“Villa's North”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rochester, Mi
“Villa's North”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Westin Villa’s North....We stayed in a studio in building 7 Rm 564. The location was nice but the room was tiny with lots of wasted space and little storage space (we used the separate oversized bathtub for our clothes). The best thing was the washer/dryer (even if it did take quite awhile for the clothes to dry). The shower was average (tiny shower head) with no shelf space for regular size shampoo… all that was there is 1 for the soap. The heavenly bed was very comfortable…the pull out couch was not. Kitchen area very tiny as well, although did like the full size fridge. Outside grills were a godsend since cooking in the studio kitchen is a nightmare. Check in and out was very efficient (3-4 people working there every time we went by). Ate at the pool bar several times and the food and service were very good. The pool deck service was spotty, depended on who was working… Antonio was fabulous, the ditsy brunette with the short ponytail was not (we actually went to the bar ourselves to get drinks because she was so bad). We used the shuttle several times and it was always on time.
The pool area is way to small for the amount of people there…chairs are GONE by 9am, and if you aren’t there by 7am you are in the sun all day. Not kidding when I say I was there at 6am in order to get a good seat by an umbrella… now I don’t have a problem getting a cabana, if they weren’t in the stupidest locations…seriously. I think in the busy times you really need to get more chairs out and put them in the grassy area between the pool and ocean (since there really isn’t anywhere else to put them).
Overall a good time but would not stay here again unless I was in at least a 1 bedroom unit.

Room Tip: studios are very small... would only stay here again if I had a 1 bedroom or more
1 Thank elphie1162
sean_tamon, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Aloha elphie1162,

Mahalo for your kind words and constructive feedback. We appreciate the time you took out of your day to provide your mana'o (thoughts) to us for how we can improve our resort. We are currently looking into how we can improve our pull-out sofa's mattresses as we do understand this is a concern for our guests. We are glad you took advantage of the pool deck services and the BBQ grills outside. Antonio is definitely an asset to our pool deck team and we appreciate you thanking him for his hard work; we will be sure to acknowledge him. In addition, we will follow up with our food and beverage team regarding the service experience you encountered with your other pool deck server. Again, we appreciate the feedback and thank you for your time. If you have any further concerns, please feel free to reach out to me via direct message on TripAdvisor.

Mahalo,

The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,145)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Birmingham
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Long story short - Maui was awesome - the resort was not. Terrible view from room - a slice of the ocean = "ocean view+. all properties are "deeded on ocean". DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE A FULL OCEAN VIEW. (and the hotel "does not offer 'partial ocean views'" - so even a partial is an "ocean view") Hotel did credit us for the terrible room (also behind the pool resuturant kitchen = NOISEY!) - but since I booked far in advance and still didn't receive the room I asked for....we will not be returning to the resort. We will return to Maui :0) Trilogy Snorkeling was thee best! Take the Road to hana - it's long - but sooooo worth it. Go see the Ali Lavender farm in upcountry - awesome!

1 Thank Jill B
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Aloha Jill B.

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review. As it is our commitment to provide you with a uplifting Westin stay, we do apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We would be delighted to speak with you personally in hopes to gain more details of your stay. I have sent you a private message requesting for your contact information so that we may reach out to you. Again we apologize and thank you for your valueable feedback.

Sulinn
United States
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was our second trip to Maui. We previously stayed at the Fairmont Kei Lani to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and to renew our vows with our daughter and son-in-law present. So because this was a special occasion, we forked over big bucks to stay at the Kei Lani one bedroom suite with ocean view. This trip we decided to go to the other side of the island. We stayed in a villa at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas. The room we had, although not an ocean view room, stood up to the same standards as the Kei Lani and for half the cost! Service was exceptional and the staff very friendly at the Westin. This resort was awesome and won't disappoint.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Patricia O
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was the most comfortable hotel we stayed in so far. We were upgraded to a one-bedroom villa and I wished it is my permanent home! It was clean and spacious: full-sized kitchen, huge bathroom (I thought it was bigger than the room), living room and dining room. The decors were so warm that I felt like home or even better than home! I love the huge balcony/porch area too, we cooked our breakfast and sometimes lunch and enjoyed our meal on the porch! We also enjoyed the BBQ grills provided around the property; we bought grocery from near-by market and had BBQ for dinner! The property was clean, the grounds were nicely kept, staff were friendly. I would stay in this hotel again the next time I visit Maui!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank xiaotianshi
SF Bay Area
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here with a friend, who is a timeshare owner, in a lovely one-bedroom villa. There was a fantastic soaking tub, as well as a pull-out couch that was surprisingly comfortable. The room was well-appointed, and though it was small, there was enough room for both of us.

I particularly liked the easy beach access as well as the small shop on property that sold frozen foods (microwave and fridge in the room), snacks, fresh fruit and other sundry items. The pool areas were nice, and the pool-area staff was very friendly.

The property also offers a free shuttle to Whaler's Village shops, which was more convenient than moving the car, and much easier than walking!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank B P
Haddonfield, New Jersey
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I went on a belated honeymoon over spring break. Even though we were the only ones without children due to timeframe, we had a wonderful time and were able to be in our own world. Although I wouldnt suggest it for other honeymooners way too many families. We stayed in the North Tower with a great view of the pool. The beach in front of property is great for snorkeling if you want to swim head down the walk until it dead ends. The restaurants and bars are very expensive so make a stop at Safeway for snacks and alcohol. The shuttle is great drops you off at the other resorts and downtown
Lahina. Staff was very courteous and pleasant.

2 Thank Jenny C
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I took our daughters ages 5 & 8 to this resort to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We were married in Ka'anapali and wanted to relive the festivities. The Westin property is great for families. If I were here as a honeymooning couple, I do not think I would be happy.

There is a pool with a water slide, pirate ship for really small kids and plenty to keep you occupied. It's right no the beach and you can snorkel, paddle board, etc w/o ever leaving the resort. The staff was extremely accommodating and I loved that there was always happy hour drink specials for under $5.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit, ocean view (corner room) and it was very spacious. Both rooms had lanai's where we could watch the sun set and see whales!

We got groceries at Safeway and utilized our kitchen and the grills available at the resort. It was very easy. My only advice would be to bring a small cooler and/or bottle if you want to bring your own drinks down to the pool. I just reused some of the cups from the bar, but it would have been nice to be able to have a few in a small cooler/lunch box on hand.

The shuttle service is super convenient so you are not constantly paying to park when you want to leave for tours or go shopping in Lahaina..

I would highly recommend the resort for families with kids of any age! There really is something for everyone at this resort.

Room Tip: North side of the property is newer. If ocean view is not important to you, don't spend the ext...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jhnsnclln
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!