“Wonderful week !!”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here early March. Not knowing what you are going to get till you check in was a little nerve wracking, as we usually know ahead of time and research it to death, but we had a beautiful studio room in building 7, room 666. Although we did have a point of a roof obstructing some of the view, we had plenty of ocean to look at. Waking in the morning and seeing all the whales spouting was truly incredible !! The grounds are beautiful, the beach amazing !! The snorkeling in front was some of the best, we did do 4 other spots, and this was right up there ! Swam with Sea Turtles right there !! Ate lunch at the Patio Bar, really good food. Had Brunch at the other tower's resturant and it was excellent. We took advantage of the shuttle a couple of times as well as using the sister property just up the road. Highly recommend doing this. Gorgeous backyard area, have to say even nicer than here !! The kitchen was equipped with everything we needed, and we took advantage of the BBQ's a couple of times. I highly recommend this property !!

4  Thank Jennifer S

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our first trip here was one year ago and I promised we would return as we had such a wonderful experience. Last year it was just my husband and I, this year we returned with our 17 year old daughter. We were grateful and gladly accepted a comp upgrade to a one bedroom suite-allowing us more room with 3 people. We were put in the North Villas (same as last year) in building 7, second floor, ocean view. Beautiful! As always, we were welcomed with the always cozy, comfortable Heavenly Bed. Unfortunately the hide-a-bed is exactly the opposite when it comes to comfort. After 4 nights my daughter was begging to sleep in the bed as the hide-a-bed was killing her back, it was extremely uncomfortable!! We stayed for 5 nights and enjoyed it immensely. This resort offers many comforts from the well equipped rooms to the heavenly beds, the pools for all ages, the fantastic beach-ready for swimmers or snorkellers. The only negative I would report and it is a very small negative, the Westin needs to provide some decent shelving in the showers! It sound petty but the one measly corner shelf they have mounted in the shower barely holds a bar of soap!
All in all, a lovely stay once again, thank you to all the staff at the Westin KOR!! We will be back again!

5  Thank messymoose
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This hotel has a lot of positives: fabulous beach, fabulous pools, beautiful rooms. I've stayed in a few different places in Maui and this is by far the most luxurious but you do pay for that. Great resort for kids, awesome kids pool, playground and perks. The staff is great! Upon check in, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite without evening asking and at no additional cost. If having access to WIFI is important to you then you will be happy here. Not a lot of negatives at this place: no movies on demand (which would have been nice with the kids), they have a DVD rental machine in the lobby but it was out of service when we were there. One other thing that I've never experienced in Maui is flying cockroaches. We encountered many of these bugs in our suite and in the hallways. I think they were spraying for them because we started finding a lot of dead ones. Not a big deal but hopefully they are gone soon. This is a fabulous resort and pricey but you definitely get your money's worth.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great resort. Nice, bright clean rooms with large bathrooms. Right on the beautiful Ka'anapali Beach, and we watched the whales swim within 150 yards of the beach in mid-March. When you arrive, change into your swimsuits, rent your snorkeling gear at the shacks around the pools, and head to the beach for snorkeling (rent the gear for the week). I thought the breakfast was outstanding (eat quickly to avoid the dive-bombing birds, however). We stayed in the north complex. Upon further reflection, I think I would prefer the south (for the kids pool and proximity to the breakfast restaurant). The one disappointment was that we requested - and paid for - an ocean view villa. We received a "field view" villa that looks off to the north at empty field. While some of the ocean was visible if you craned your neck the right way, it was not an "ocean view." We didn't know this when we check in, and after arriving late, and moving all our stuff in, it didn't seem worth it to gripe about the "view." You're going to the beach or the pool anyway, right?

1  Thank LaVeta93
Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you are going to vacation in Maui, then this is the resort to stay at! Great pools (although I rarely used them), an amazing beach, beautifully designed property inside and out, friendly staff, great service and very close to Lahaina Town. We snorkeled daily right out of the resort with plenty of species of fish and colorful coral and reef. Our studio was nicely furnished with all of the amenities necessary. We preferred to have a light breakfast and lunch in room and then take the free Westin Shuttle into Lahaina and go big on some great dinners. The resort bar was awesome, pool side, open air, with flat screens every where. The bartenders were great as was the service. Great vacation! This was our 3rd visit to the resort and we will be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ocean view in the north tower if you can afford too!
1  Thank superdavo
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I bought this timeshare years ago. I regret doing so. Here is why;

* My annual dues have increased 127% in 7 years.
* Lack of flexibility in booking. Booking mid week or late i.e. inside of 3 months is nearly impossible.
* When I transfer my points to Starwood Hotels there is a charge of $130 which was $25.
* After converting Starwood Vacation Ownership (SVO) points to Starwood hotel points I use the Strarwood Points at Westin Whistler sometimes. The cost per night has gone up from 10,000 to 16,000 points in just a few years. So I just saw a 60% increase in my cost but no increase in my points that are alotted to me from SVO. That would be ok but the cost per night given my dues at Westin Villas is $360 to Stay at Westin Whislter. I should just pay for the hotel room and have a lot more flexibility.
* As a gold star Elite at Westin Villas (SVO) I was promised "best available room" at the hotels, yet I am never upgraded when I know better rooms are available. There is a disconnect between Starwood Hotels and Starwood Vacation Ownership, different companies with different profit incentives and who they please and give best service too.
*SVO decribes these as floating rooms yet as a deeded timeshare you are assigned a room. I have always been put in one of my two rooms. Well this is a bummer as I paid for an Ocean View and it barely qualifies as Ocean view.

On the resort;
* people saving their chairs by the pool, so annoying. While there is some grace period staff did not do enough to percent no chairs.
* Close this to interval.

SO BEFORE YOU BUY THINK LONG AND HARD... Starwood changes the rules of the game for profit despite what they tell you when you buy a timeshare.

12  Thank js5000
Ryan N, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Aloha js 5000,

The Westin KOR Villas operations team recently reviewed your comment on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience as well as sharing some of the challenges you experienced within our operation. We are certainly disappointed that your past stay at the resort did not meet your expectations. From the operations standpoint, thank you for your comments referencing the availability of poolside chairs. Your comments have been shared with the leaders responsible for the poolside area. From the timeshare ownership perspective, we apologize that the timeshare components of your ownership are not being perceived as value. We would appreciate the opportunity to communicate with you.

Ryan

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We upgraded from basic room to a one bedroom. We were given a discount off the price of a one bedroom garden view room but given a ocean view room. Went from 450 sq.ft. to 900 sq.ft. for additional $75/night. Room was huge and well appointed with fully equipped kitchen. Bathroom included 2 sinks, shower, whirlpool, and enclosed commode. Service and employees were great - very polite and helpful. Even got a bottle of sparkling wine when they learned we were celebrating our 40th anniversary. Very Nice! Underground parking is useful when unpacking or upon leaving. The beach is excellent with good snorkeling just north (to the right). Room was very quiet. The only very minor negative was a 7 - 10 minute wait at the front desk on 2 occasions. If you forego maid service they provide a breakfast buffet voucher each day. ($25.00 value)

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms with lanai were worth the upgrade. Southside of building 4 overlooks a park that i...
3  Thank skybusflyer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!