“Don't Trade Into the Westin !!!”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lee's Summit
“Don't Trade Into the Westin !!!”
Reviewed November 7, 2009

We own 2 beautiful oceanfront 1 bedroom villas in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico on a floating week basis. This trip to Maui was our 5th trip, we traded one of our weeks through Interval International and obtained a studio unit at the Westin Ocean Villas North. I had done alot of research including Trip Advisor and felt very good about the trade. Upon check-in the Front desk showed me where our villa was. It was a parking lot and highway view at the very back of the resort. I told her that villa was not acceptable, the next villa that was offered was on the ground level overlooking the koi pond and next to the restaurant. I asked if there was a possibility to upgrade and she offered an oceanfront for an additional $150 Per night plus tax. We accepted....however the villa was in an oceanfront building our room had a view of an empty lot, construction site and a glimpse of the ocean. These rooms are called Villas but are really only a hotel room at best. They are very clean, have nice amentities but are tiny.

The grounds are clean but the atmosphere at the Westin seems almost sterile. Where did all the beautiful flowers go?? The pools have all been painted a dark blue-green gray to make you feel like you are in the ocean ? Parking was a nightmare, we chose valet parking for $8.00 per day plus $5.00 for tax. The breakfast buffet at $20.00 per person was very minimal and the restaurants had no view. Were we really in Maui ?

I placed a call to Interval World and shared our experience. Customer service offered to move us to the Marriot. I turned this offer down since we had already paid the extra $150 per night which is non-refundable. Interval did refund me my trade fee and return my week back to me. Interval World is a Class Act.

Upon Check out the Front desk asked how my stay was and I explained our experience. I was shocked when she replied "Our Best Rooms Are for Our Owners. How would you feel if at your home resort you had a Non-Owner next to you." Unbelievable ! The experience is making us a little gunshy about trading our units again. I read a review today on the Sands of Kahana from another Interal World member who was told the same thing. Fortunately for them, SOK upgraded them from a horrible room to a nice ocean view. I just wanted to share this review with timehare owners to beware of what can happen when a trade goes wrong.

33 Thank AbbyGalel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Skagit County, WA
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Recently built, the Westin Resort Villas is a timeshare type property, and we had a 2 bedroom garden view room. On the trip was myself, my wife and a friend, so the two bedrooms worked out nice!

The rooms were very nice, which would be expected from such a new resort. There were great garden views of the Koi pond, and could see the pool from our lanai. An ocean view or ocean front room would be spectacular, but we were not disappointed! All the amenities of home in the room... Frig, stove top, microwave, flat panel TV's... a nice BBQ area outside for all to share, we did this 3 nights!

The staff was very friendly, and there are 2 different pools, plus a kiddie pool that has a cool pirate ship for the little ones to play on. The beach was only steps from the pool area, a very nice sandy beach out in front.

There is two restaurants along with a pool bar, as well as plenty of dining options within a mile or two. Whaler's Village is just two miles south, and the quaint old fishing town of Lahaina about five miles. We ate there the nights we didn't BBQ! Close to all, but seemed secluded as well. Nice feeling, nice place.

We hope to go back to this property again and again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank SkagitValleyBoy
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 4, 2009

My husband and I took a delayed honeymoon (7 days, 6 nights), and invited our wedding party to come along. Our best man & his wife, a bridesmaid, came along, and we had a blast!

When we originally booked our travel through Costco, we requested that our room to be near the party we were traveling with. We checked in together as well, and again stated our request. We were placed in an adjoining suite, which worked out perfectly! Our rooms were connected by a common entryway that was closed off to the hallway, but we could leave our doors open to go in & out of each other’s rooms freely, while still allowing for a good amount of privacy if we wanted it.

The view upon entering the hotel lobby is stunning - it makes a wonderful first impression. Checking in for us was very thorough and easy. Since we booked a package deal through Costco, we were given quite a few perks (spa admittance, percentage off spa services, $100 credit for Pulehu restaurant, $150 resort credit, breakfast buffet for 2), which the lady that we checked in with told us how to use, the easiest way to use them. She also mentioned their “going green” program, where you can exchange housekeeping for the day for $12 resort food credit. We took advantage of it, and had housekeeping 2 days out of 6, and had lunch for nearly free a couple times when we were at the resort.

With the deal we had, and the ratings I found on TripAdvisor, I didn’t do too much more research on the hotel, except to find out how many pools they had, how close the beach was, and if we would have a kitchenette. I was very happy to find a washer & drier in our room as well; with all the hiking & beach trips, we needed it! I brought my own detergent, but thankfully the hotel provides you with more because we ended up doing several loads while we were there.

The room we stayed in was wonderful. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel room so big, it felt more like a large studio. The kitchenette was key for this vacay - lots of storage for the drinks & snacks we brought. The fridge had an ice maker! Totally needed that. The bathroom was wonderful: big shower, awesome jetted bathtub, and good sink area with storage for my toiletries. The bed was comfortable. The couch, though, was hard & uncomfortable to sit on.

The breakfast buffet was average. I’m glad we didn’t have to worry about what to do for breakfast every morning, but by the 7th day, my husband & I were a bit buffet-ed out, so we went elsewhere. They had the best bacon & pastries, though!

The main pool area is a lot of fun. If we were on the hotel grounds, you could most likely find me in the pool, going doing the slide, or in a Jacuzzi. I was hoping to spend time on the beach & in the ocean, but the current was near the shore was too rough (that time of the year).

Their lunch selection is pretty good. The couple of times we had lunch at the hotel, everyone was satisfied with their meal. We really couldn’t complain about the price, since we ended up using resort credits – but from what I remember, their prices are pretty typical of hotel restaurants.

Dinner at Pulehu was fantastic! I kind of wish I hadn’t had so much to drink beforehand, as I would’ve liked to have savored the experience a bit more. But... it was a really fun night. :-) Our server, Ciara, was awesome for dealing with our inebriated party – she entertaining, prompt with everything and provided some great suggestions. I’ll list what we ordered.
- Lots of drinks
- Appetizers: crab cakes (oh-so delish) & calamari (pretty good)
- Entrees: zucca ravioli (pretty good; I like butternut squash, but I found the dish too sweet), pesto opakapaka (2 of us ordered this; pretty good, fish was cooked well) and lobsters & sausage (I wish I had ordered this instead! Thankfully my husband was kind enough to share a fair amount. It was by far the best dish ordered at the table!)
- Dessert: warm chocolate cake, shared between 4 of us

My experience at this hotel was incredible. I was sad to have to leave, and I hope the next time we’re in Maui that we are able to stay here again.

3 Thank cocoajo08
New York
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Maui for a 10 day vacation - stopping in the Big Island and Oahu along the way. We stayed in a 1 BR villa and it was beautiful and very spacious. We especially liked the comfort of having a kitchen and washer/dryer in the villa which made it feel like home. They have a beautiful beach in the back of the hotel and the snorkeling there was better than many of the other areas that we tried out. You can swim pretty far out and the water is still shallow. There are also free shuttles from this hotel to a nearby shopping center which is a plus when you want to do a little shopping. The service is great and the pools were not crowded. It was an extremely relaxing hotel and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelfromnyc4life
Vancouver
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We were originally booked for a 12 night Honeymoon stay at the Westin, but after 2 nights we packed up and left. Our 'ocean view' room was at the back of the complex, overlooking a service station with constant noisy garbage and laundry carts rolling by. When we asked to be moved we were only given one option, which was overlooking an empty lot and construction site. I wouldn't consider either room 'ocean view'.

I pre-ordered an expensive bottle of champagne to be waiting in our room as a surprise for my new wife on arrival. I couldn't find it, but she eventually found it shoved into the bottom of the fridge - no ice bucket or glasses.

When we complained to management about our unhappiness, we were told to come down to the front desk to receive a welcome gift - we assumed that they were finally getting the picture that we were unhappy. Our 'welcome gift' consisted of a bunch of pamphlets on tours we could pay for. Thanks a lot.

We spoke to at least 5 or 6 different staff about our unhappiness with the room and service, but nobody seemed to care - we didn't get a single apology and our calls were never returned.

We've stayed at other Westin properties before and have always had good experiences, but after this experience we'll never stay at another Westin again. Not because of the property, but purely because of the horrible service.

13 Thank kquarr
burlington, nj
Reviewed October 26, 2009

This place totally surpassed all of my expectations. My husband and I were celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. The room was HUGE and immaculate. We had a 1 BR villa. The staff were wonderful. We did the breakfast buffet 2 mornings and watched football or baseball while eating..it was wonderful. The fish tacos for lunch were absolutely fabulous. They have a wonderful lounge for departing guests and have an area to take showers with shampoos and soaps and towels so you can hang by the pool or beach on your last day and still clean up before heading to the airport. The beach was nice..we did snorkel out on our beach but found a nicer reef outside of the Sheraton right down the road for snorkelling. There is some beautiful black rock and we watched some cliff divers and snorkled and saw Sea Turtles swimming not far from the shore. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. We stayed here with our transfered disney points. No one tried to sell us on this timeshare property at all. We stayed on the "older" south side but we walked over to the newer North building and actually decided that we liked the south side better..it was quieter.

2 Thank haneya
isa99
Reviewed October 26, 2009

The villas at the Westin Maui are the most amazing. With kitchenettes, living rooms and spacious balconies, I do not want to return home. I want to live life in paradise just a little longer at the Westin Maui Villas.

2 Thank isa99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!