“A Great Condo, BUT NOT a RESORT”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 4, 2010

The Westin KORV is an overall great CONDO, but I'd stress to anyone considering staying here that it is definitely NOT a luxury resort--for better AND for worse. I've been to Maui several times before, so I wasn't after the full-on resort experience and appreciated Westin KORV's low-key convenience instead. Just be mindful that it is NOT a luxury resort, despite the insistence of other reviewers and the Westin timeshare salespeople. For sure, the Westin KORV has lovely accommodations, convenient parking garage (in the north buildling, at least), a good fitness center (however small) with great equipment, a good-yet-expensive spa, and outdoor grills. Plus, it's nicely situated right on the beach. However, its grounds are impeccable but not luxurious. (It is visibly flanked by a municipal park and an empty construction site.) It doesn't have a golf course. In fact, there are only two "first come-first served" tennis courts on the whole property of 500+ units. (Yes, there were lines. And no, not one of the concierges could point me in the direction of the other off-site courts to which guests have at their disposal, at least according to the the website and in-room guide.) There are no nearby retail shops. For me, the true upset is that there is no decent restaurant on the property. The only "fine dining" option is Puleho, an "Italian" restaurant that is unremarkable at best. (Its Christmas dinner "special" entrees were inedible.) We dined off-site all but for that one bad meal. There's also an average pool grill and a sports bar (with a limited menu and even more limited service) for days at the pool.

I stayed over Christmas and New Year's holiday, when the property was around 93% occupancy (I asked) and I must say the pool areas were packed. The proximity between lounge chairs made it easy for me to overhear several conversations between disgruntled and territorial timeshare owners at the property who seem resentful of the great deal that their exorbitant maintenance fees provide hotel guests.

I found the staff mediocre. I spoke to several of them to help put a day of golf together and each gave me conflicting or partial info. Another member of concierge services advised that I skip driving to Haleakala Park to see the sunrise, which turned out to be my favorite experience of my eight vacations in Hawaii.

Also, beware: I had a room near the lobby (Building 6) and heard the lobby muzak echo loudly starting at 7AM. It's not a problem the front desk cares to address. I tried several times.

And a tip: Bring aqua socks or booties. The coral reef in the shore just in front of the hotel is fantastic, but dangerous and many people cut themselves on the rocks.

In sum, expect a great condo, but not a resort. I'd stay there again, but I wouldn't recommend to anyone who's looking for the type of luxury and service available at other properties on Maui.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Globetrotter1973

Reviewed January 4, 2010

Most people here are timeshare owners enjoying their annual week of family paradise. There are tons of families with young kids.

The best part is that you are right on the beach and along a very nice beach walk (of various timeshare developments). You can walk out of your room and be snorkeling in only 5 minutes! Gorgeous sunsets.

This is a very large development, many rooms, but the rooms are nicely renovated and very large. You could squeeze 4 people in a studio using the sofa bed. All rooms also have laundry and full kitchen. Families gather in the evenings to use the dozens of hotel-provided gas BBQs for grilling.

The hotel's restaurants (and those in nearby hotels) are generally expensive. You can save money on your trip by cooking some meals yourself on the BBQ or in your kitchen. There are also reasonably-priced non-hotel restaurants nearby.

The pools and hot tubs are very nice, but crawling with kids. There is a water slide and pirate pool for kiddies too. Fitness room is spacious and nice.

Tip: Make sure to rent a car. This property has free self parking. You also don't have to pay a "resort fee" like you do at other Starwoods on Maui.

Hotel has a very nice free shuttle service that takes you on a small loop, as far as Lanai, but not very far; shuttle drivers are great.

Front desk staff is OK.

There are around a dozen concierge desks, and the concierge staff is excellent. Poolside breakfast buffets are elaborate and a good (albeit indulgent) value for $20.

If you have gold or platinum Starwood status, you might get nothing for it, as this property doesn't fully participate in Starwood benefits. Sit in for a timeshare tour if you want bonus points.

Again, overall, the rooms are very nice. Free wireless Internet too.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank HappyTravels503
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Everything about this hotel is 1st class. Having said that, I paid for an ocean-view studio and got a garden view studio. I asked the bellman to show me the ocean from my window (in case I was overlooking it) and he told me what direction it was in, but he could not see it either. I called the front desk and was informed that not only was this an ocean view room, it was one of their better ocean view rooms. I later saw some of the other garden view rooms that overlooked a construction site next door and realized it was one of their better garden views. When shopping for my lodging, I could have reserved a garden view studio for less money, but I booked with Travelocity because they had the ocean view for a little more money. Upon my return, I sent Travelocity feedback on the situation and recieved an immediate "robo-response", then the next day I got a personal follow-up and was assured they would look into it and get back with me....that was two weeks ago, but no follow-up yet. I don't know if I was scammed by Travelocity or if we were both scammed by Westin Resorts, but Travelocity has failed to adequately address the matter. Again, it was a teriffic garden view room!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank The_Jingoist
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed at the Westin 14 years ago, and have been waiting to go back. The service was outstanding, and the location, hard to beat. The grounds are incredible and we enjoyed every minute. We have traveled to many exotic destinations and this is the first time my kids (18 and 13) said they can't wait to come back. (can we can we?) haha
You will NOT be disappointed staying here...it's an amazing property!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Westin KORV North for our first use of our Westin timeshare (we own in Cancun) from 11/14-11/21 of 2009. At the time I was in the beginning of my 8th month of pregnancy and had LITERALLY just gotten out of the hospital due to some complications. We almost didn't go on this trip....but we were so glad we made it! We stayed at the South property for our honeymoon (which influenced us to buy a Westin timeshare) and wanted to try the North this time around. We own a Studio Villa and were upgraded to Oceanfront when we arrived. We stayed in room 5416 which had a small balcony overlooking both the pool and the ocean...with the sliding glass doors closed you couldn't hear a peep - if you left them open at night you could hear the wind and the ocean.
I was really limited in what I could do due to the difficulties I was having with my pregnancy so having such a great room and view was a blessing. We ate at both restaurants at this resort (Pailolo was the sports bar - some things tasty, but waaay overpriced. Pulehu was nice Italian but the service was hit and miss.) We also bought sandwiches from the on-site store which was not bad.
We both got massages at the spa - and I got a mani/pedi. Extremely expensive, and a total splurge, but worth it at the time. We also used the watersports hut to rent snorkeling equipment for the day. They have changed the way the give you towels from the last time we were at the Westin - now they give you towel cards upon check in which you turn in for towels. If you want new ones, you must turn the used towels in, or if you want your cards back you can do that too and get fresh towels the next day with your cards.
There was never an issue with getting lounge chairs by the pool...which was a little on the chilly side, but refreshing if it actually got warm (which it didn't often during our trip ...boo!). There are many different nooks and crannies to the pool, plus there is an entirely different kids pool on the property as well so it was really never crowded. The snorkeling off the beach was pretty good, but it was very windy the day we went plus I couldn't stay in for long so we only did that the one day.
One thing we would say is that the concierges that they have there would do everyone a favor if they learned a bit more about the things to do on the island other than their "go-tos" ...we asked several about a few things we wanted to do that a simple internet search could turn up and no one had any idea of what we were talking about. Also they might want to get more than one computer for their business center. Parking is free for owners, not sure for those who are not.
Other than that - we decided we actually prefer the North to the South ...it feels a little more secluded and calm, it has better restaurants and the spa. The only thing it is missing is that spectacular view that slays you as soon as you step into the South. Overall - great vacation/babymoon spot!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gioia1976
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I don't have time to go into a long review, so I will sum it up: We cannot wait to go back to this resort. The beach is perfect. The beachwalk to the Ka'anapali strip was perfect. Our room was perfect. The staff was super friendly. For anyone traveling with a toddler, the pools were great (for adults too!). The pirate ship pool and coy pond were absolutely the highlight for our 2 year old.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2009

The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (The Westin KORV) was the perfect resort for us as we visited Maui on our honeymoon earlier this month (Dec., 2009).

Since our arrival, on a Monday evening, to our departure the following Sunday midday (including a last second visit to the concierge desk for tickets to the Maui Ocean Center), the staff at The Westin KORV was extremely pleasant, professional and helpful during our entire stay.

They took cared of my new bride when she needed some medical attention (bruised her knee in the pool). We wanted to moved the DVD player to the bedroom -- and even though I am more than capable of doing it myself -- they insisted upon sending someone to do it for us (and did it promptly). The restaurant staff were great (the food were awesome and priced reasonably), the front-desk staff attentive, the store clerk was helpful, the spa attendants were nice, pool attendants friendly...we had no complaints about any of The Westin employees (even the timeshare meeting with the sales staff was positive...we didn't buy and they weren't pushy)!

Rita, one of the concierge in our building was pleasant to chat with despite the fact that we did not book any activities with her. We had already done the research online and reserved off-site activities in advance.

The massage therapists in the spa were great when we utilized the facility and opportunity with a couples ritual massage and bath.

And, the best part was the whole stay was our amazing villa upgrade!

Through a friend, we were able to call in a favor and received a generous upgrade from a studio villa to a 1-bedroom OCEAN FRONT! We had a corner unit on the first floor with ocean/Lana'i and Moloakai view. The view from the balcony as breathless. We were even able to spot humpback whales from our porch!

We dined at the poolside bar and grill (awesome fish tacos) as well as Pulehu and recommends both.

We definitely recommend this resort. In fact we recommended friends who are getting married in January and looking to go on a honeymoon in Hawaii. As a Starwood Vacation Network member, We also plan on returning to this resort in the future!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!