“Beautiful views and atmosphere!”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hastings, mn
“Beautiful views and atmosphere!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed here Feb 8-15, 2014. It's our first time to Maui and we loved it. Our suite was in building 3 and on the 4th floor with a side view of ocean. Our room was spacious with a small kitchenette which was perfect for us, we don't eat many meals in, usually breakfast. The bed was so comfortable!! The pool area was nice and plenty of chairs for everyone. They tell you that you can't save chairs for more than an hour, but it still goes on everywhere:( So the favorite spots are always taken by 8:00am!! The pool restaurant is good, but a little pricey. They do have a small store onsite, which is nice. They have a shuttle to Whalers village and a few other stops which is nice. About a 25 minute to Whalers on a nice walking path. We will be staying here again!!

3 Thank sassy48

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed February 25, 2014

i always have a good experience at the villas. extended our stay and moved to a 1st floor room after 2 weeks on the 5th floor. upon entering the room, my sinuses clogged, i suspect from a mold. the sinuses clear when i'm away away from the room. i think being as we're on a slab floor which is carpeted, the floor is susceptible (excuse my spelling) to mold especially by the air conditioner. i'm the ony one in my party who is experiencing this, so guess i'll have to spend more time at the beach. just a heads up. again, always enjoy my stay. rsp

Room Tip: can't choose your room, it's picked for you on a first-come basis. if you reserve 8 months...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Aloha Robert S,
We are delighted to hear that we provided you with a positively memorable experience in your recent visits to the Westin Villas. We sincerely apologize that you had a negative experience with your villa. Rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the Hotel Management Staff to prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future. We wish to personally discuss your stay with us and invite you to contact us at krystle.silva@westin.com with your preferred contact information. A Westin team member will shortly thereafter reach out to you. Mahalo again as we sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back to our Westin family upon your next visit

San Francisco
Reviewed February 25, 2014

They say that the true measure of a quality establishment is not how they perform when things are going right, but how they respond when things go wrong. In this regard, Westin failed me
We have stayed at this property for 4 years – 3 without incident. Each time, we rented through an owner and effectively became their “guest”. What I didn’t realize was that because we were only an owner’s guest, no one at Westin cared about us or would help us when things went wrong.

Each year, we booked a full year in advance in order to “guarantee” a specific unit type in a highly desirable location on the property (South Property, larger unit, beachfront with 180 degree ocean view). This resort has many rules and regulations which must be followed, and only by booking so far in advance could you be “guaranteed” the location (in fact, as there are only 24 of these, they “sell out” in minutes on the day they are released). You pay a premium price for these units.

One day prior to our departure, they called us to say that due to “occupancy issues”, they would not be honoring our guaranteed room.

In attempting to deal with this situation, I learned a fair bit about how this property operates. Booking here actually involves up to four parties

1. The Owner (makes the booking)
2. Central Owner Services in Florida (accepts the booking)
3. Property Management (assigns the rooms)
4. Owner Services on Property (don’t know what they do as Sandy would not return my repeated calls).

When inquiring what happened, the finger pointing began. Tim at Central Owner Services blamed the property saying they were responsible for room assignments. The property blamed Owner Services for taking 25 bookings for 24 rooms. No one took responsibility or could explain why I was not told sooner of the “overbooking” (if that’s what it really was). They did promise me an Ocean Front unit in the North Property. However, when I arrived, I discovered that the “oceanfront” unit they assigned was actually halfway back the property overlooking the pool – it was “ocean view” at best.

Upset, I asked to speak with a Manager. The front desk staff member would repeatedly go to the back room for several minutes only to return to say no one was around. It took 40 minutes of my requests and finally demands for her to finally coax the manager Kraig out of the back room to speak with me. After an hour at the check-in desk, he gave me a slightly better location, but still vastly inferior to what we had booked (and paid for). To compensate me, they gave me a free dinner and some fruit. There were a couple of other things he said he might be able to do for us, but after we left the front desk, we didn’t hear from him again.

My lesson learned – there are a lot of moving parts to booking through an owner – and if things go wrong – Westin could care less about you as you are not their customer. The Manager, Kraig, in fact asked me if I was an owner. I said, “No. Does it matter?”. He said, “Yes sir, it does”.

You need an owner who will advocate for you. It's not clear what my owner did on my behalf. She did make an adjustment on my rate, which I appreciated, but it is unlikely that I will return to this property.

7 Thank Bob999
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Aloha Bob999,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your experience and apologize that there was no follow up on such an important matter. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly and assist. Please contact me krystle.silva@westin.com so we may discuss this further.

Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We spent 9 nights for mid winter break in February. We paid over $725 per night 9with tax) for an "ocean view" one bedroom, and it was not an ocean view - you could see a peek-a-boo view of the ocean through the trees. We were also right across from the slide area of the pool and heard constant kid noise and "screams" from the slide. With this being said, the location on the beach is great - best snorkel spot on Kaanapali beach. Turtles live right in front of hotel, and there are tons of brightly colored fish. We also saw whales jumping daily in front of the hotel. Housekeeping was included in our daily rate, and the service was good. On the days we elected not to have housekeeping, we received (1) free ticket to the breakfast buffet. The property feels more like a Condo Time Share rental than a hotel - not much night life, no shops other than convenience store. Everything was basically quiet by 9 pm every night. The complimentary shuttle to Lahaina was nice, but a bit of a time burner by the time you made stops to other hotels, etc. Last pick up was also 10pm so not a good choice if you wanted to stay out past 10. Chairs for the beach were $10 each, and $20 for umbrella, so for the (4) of us, it was $80/day for the beach. The restaurant by the south building was good, however, during the day hours, there were a zillion birds flying around, on and off the tables, etc. It was unnerving and felt unsanitary.
We ended up renting a jeep for 3 days and highly recommend you rent a car or jeep while on Maui. There is so much to see and do once you get away from the property, and the 5 miles to Lahaina is quick with your own car. Great restaurants in town were Kimo's, Bubba Gumps (casual), and Lahaina Fish company. Maui Fish and Pasta Co., at Whaler's Village was also great. This was our second trip to Maui and first at this property. We would recommend if you want Condo feel with good snorkeling.

Room Tip: If you stay in the South Building, be sure you are on the 5th or 6th floor or you will not see the o...
Aloha SunandSkiFam,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about your villa and restaurant experience– we would like the opportunity to speak to you. Please feel free to email krystle.silva@westin.com and we will be happy to discuss your experience further.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I feel like I had very, very high expectations going in to this trip. My husband and I had planned this as a surprise Christmas present for our 2 boys, ages 9 and 12, and made reservations almost a year in advance so there was definitely time for the anticipation to build. First trip to Maui for the boys and me, 2nd time for my husband. The Westin KOR was absolutely everything that I hoped it would be! We stayed in Building 5 in the North villas in a 2 bedroom lock-off and I wouldn't have changed a single thing. I stressed for months because of reviews that I had read stating that people were upset about reserving a certain type of room but getting something else entirely. But Brandon at reception quickly put my fears to rest when he indicated that we would be in the oceanfront room that we had paid for. As a bonus we also overlooked the end of the pool closest to the ocean which was great for sitting on the lanai while the boys were playing basketball in the pool with new friends. The 2 bedroom lockoff was perfect in that it allowed us to have our privacy while being within "shouting" distance to the boys. Outside of breakfast we didn't eat meals there although the set up to do so was perfect. You really have everything you need to make even a gourmet dinner. It was great having a washer and dryer as I was able to get most of our clothes cleaned before we left. Nice not to have to come home to 5 loads of laundry! Not having room service everyday wasn't a problem and actually was a positive as we didn't have to worry about when someone was coming to clean and if we would be there and feel in the way. There were plenty of towels and who really needs to have their sheets changed everyday?

The people manning the concierge area were wonderful in helping to plan and reserve the different activities that we wanted to do. They did mention the timeshare presentation but were not pushy at all once we told them we weren't interested. The staff around the rest of the resort was generally friendly and helpful. We had at least one meal at all 3 restaurants and although I'm not going to rank any of them in my top 5 meals ever it was a good selection of well prepared food with good service. Was it expensive? Yes, compared to Cincinnati but we completely expected this and prepared for that. We never had a single problem getting lounge chairs exactly where we wanted them and we were there during President's week so have to assume one of their busier weeks.

Here are my only cons: self-parking was a bit silly because almost every space within a couple minute walk of the lobby was for compact cars. Considering how much the majority of people are paying to stay here I feel it's a little petty to charge for lounge chairs on the beach.

You can't go wrong with the Westin KOR especially if you're traveling to Maui with children! I would go back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Aloha Beth S,
Thank you for your kind and informative review. We truly appreciate the time you put in to provide feedback and share your Westin Villas experience with other travelers. I am so happy to hear that you had a wonderful family vacation and we are thrilled to have been a part of it. I can’t agree with you more about having a washer/dryer in the unit. It surely makes travelling less stressful when you have to pack enough clothes for a week or more. Thank you for your feedback regarding self-parking and the lounge chair rental on the beach. I will be sure to pass your review to our leadership team. If you would like to discuss your stay further please feel free to email me your preferred contact information to krystle.silva@westin.com and we will be happy to connect with you.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

What a great place to stay the staff just go overboard insuring that you maximize your downtime here

At the pool Brandon on a sadly basis made our stay even better . He made sure we knew the snorkel spots where to get the best sun and how to mellow out . The suites here are excellent and westin runs a terrific resort

Unstable lean back relax and watch the whales from the pool area and get to know. Isiah and Brandon who will make your week.

Room Tip: Island view here is not a step down at all so feel confident where ever you end up it's all good
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha Steven F! We are so proud to read that Brandon and Isiah made such a positive impact on your stay. I will be sure to forward your comments to the leadership team to ensure they are both recognized. We wish you a happy and wonderful rest of the year. Thank you again for your review!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were very excited about staying at this property after viewing it online. Unfortunately, we were in the South bldg., which is showing some wear. This property is billed as "Resort Villas", but was nothing more than a glorified hotel room with a kitchenette. Another disappointing discovery was that our room did not have a lanai and we were really looking forward to enjoying the outdoors. Next, our room overlooked the parking lot which was adjacent to the highway. Needless to say, we could not leave our patio door open at night because of the noise. I could understand it, if the property was sold out, but I think it was about 50% occupied. Lastly, if you want any type of housekeeping, it is an additional charge! On the positive side, the staff were very friendly & the concierge gave us some restaurant recommendations that we really enjoyed. The grounds were beautiful and there were several common areas with barbecue grills & seating if you wanted to cook outdoors. If we return to this property, we will definitely request the North bldg. as none of the rooms face a parking lot.

Room Tip: Request a room in the North bldg. and make sure it has a lanai.
1 Thank Teri F
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Aloha Teri F,
Mahalo for taking the time to provide us with your review. On behalf the Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas, we would like to apologize for the highway noise that you endured and the conditions of your villa. Please know that we genuinely care about your stay and would be pleased to have the opportunity to hear about the details of your stay. If you’d like, please send me your preferred contact information to krystle.silva@westin.com, so that we may reach out to you. Again, we apologize for our shortcomings and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Krystle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!