“Great 2nd time experience”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange County, CA
“Great 2nd time experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2006

We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View One Bedroom Suite as we did last year. Both times we paid a lot ($400-500 per night) but both times we weren't disappointed. We got the view we expected (ocean and pool) and tons of space. People who go at the super low special rates are of course going to get a construction and/or parking lot view. This year the construction is almost unnoticeable. It is hidden to the far side of the hotel which you never see unless you were driving up toward Kapalua. No noise and no problems. Love the Heavenly beds (no icky bedspreads) and the shower is fantastic too. If you are going to stay in a suite in Maui at a nice/luxury hotel you are looking at $700/night so I really prefer to stay at the Westin villas. You also get the benefit of the full kitchen and washer/dryer which is essential with kids. You can probably get a better deal on a condo but if you want to stay at a nice hotel with kids I highly recommend the Westin Villas. Yeah the pool was kind of cold but as the summer warms up I am sure it won't be a problem. Great snorkeling at the beach and love the proximity. Maid service is spotty but we just gave the front desk a call and they came the one day they forgot. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the hotel for honeymooners or 20 somethings (not much of a social scene) but again great for young families. Not too many kids or people at the pool - not hard to get a nice lounge chair (they have the nice padded wooden ones) and you can sit by the umbrellas if you get to the pool by 9am or so. I still think it's worth the money - I have stayed in a regular room at the Hyatt which is like $400 and the Westin suites are easily triple the size. Only the 1 restaurant which has decent food but you have your ktichen and you are so close to whaler's village and lahaina who cares...I got worried when I read the reviews before going this year but I definitely wasn't disappointed.

14 Thank oc4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,080)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

First, the 1bdroom is great - very large and roomy and everything is new. This time of year seemed very good as the weather was great and the water was warm enough to swim (~78 degrees). One of the added benefits is that they are linked to the Sheraton and Westin one street up in Ka'anapali.

To set expectations, there is not much as far as activity at the Westin Villas and the pool area is kind of bland (comparatively). The beach is often too windy and there is a lot of coral in the water (even at the beach edge), so if the water is rough, you may get cut up. The restaurant at the hotel is not good (avoid). One more comment, if you will be hung up about whether there is a parking lot between you and your Ocean View or if you have to look right to see the ocen in your ocean view room, you will not like it. We had Ocean View and had a parking lot between us and the ocean, we lt it go as we were on vacation and would be out at the ocean.

Like I said, though, there is a FREE shuttle that runs every 10-15minutes all day and night long between the Westin Villas and the Sheraton/Westin Maui. At the Sheraton is Black Rock which has some great snorkeling and a jump off point at the top of the rocks. The pool area is wonderful at the Sheraton.

You can charge anything at the Sheraton and Westin back to your room at the Westin Villas. We rented boogie boards, went snorkeling, lounged in the river-like pool, had drinks at the pool bar. You can also get your towels from the Sheraton.

There are also plenty of really nice restaurants in Ka'anapali, Kapalua, and Lahaina to eat instead of the Westin Villas restaurants and we bought groceries from Safeway for breakfast and some lunches. It is not a money thing, you will prefer to eat chicken nuggets from the freezer section that eat the food at the hotel.

Some nice restaurants are: Plantation House (Kapalua), Vino Italian Tapas (Kapalua Golf Course), Longhis (Lahaina), and you must do either the Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele (includes fire dance).

So, stay at the Westin Villas for the extremely nice rooms and take the shuttle to the Sheraton for your water activites. You will enjoy the whole experience.

9 Thank Sue V
quincy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2006

We stayed here in November of "05".
I have to agree that the place was AVERAGE at best.
I think some of the people who own here really overrate the place.

We are NOT owners and payed about $275 per night for the studio room that faced the construction site from HELL. LOUD noises EVERY day. Even though we were in and out, the noise got OLD fast!

COLD pool...too cold for our son! It was PRETTY to look at, but what good is it if you can't use it?

Housekeeping? Where were they? I paid for maid service but they "forgot" several days in a row! When they did come, the job was mediocre.

MANY people were MAD, and I don't think the resort is ready for "prime time" yet.

• Stayed November 2005
8 Thank outtolunch55
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2006

I have to admit, I had a last-minute opportunity to stay at this resort the first week in May, and based on the reviews here I almost passed it up. While I am glad that I made the decision to stay there, I am not convinced that I would go back. We got great value. If I was paying $300+ per night, I would NOT feel that way.

First the negtives:
We were fortunate enough to stay at this resort at the Friends and Family rate of $125 per night. We knew that this would mean we would get the worst room in the hotel, and Iwe were not disappointed. Our first-floor construction view room gave us the sights and sounds of the next phase of construction 6 days a week from 7am on... and even when there was no construction happening, we could not open the sliding glass doors because the air conditioning unit for what seemed like the entire building was right outside the doors. There was no lanai in our room, but fresh air might have been nice.

While we got what we expected in terms of a room, it seemed like we might have been the only ones. Every time I was at the front desk, I was next to someone who was unhappy about their room. It appears that everyone was on owner who reserved an ocean view room a year ago and is now stuck inthe back of some building and they want to be moved. Now. It's no wonder the front desk people were cranky - and they were.

Housekeeping - They have different schedules for owners versus nightly folks. We got no housekeeping the first day because we were incorrectly identified as owners. Housekeeping also seems to come VERY late in the day, and there is no opportunity to ask for early service by way of a door-hanger like you can at many places. Out of 5 days, we had no husekeepingthe first day and turned it down another day because they came as we were getting just getting back to the room to shower for dinner.

Gym - Very high windows, no view although it FACES THE OCEAN - seems like a wate of the view to me, and it felt like a prison.

Beach chairs - It was $39 per day for 2 beach chair rentals. Why?

Timeshare sales - Very pushy about signing up for the presentation, which we never did.

Check-In/Check-Out - Check in at 4pm, check out at 10 am. They mean this.

Now the positives:
The room was wonderful. Spacious, comfortable, loved the full kitchen! We went the grocery store and stocked up on breakfast items and also had a few lunches inside - beasts the $11 from the pool bar for a veggie wrap! Very comfortable bed.

Beautiful property. Loved the grills and the outdoor tables for eating. Never ate at the hotel restaurant, so can't address othres concerns in this area.

Nice location. Convenient to get to Lahaina, but not as crowded as Kaanapali 'proper'.

Pool - Temperature was comfortable - but then again, it was nice warm weather that first week in May, so the pool was refreshing!

Value - We had a smoking rate. That made a lot of the negative stuff easier to swallow.

In closing, if you get a great deal (I saw someone say they paid $600 for 6 nights bplus a rental car credit) in my opinion this would be a great place to stay. At $300+ per night, I would think that you could do better.

10 Thank Debye
Los Altos, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2006

Wow - there's a lot of varying views on this property. We just got back and experienced a lot of the good and bad things that others have noted here:

+'s
Free internet access!
Kids eat free program at the restaurant!
Spacious rooms
New furnishings
Clean facilities
Koi fish pond is great fun for the kids!
Construction - fun for the kids to watch cranes, etc
Convenient location to Kapalua/West Maui airport, Lahaina

-'s
Windy - not their fault
Cold pool - they can't explain why
Slow service at the restaurant - poor staffing/resourcing
Difficulty parking - esp during peak weeks (try to park underground - those are the best)
Timeshare sales pitch - hey, we signed up for it so we can't really complain
Ocean views - the building was architected poorly so that there really aren't any units facing the water
Construction - 6 days a week, 7-5
Housekeeping - only comes from 10-4 so they usually don't get to you until 4

The bottom line is that this is a timeshare property and all the good and bad that goes w/ such a property should be expected. If you want top of the line, then go to a high end hotel. If you are prepared to be more self-suffcient, then this timeshare is as good as it gets. While they are pushy from a timeshare sales perspective, they are polite compared to most of the industry. For 6 nights at $629 total plus $185 credit towards a rental car, you can't really argue against sitting in a 60 min sales pitch.

Stayed May 2006
5 Thank yangbness1
Laguna Hills, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2006

I am an owner at this resort and agree the bad comments appear to be unwarranted. This was my second stay at the resort and am ready to go back. The first thing I would like to coment upon is the wind. First of all the Westin is not responsible for the wind. For those of you who do not get to Maui that often, let me tell you, during this time of the year, it is always windy here. The Wailea side is calm. During the months around Septemper the Trade Winds change and it is calm and hot at the Westin KOR. So if you do not like the wind do not go during the months it is windy!
The other comment I would like to address is the pool being cold. I was at the resort during Easter weekend and the pool temp was great! The only problem I had was with all the kids. But what do you expect at Easter time!
The only complaint I have of the Westin, is that the Jacuzzi specifically states children under 14 are not allowed. However, this was not enforced. At any given time there was between 10 & 15 unsupervised kids in the Jacuzzi, leaving no room for us adults. At one point, I even counted 22. That's right 22! While I don't mind a few supervised kids in there, this was out of control. I beleive it was especially bad since our room was above the Jacuzzi and could hear the kids all day and night. I decided to resolve this problem by selling back my ocean view room and as of next year, will have an ocean front room at the resort next door.
Everything else went great. The staff was wonderful as was the service. We had a small maintanence problem that was quickly delt with. The food at the resort, is good but not great. However, you can not beat the fact it is so convienant. Having the little store and market is a plus as well.
We took the shuttle to the Sheraton and snorkeled at Black Rock and then had breakfast there. This was the best breakfast buffet I have ever had! Later we took the shuttle to the Westin, or actually to Whaler's Village for some shopping and dinner at Leilanie's. This was very good and much less expensive than the hotel food.
Keep up the good work KOR as we will be back next year at the KOR North in our ocean front room!

Aloha!

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank CFNOBIS
Richboro, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2006

Just came back and it was great.....yeah!.. the pool was extremely cold, but the snorkeling and the easy access beach diviing made up for it...the location is perfect...easy driving to downtown and nearby shopping.....if you're not driving ?...the resort provides a complimentary shuttle service between the Villas and the hotels(Sheraton and Westin Maui)..there is a huge shopping mall 'Whaler's Village' right next to the Westin Maui -great shopping for unique island trinkets...or maybe just for a McDonalds cheeseburger and fries! ......there's only 1 restaurant at the villas and it stops serving meals at 9pm with no exceptions!..we found out the hard way!........however, Tropica at the Westin Maui was excellent !..the ocean view and best view of the sunset on the island made it priceless...the buffet breakfast there was also bountiful (and pricey @$25/person)...also try cocktails and lunch at the Sheraton poolside (their lazy river style pool is alot warmer!).... the snorkeling in front of the Sheraton is easy entry and very calm (Black Rock) compare to in front of the Villas....they make it easy for you to stay at 1 hotel and play at 3 hotels with the shuttle service, you can also make charges to your room from any of the 3 hotels ....we had a 1bedroom villa and it was very spacious, the bed and linens were the signature Heavenly Beds as well as the dual head 2 person shower and jacuzzi tub....the constant island breeze was so relaxing and the lanai (patio) made it easy to enjoy....there are also stainless steel Kitchenaid bbq grills and dining areas oceanfront if you prefer to stay in...you can purchase pre-marinated, steaks, chicken, kabobs etc... in the hotel deli..they also provide grilling utensils if needed...the deli had a little of everything-snacks, icecream, wine, coffee, pastries, gift items, you name it ! ...the prices were comparable to shops elsewhere- it was great for last minute presents...Overall it was a great experience,
and fortunately we did not get a construction view which is going to be there until 2008 ! ..I hope this is helpful to all who read it !...Aloha !...Maui is the Best.....it is Paradise.....

9 Thank Roadhogster