“Great location in kaanapali”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in September at the time of the Maui marathon. I received one of those Starwood preferred guest offers for 5 nights at a greatly reduced price. This is Starwood's time-share property in Maui. These offers are an attempt to get potential clients to buy a vacation ownership. As long as one realizes that and can tolerate a little sales, this offer was a great value. The guests on this offer are put up in a choice of units. I chose the non/ocean view as it was less costly. The only room complaints I had were that a tile was chipped in the main walkway to the kitchen, and there was a lot of baseboard damage. I asked for the tile to be repaired the morning after arrival, and it was patched within hours. They also offered to change rooms if the tile could not be repaired. The room also smelled like cigarette smoke, so I bought a room freshener that was pineapple scented. Later I found out that a couple had been asked to leave that room because of smoking. Other than that, it was nice to have a washer/dryer in the room. Also nice to have a regular coffee maker and refrigerator. There was traffic noise from7 am to around 8 pm. Regardless, I slept we'll here.
The grounds are wonderful. There is an open air restaurant near the pool that does a big breakfast buffet. The beach is spectacular... Beautiful with arching palms nearby and a coral reef which is spectacular to snorkel in. The staff were all very polite. One lady, who worked in the little store, realized that she had overcharged me for some magazines, while the register wad broken,so she put the payback in a little bag and gave it to me the next day.
You do get charged for little things like parking, beach chairs. But, I got so many "resort credits" by attending the sales pitch, meeting with a concierge, that I had parking paid for, plus got souvenirs. Really this is a great deal, but guests who are not vacation owners must realize that they are not going to be in the newest areas with great views, unless you want to pay extra.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank SoloTravelRunner
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Aloha,
Mahalo for taking the time to provide us with your review. We appreciate your mana'o (thoughts) and the opportunity to rectify the issues during your stay. We appreciate the gift of feedback you provided us as it ensures that we continually strive to improve the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Westin ohana in the future.

Mahalo nui loa!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,567)

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We have been owners at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas for numerous years and visit at least twice a year, and I can't express enough how competent and accommodating the staff is each time we visit.
I must also mention the following pool staff starting out with Jesse P., Philip A., Sam, Ken K., Brandon, Vincent,. Sean, and Melisa. They we all very informative not only about the best areas to snorkel, but about Maui in general. I look forward to seeing them. I found out a few of them are from Tacoma, Washington and since we are from that area we have a lot in common!
Another compliment goes to Tosh Fujita from the bell desk! He had a great personality and we started off our friendship when he saw my SEAHAWKS shirt and he said "jokingly" he was a 49ers fan!
All in all, the Westin has a great team and we have never been disappointed!
GOOOOOOOOO SEATTLE SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: It varies as to when you go. March and April are really busy months but it's whale season and yo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cystodoc

Aloha! Thank you for your wonderful review. I will be sure that Jesse P, Phillip A, Sam, Ken K, Brandon, Vincent, Sean and Melissa receive your comments. We are so proud of our Pool & Beach Services department and how they are committed to continually making connections with our guests. I will be sure to pass your kind words to Tosh Fujita as well. Mahalo again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Maui.
Mahalo,
Krystle

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Rarely, in my many years of travel, have I experienced the kind of customer service I received at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, and I don't believe I have ever written a review like I will write today. From the moment my husband and I stepped foot on the ground, from the bell person greeting us at our car, to the concierge person who introduced us to the property, the service was beyond amazing. We arrived early and our room was not quite ready but Jade, a front desk agent, checked us in so when the room was ready it would be a simple procedure. The check-in experience was fabulous. Jade offered us a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite, but when I said the room wasn't as important to us as the view, she immediately looked at other rooms and found a one-bedroom suite with a beautiful view. That experience was followed by lunch at the Pailolo Bar & Grill. Our server was awesome and Jade called me on my cell phone to tell me our room was ready just as we were finishing lunch. When we returned to get our keys, Jade greeted us by name and made us feel like we were VIP guests.

Our next incredible experience came when we met with the hotel concierge person assigned to us, Akesa. Akesa exemplified everything one would expect in 5-star customer service. She was professional and courteous, but with a warmth and familiarity that made us feel comfortable and at home from the beginning. Without a doubt, she was THE highlight of our Westin experience. I am not sure how Westin trains or hires their personnel, but whomever is in charge deserves kudos!

Although Jade and Akesa were "name notable", each person with whom we came in contact, was outstanding. The rooms at this hotel are lovely and well equipped, as one would expect from a Westin in Maui, but it is the customer service that make this hotel different than any other my husband and I have experienced!

You will gather from my previous reviews on Trip Advisor that, to me, customer service is paramount! We expect cleanliness and excellence in our hotel rooms. The only thing that differentiates the great hotels from the one of a kind hotels is the customer service. The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas is at the top! Thanks!

Room Tip: Although we had booked a standard room, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite. I don't know w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This very large resort is mostly time share rentals, but we stayed for a four day trip booked through Westin. We reserved an Ocean View Deluxe Studio many months in advance and had the reservation confirmed. When we arrived at the resort, we had to wait until four to get our condo (which is typical), but were very dismayed to discover that the condo looked out on a large air conditioner which was screened by tall vegetation. We basically had a view of the sky and not too much of that. We were also on the first floor with an elevated walkway going by the room and the total impression was that we were living in a cave. Although we immediately requested another condo, because we were staying from Wednesday through Sunday, we did not match the Saturday to Saturday rhythm of the time shares--and they said they couldn't do anything. We checked again the next day, but still nothing. We were unable to move from the cave the four days we were there despite having paid for an upgraded room. When this was discussed with the management, they were very concerned about improving their front desk training, but did not offer anything for the poor quality room. I am sure that visitors who stay in a time share would have many more options, and the resort itself was nice and well located. There are many options for condo rentals in this area including the Honua Kai nearby that offer a great deal more for the money. Westin sold us something that they did not deliver, and we feel that they didn't even come close to working the situation out to our satisfaction.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Electric2
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Aloha and thank you for your comments. We are greatly disappointed that we were unable to provide you with a perfect stay. As we take great pride in our staff who are dedicated to providing instinctive and renewing service, we would be grateful to have the opportunity to personally speak with you in further detail on how we missed the mark. Please respond to krystle.silva@westin.com with your preferred contact information and a Westin team member will personally connect with you. Again we apologize and thank you for taking the time to provide your review.

Mahalo,
The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My family and I have been vacationing at this resort for the past 7 years. It continues to be wonderful. This last time pool and activities staff Vincent Noga went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant. We had brought our 1 year old son with us and he had the patience and courage to help us investigate sunglasses, child swim goggles, and beach gear. Amazing customer service-thank you!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank KBMiller20
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Absolute best resort ever.Front desk staff excellent,so helpful.Pool areas are fantastic,everything is maintained so well.
We received the "Luau" as a gift. It was fantastic.The best holiday we have ever had.The Westin continues to be a world class resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I have been coming here every year for 8years. Love the spacious condos, even the studio villas are roomy and nice. Twice we've brought family and stayed in the large 2BR. Everyone loves this No Kaanapali location, the pools, and this beach location. Our 5 yr old grandson says this is his favorite "house" (timeshare condo) and never, ever wants to leave...between the beach and the great kids pool with a pirate ship to play on (at Villas North)...I understand his enthusiasm and agree with him!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 31 in Lahaina
The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!