Family with 2 kids (3 and 7 years). We stayed here 5 nights as part of a Westin promotion (sent to prospective time share buyers). For the price we paid, the resort was fantastic.
Unit – they gave us a complimentary upgrade from a studio to a one bedroom. Unit was great – your typical modern, clean and well-furnished Westin. Spacious and luxurious feeling with a huge bathroom. Was a ground level unit – not much view but all ground units have a patio with walk out to lawn/pool areas. There was even a folding step stool we put out so the kids could reach the bathroom sink. I was a little surprised by the lower quality pots, pans and kitchen appliances. I expected more of a mid-grade quality for this caliber of resort. Similarly, the sofa bed was very uncomfortable, even relative to other sofa beds. An interesting thing to note – when you stay at many of the “fully owned” vacation rentals in Maui, the owners and past guests leave behind things like boogie boards, beach equipment, laundry detergent, coffee filters, etc. which is nice. No such at these time share properties. Everything
Resort – beautiful, everywhere you walk are lush gardens, koi fish ponds, pools, pathways, always clean. The resort is huge with a South and North complex. We were in the North side of the North complex. It was a bit hike to other parts of the resort. The three pool areas a well spread out which is good (more space) and bad (harder to go from one pool to the other). Kids loved the Pirate ship pool and the slide in the main pool. The staff were very flexible about it – no height limit, kids had to be able to swim away at bottom on their own. My 3 year old son was able to use the slide with floaties on his arms. Temperature of pools was very comfortable during day – just a tad little cold at night.
Service/Dining/Activities – We did not require a lot of service but when we did – everyone was friendly and accommodating. Only went to pool restaurant once. As expected, we pricey but good. Did not use the Kids club since it we wanted to spend time as a family. (BTW - it’s expensive at $90/day and $50 for half day) There is very little in terms of free activities at the resort – daily fish feeding, ping pong. Rest have a fee.
Beach Access/Location – there is a nice boardwalk and green space between the resort and the beach. I was a little disappointed in the beach itself. Sandy area is narrow and the beach drops off (water gets deep) quickly at the shoreline which makes for strong shore breaks. Was not good for the kids. We ended up driving to Kapuala Bay (north) and Baby Beach (south) which were safer for kids. None of these beaches were good for boogie boarding – Kihei beaches are much better for that.
Time Share Sales – We agreed to do the timeshare tour. Incentives were 50% off Starwood hotel rates (up to 5 nights) and 7500 Starwood points. Reps were very professional and respectful although tour took about 2 hours. We said were not interested at this time and they offered us another promo deal to come back within 2 years which we did take.
Overall, this is a beautiful resort with great service and great amenities. I reduced the rating by 1 star for the beach, convenience of getting around the resort (too big) and the fact that everything was a bit expensive. Using the Marriot Ko Olina in Oahu as a very similar comparison – we just had a little more fun there.
But we will be coming back since we took the promo deal!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and West Maui Mountains, makes The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas the perfect island retreat. Each spacious and stylish one and two-bedroom villas include private lanais, full-sized kitchens, washers and dryers, generous living and dining room areas, and complimentary Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas Hotel Lahaina
- Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
- Westin Lahaina
- Westin Ka Anapali Ocean Hotel
- Westin Villas Maui
- Lahaina Westin
- Westin Maui Villas
- The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas Maui/Lahaina