rate. That made a lot of the negative stuff easier to swallow.

In closing, if you get a great deal (I saw someone say they paid $600 for 6 nights bplus a rental car credit) in my opinion this would be a great place to stay. At $300+ per night, I would think that you could do better.

10 Thank Debye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!