“Say Aloha to a Mighty Fine Resort!”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kent, Washington
“Say Aloha to a Mighty Fine Resort!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Maui – and thoroughly enjoyed our time on the island and at The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. The resort made a striking first (second, second and third) impression on us. The grounds were clean, the amenities were above average and the service was excellent. We were also upgraded to a 1 bedroom villa in the North Tower overlooking the pond (near the lobby) – such a pleasant surprise, and an incredible set up! The room itself was spacious and had a large kitchen area with fridge, oven and cook top, utensils, glasses, small appliances, etc – basically everything you would need if you wanted to cook a few meals yourself and enjoy eating on the lanai. We spent a lot of time at the pool, which was split up into 3 separate areas (kids vs. adults) and included a volleyball net, basketball hoop and waterfall. We didn't swim in the South tower pool area, but there is also access to this pool as well, just a short walk down the boardwalk. There is an ocean side boardwalk that takes you up and down Ka'anapali beach (North and South, separated by Black Rock). At night, be sure to take a stroll and see the toads warming themselves under the lights by the path. Snorkeling is pretty amazing directly in front of the hotel – easily accessible and endless coral reefs populated with colorful fish, turtles and much more. We rented snorkel gear at the Maui Dive Shop in Lahaina, which saved us quite a bit of money (resort charges twice as much...imagine that).

Downsides? The only two I can think of is that the resort bedsheets were pretty "loud"/crunchy and the pillows were much too soft (personal preference) and the resort was approximately 40 minutes from the airport – although pretty much any hotel in Lahaina/Ka'anapali area (or Wailea, etc) will be this far. So really, not many complaints, and would definitely stay here again!

2 Thank kwestalot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,084)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
SF
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

I always chuckle when I read glowing reviews about any hotel or condo property on review sites such as tripadvisor. Since I travel 100 plus days out of the year and have experienced some of the best and the worst hotel stays I have a very jaundiced eye on glowing remarks. When I see the five star experience I think this person must have won a prize or never been anywhere but Disneyland so any hotel experience beyond a motel 6 is considered a “heavenly stay”. Thus, I always read the worst ratings of a property and then the best and try to figure out where my review would fall if this were me writing. So keeping my bias in mind here are my thoughts about this timeshare property in Maui. I will list the pros and then the cons and make my recommendation.

Pros: The property is well maintained and clean. The pools are pretty good and the area does not feel crowded considering the tight space upon which the property is built. Our studio was a fairly good size as a hotel room. It had a large bathroom and separate enclosed toilet. The bed was very comfortable and furniture decent. There is a small table for two which is perfect for a computer table. Sufficient drawer space for two since all you really need are shorts and shirts and a bathing suit. Not even the restaurants require pants. Further, we did not hear noise from the room above us which is important to me. A good size flat screen TV and enough kitchen ware to eat take out. (only) Also a stackable washer and dryer to do laundry. Also the WiFi was pretty good even by the pool . I was able to use it to watch a movie on Netflix on my Ipad.

Cons: First of all let me warn you that you cannot check in before 3-4pm. So if your flight is in the morning you need to find something else to do such as sit by the pool or go to the beach after checking your luggage. Frankly this property is terrible about managing their check in’s. We arrived at 10:30am and did not get into a room until after 3pm and only because we complained at the front desk. They gave us a downgraded room from what we were promised and I am sure it was because we complained. My question to management is why do you have to be out of the room by 10am on the day of check out but not one room is ready before 4pm? Does this mean that all of sudden 100 plus rooms are magically ready at 4pm and not one minute before? The front desk staff just give you a blank look when we asked the question. We filled out a hotel survey request prior to arriving stating the arrival time and so why bother to even fill out the silly survey if no one can check in before 4pm? I see other travelers complained about the same issue with this property so be forewarned. If you check into the hotel at 10:30am then it is not rocket science to have the rooms made available based on your check in time. But it did not seem to matter as rooms were not available until 3-4 pm.

Additionally, check in is laborious painful and the wait is long. Customers who have been on 5 to 15 hour flights to reach Maui and waiting in a check in line for 25 minutes is just over the top. The agents take forever and it does not matter how long the line is there was never more than two agents at the front desk to handle check in’s. Plus you cannot get your room card even though you have checked in until the room is ready thus you get to stand in line all over again to get your key when they call your cell. The agent at the front desk said they were always full at over 90% as if that were to explain their lack of process to manage customer flow. I also thought to myself well if they are always 90% full then why did I get the offer for a discounted stay for 5 nights at the resort? Why was the same unit advertised on kayak for the same period of stay at $255 a night with one day’s advance booking?

The studio given to us because we complained (nicely) at 3pm faced the back of the tiki hut on the ground level where they serve an overpriced mediocre breakfast and lunch food. Avoid it. So we heard noise early morning and late into the night as the workers cleaned the area. This meant keeping the sliding glass door closed and the AC on.

The room was advertised with a kitchen which consisted of a two burner stove top and a microwave and a coffee maker. The frig barely worked and was one designed for a college dorm room. I figured out it did not work because the unit had frozen over the cooling fan and once I removed the ice it worked fine. In fact the layout reminded me of a college double dorm room. We ate one meal in here and said forget it we will just go out to eat. We used the coffee maker and stored some fruit & drinks in the frig because that was all it worth using it for.

We were offered a car rental worth $185 as part of the Westin package which turned out to be a crappy deal and it isn’t really free. We had to pay $70 in “taxes and fees” if we used this offer. We needed the car for an additional two days as we were there for a full week. The cost of renting that car for an additional two days from Avis was highway robbery if we extended the Westin offer. Instead I rented a car for a week from Avis directly and the price worked out much better than going through Westin. So I booked directly with them for a week and saved money. In other words the Westin offer of $70 plus a two day additional rental was the same as renting a car directly from Avis for a week. And I would not have to return to the airport to swap out cars had I split the reservation. If you are only going to be there for 5 days then it is a good deal with the additional $70.

The property is designed for families with kids and this property had plenty. So if you are adverse to being around kids who do what typical kids do around pools in making noise, cry and carry on then this is not your kind of place. Each inch of space is used for lounge chairs so very little privacy and a lot of people surrounding you. Something I intensely dislike. We were smart enough to buy a couple of cheap beach chairs at Wal-Mart by the Maui airport and could sit on the beach away from the kids and the 1000 fellow Westin customers. Oh and they rent chairs for the beach but a rip off at $40 for two chairs and an umbrella. That concession is not managed by Westin.

For those who are interested we did the optional timeshare presentation and for one week it was quoted as $58K and $2700 in yearly dues. I could hardly contain my laughter at the offer knowing I could rent a condo in the same development during the time we were there for $255 a night. I am always amazed people buy into these things but hey maybe money to burn right?

So would I come back even on a similar offer? No. The resort has too many people, no wow factor and just too much of a hassle to stay here. We can do better and will.

Room Tip: When you check in ask where your room is because saying ocean view can be meaningless. If you do no...
15 Thank SFjoe
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear SFjoe,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay at the Westin Villas. Your experience is important to us and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

Since you have mentioned a number of other items in your review, I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you to help us improve with our overall services and resort amenities. We wish to personally discuss your stay and invite you to contact us at krystle.silva@westin.com with your preferred contact information. A Westin team member will shortly thereafter reach out to you.

BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

This resort is in a great location! The beach is fantastic :) great for snorkelling right in front of the resort. For great swimming you walk five minutes down the beach and the sand is so soft with no coral! The general stores on property are hugely inflated! Safeway just down the road. They have a market with Local artisans once a week that was great. The pools were nicely sized and never felt crowded. I would highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank leanne1966
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Mahalo for taking the time to provide us with your review. We are delighted you enjoyed yourself at the resort and were able to take advantage of our resort amenities and beach front location. Our snorkeling indeed is one of the best! Mahalo again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the resort again soon.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at the Westin Villas for a week. We had a studio oceanfront. We were able to sit on our balcony, enjoy the lush grounds, see the ocean and witness some magnificent sunsets. The staff, the bellman, the front desk, wait staff, were very helpful and always pleasant We ate at Pulehu - pizza and salad - exquisite setting and good food. No need to spend more if you do not want! The Kai Ala Market is on property of the south villas but I would recommend that if you need groceries go the Safeway or Times, both near the hotel. In fact, the Westin has 2 shuttles, one that takes you to the other 2 Starwood properties and the other which takes you to several stops in Lahaina which includes the Safeway. When in paradise, stay at a beautiful property!

2 Thank bear003
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We arrived hot and tired. Were upgraded from studio to 1 bedroom. Very spacious, full kitchen, giant hot tub bathtub. Very clean. Could plan for no cleaning service each day for 1 free Breakfast buffet. Worth it! Beds always amazing. Employees very accomadating and nice. Always ready with a recommendation for good times. Resort facilities clean nice and beautiful. No problems at all. Prices high a the resort shops and restaurants but that is to be expected. A wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to share your Westin Villa experience! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt like you were treated with “Hawaiian Royalty.” On behalf of our entire staff, we would like to thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination. We couldn't be delighted to welcome you all back again soon.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE:

A month ago, we stayed here and we had roach infestation in our suite. On Day 1 we saW 2 tiny roaches in the kitchen, but didn't really make a big fuss and just killed them. We were gone all day on Day 2 and came in late (past 11pm). We saw roaches of all sizes in the living, kitchen, bathroom, near the sliding doors, and even crawling on the walls (we took about 10 pictures). We spoke with Jerrod (the hotel manager) and I was very disappointed with his response: "Roaches on the island is really a common thing. Now, if you live in the city, like Chicago where I'm from, I would say that's a problem." I corrected him and told him that roaches of all sizes whether in the city or an island in a 4-5 star-rated hotel, is a major issue and is uncommon. He offered to move me to a room directly above the one we were in. So, I asked him what he would do if that unit had a roach infestation also since we saw roaches near the sliding doors of the suite we were in and they were on the walls (so what if they're coming from the AC vents)? I asked to be moved to a different tower. Then, he went on say that they were actually doing us a favor since they upgraded us during check-in to a 1 bedroom suite free of charge. I responded that I never asked for it nor did I want it, but that was the only thing they had available then, according to the front desk receptionist.

On our third day, we were finally moved to a different tower. I asked Jerrod to refund me for the 2 nights that we had to stay in the unit with all the roaches. He said the best he could was give me a $200 resort credit, under the conditions that I could only use it on the Westin property and before check-out. I told him that the fair thing to do was give me credit for the 2 nights that I actually paid for due to the inconvenience and major sanitation issue. He said he couldn't give me that refund since I booked through a third-party, which was Priceline. He told me I should take his deal because it's the best I will get. This "manager" has no customer service skills. So I reached out to Angela Nolan (Westin General Manager), I left 2 voicemails and even a message with the front desk---no response! I guess, our issue wasn't a concern to her.

This finally forced me to contact the corporate office (Starwood corporate office), that's when I received the "real" customer service that I've been looking for. The person I spoke to was a pro at handling the problem, was very professional, and wouldn't end our call until he spoke to someone from the actual resort. A few minutes, we were picking up our SPG card, worth 60,000 points from Jerrod. Mind you while Jerrod was processing this transaction, he was talking to another employee and trying to act funny in front of us…we were not impressed, to say the least.

Now, a month later, I'm ready to use the 60,000 points to book another Starwood property, and to my dismay, customer service informed that my card actually showed a negative balance of 60,000. So I callede the Westin in Kaanapali again and asked to have this reversed. What a shocker, no one can help right now and they can't explain how this happened.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank G M
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Aloha,
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We extend our deepest apologies for the lack of response and issues that you experienced during your stay with us. I am currently working with our leadership team on the issue. Please know that this is not representative of our standards and that we would be grateful to have the opportunity to personally discuss in further detail the aspects of your stay. Please reply to this private message with your preferred contact information to krystle.silva@westin.com so that we may reach out to you. Again, we apologize and we look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband and I had originally booked via our travel agent, into the Westin hotel - ensure you are aware of the difference! After reading less than glowing reports on trip advisor regarding the hotel, our booking was changed to the Westin villas - what a coup! There was nothing we could have wished for that wasn't provided. We stayed in an oceanfront front studio villa in the north building, which suited us perfectly. The north building seems newer and is a little quieter. The restaurants, pools and bars are wonderful. We enjoyed the adult pool and could see that the water slide in the pool at the south building would be a huge draw card for families with children. The resort offers the most welcomed shuttle service to the Whalers village and further the Lahaina, which we took advantage of.

Room Tip: Request room in northern building.
3 Thank Vicki P
Aloha! Thank you for taking the time to provide your wonderful comments about your stay with us. We truly appreciate it and are thrilled to hear that we met your expectations. We are also glad to hear that you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle service that helps makes your vacation a care-free experience. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you again soon.