“Absolutely stunning!!!! Best vacation so far”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Absolutely stunning!!!! Best vacation so far”
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from Maui. Love this place.. it is paradise. I just have few comments and suggestions.

I would think that if I am paying for that much a night, I would hope that westin should give us free things to use such as beach chairs and umbrellas. To rent them as well as cabannas are ridiculous. Snorkeling gear to rent is 18? I could have both one from walmart for onlg 25 dollars. Would it be different if I am a gold member / owner now? I would hope so as these are essential s that a villa beach resort should offer to your owners.

I agree.. the check in time was ridiculous. . Waited til 430 to be checked in.

I did not eat at all in the hotel restaurant. . I would not mind driving to lahaina or even as far as Maleala to eat ot drive to walmart to get some food to cook myself as I think the food at the hotel is priced ridiculously high. Maybe westinb would consider a breakfast buffet for free for owners.
I enjoyed amenities but as a first timer in Maui.. I made sure I get to see the Almost whole of Maui. I am tired but soo worth it. Love to thank Korin my concierge who pre planned everything for me. Even got some discount as i pre booked as well.

Looking forward to my next Maui trip

• Stayed August 2013
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Aloha,
Maui is paradise and thank you for expressing how you “Love this Place." At the Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas we strive to make your stay exhilarating and renewing. I have passed along your kind words to Korin at the Concierge desk. We would like the opportunity to personally discuss your recent stay with you. If you are able to send us your preferred contact information via private message to krystle.silva@westin.com, a member of our Westin team will contact you directly. Mahalo again as we appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back to our Westin family upon your next visit.

The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,156)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cockeysville Hunt Valley, Maryland
Reviewed August 23, 2013

On my fifth trip to Maui, I decided it was time to stay other than in Wailea, so I picked the Westin Villas as my destination of choice. I requested a two- (2) bedroom Villa with both mountain and ocean views and surprisingly they delivered a corner unit. The room was spacious with many high-end amenities. The cleaning staff was very friendly and overall the property is well maintained and clean. The grounds and pools may not be as lush and elaborate as the Grand Wailea where we historically stay, but we grew to like it better. Its simple and sometimes simpler is better. The property is located near Lahaina, where we visited a number of times due to the selection of restaurants, often on the free shuttle. The beach was not very crowded and the snorkeling is superb. The only criticism I would make is that the fitness center equipment is not suitable for the number of guests. Often we would have to wait or return due to the limited number of cardio equipment. However, this would not inhibit me from returning to the beautiful beach and true hospitality!

1 Thank mike_kwiatkowski
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is not a great place to stay if you are looking for peace and quiet...the pools are overrun with screaming children. There is an "adult pool" but it is behind a building with no view of the ocean and no sun. We definitely noticed the sewage smell as other reviewers noted as well. We got a great package deal but would never choose this property to stay at without it. My main reason for writing this review is to warn future guests to avoid the on site restaurant, Pulehu like the plague. This is advertised as a high end Italian restaurant but couldn't be further from the truth. First off, our waiter was very nice but inexperienced. His descriptions of the evenings specials were so vague it was clear he was not well trained. The food was also very expensive- $23 for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs and the meatballs were awful...definitely frozen with no texture. $14 for a Caprese salad with mealy tomatoes. If you can't serve a nice ripe tomato in August there is something wrong. The icing on the cake of the evening is that they seated a family with unruly children right next to us....we probably should have asked to be moved but by that point in the evening we were already unhappy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Leanne K
Ventura County
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Let me start off by saying that my family and I have enjoyed a previous vacation in Maui at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas.

Our recent visit to the resort resulted in disappointment due to the sales tactics used by the timeshare sales member, the poor customer service at the activities booth and the sewage smell that wafted across the resort on certain afternoons.

Timeshare Presentation
Our sales presentation began with our salesman explaining how he was new to the job and that he would try his best to answer any questions we had during the presentation (decent start except we later found out that he was actually a veteran timeshare salesman but only new to the Westin). He then started talking about how he met his wife, how many horses she owned in California and how wonderful she was letting him work in Maui while she stayed back home in California. So far pretty low key.

Once we completed the presentation on the benefits of the timeshare we moved to a separate room where he talked about the cost of the timeshare package. When the presentation was completed and our questions were somewhat addressed I told him that we would not be interested in this particular offer. This is where his demeanor abruptly changed. At first I thought he was going to cry (no kidding), he then stated that he could not believe we were not making a purchase and that he thought we would certainly become owners. After sulking for a good couple of minutes (very uncomfortable) he starting going over the presentation again (as if we didn't understand it the first time). He then called in another guy to go over more information (options, points, etc.) who was very rude when I told him we were not interested.

Our salesman then tried to go back over the numbers. The kicker was when he insinuated that I was not smart enough to take the deal and that a "really smart guy" had come in earlier in the day and thought it was a great deal. Luckily I had just read a book on the plane about moments like this and how to react without overreacting. The tool worked as my wife and I both walked out with our integrity intact. I certainly cannot say the same about the Westin sales team.

At this point I am not sure if the great beach and awesome snorkeling is enough to overcome these lasting "memories" on our next trip to the island.

Room Tip: Building 2 is preferable.
3 Thank sfdfamily
Aloha and thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for providing you with a less than perfect stay. We are saddened to hear about the deficiencies you experienced with our Sales and Activities Team. This is certainly not to our standard as we strive to provide our guests with positively memorable experience. Our leaders are following up on these occurrences and would like to contact you personally to restore your faith in us. Please send me your preferred contact information to krystle.silva@westin.com so that one of our Westin team members are able to reach out to you. Mahalo again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed August 21, 2013

**WE STAYED IN THE NORTH VILLAS

We moved to the Villas after 3 nights at the Sheraton. We requested an early check-in in person at 9:00 a.m. - You would think that if they know someone is waiting for a room, they'd get it done ASAP. Not the case - We finally got our room at 3:45 p.m. but took it without the carpets being cleaned (they were vacummed just not cleaned). FRUSTRATING!

We had a 2 bedroom lockoff. The smaller bedroom had an issue with the AC being very loud, we asked them to fix it and they left us a note saying they "flipped a switch to a different setting" the thing was still loud! We had our cleaning on Monday of our stay and when we came up from the beach on Tuesday, we had them cleaning our room again without asking. It was very confusing.

We only ate the first afternoon at the pool bar while still waiting for our room. Expensive and lack of variety about sums it up.

The pool had a ton of sand in it - which I am sure can't be helped too much - but the jacuzzi near the beach was dirty and had white stuff floating on the surface. Don't know what it was so went to the other jacuzzi.

Used the BBQ's a couple of times which were great. However, you have to get one early and not all of them were in working order.

Having only a cooktop is a challenge, as well as a lack of kitchen necessities. We managed. They do have a convection microwave oven, but you can't really bake cookies or brownines in it, they just don't turn out the same.

Once again, my son forgot something - his new pair of Reef mens flip-flops, size 11 - I have contacted housekeeping and their lost and found but of course they are not there - I hope the housekeepers like their new shoes.

Tips: Send items ahead of time if you can, or bring in a suitcase - plastic silverware; salt & pepper; laundry detergent; pancake mix; favorite snacks for kids. Items are so much more expensive in Hawaii that taking what you can does help.

I prefer the Marriott Villas or the Westin Hotel

4 Thank nancy f
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Aloha! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. As it is our commitment to provide renewing experiences for our guests, we are disappointed to have read your comments that stated otherwise and apologize for our shortcomings. Please know that our Leaders are following up with the team to pinpoint the issues that occurred and prevent them from happening again. We would be grateful for the opportunity to further discuss your recent stay at our resort in hopes we can restore your faith in us. Please send me your preferred contact information to krystle.silva@westin.com so that one of our Westin team members are able to reach out to you. Mahalo again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I traveled to the Westin on their package deal as a guest and had a studio suite. We had the best time ever! The resort is awesome and really has everything you need right there on the property. We were there August 9 - 14th so there were quite a few families with children but it didn't seem overly crowded. The studio suite was roomy for the two of us and had everything we needed. There was a musty smell but we aired out the unit for a day and it went away. I think the humidity had a lot to do with it.

I would highly recommend booking the private cabana dinner if you want to splurge on a special occasion. I surprised my husband and we had the best romantic evening of the trip. Tom Florin in Catering was great to work with and he helped me keep the secret and make it a special evening. The location is on the lawn area right by the beach so you enjoy the sunset with just the two of you. They set up a private cabana that is secluded from the other guests, except those occasional ones that take the path to the beach, however it seemed very private. The food was spectacular and our server made sure we had a very enjoyable evening.

The beach in front of the Westin is awesome and has the best snorkeling around. We rented an umbrella and chairs so they set up everything for us. Both of the pool bar/restaurants had great drinks and food. No complaints at all.

We also scheduled the tour and didn't feel pressured by the tour staff what so ever. This was a very nice surprise because at other resorts we felt like they wanted to keep us there until we committed. We didn't have that experience here at all.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone going to Maui as I think it's one of the nicest ones on the island.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed August 20, 2013

They have a terrific kid pool, with a pirate ship in it! That tells you the style of the joint to begin, this place is about families and that's what I'd recommend it for. Having a villa with a kitchen (very nice, fully functional) was a huge asset, especially around breakfast. The amenities are great and most of the service was really great. The one area they might be able to improve is on the daily housekeeping for "hotel" guests. I gather that the timeshare people only get 1x/wk service, but hotel people get daily service. It was a bit spotty, and often came at very inconveinent times in the afternoon. I figure though, if all I have to complain about in Maui is calling for another bottle of shampoo, life's ok.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Krystle S, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Aloha,
Mahalo for your recommendation to other travelers, and yes, the pirate ship pool is a popular venue for our keiki. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of the resort amenities. We have shared your comments with our housekeeping team for immediate follow up and would like the opportunity to personally discuss your concerns. Please send me your preferred contact information to krystle.silva@westin.com so that one of our Westin team members are able to reach out to you. Mahalo again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Mahalo,
The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!