The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
4,688 results
All reviewsnorth propertynorth poolstudio villapirate shipisland viewjacuzzi tubtime sharenorth sidetimeshare ownerstimeshare presentationfull kitchenheavenly bedshuttle servicewasher dryerfree shuttlebar and grillkiddie pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We just returned from a trip to Hawaii that included a five night stay at the Westin Kaanapali Villas. We continually received offers in the mail for a $798 package (5 nights, $185 credit for car rental, $75 hotel credit); we got the offer from mailings by both Starwood and American Express. After looking online to find out what people had experienced with this offer, we decided to go for it. It was terrific!!

This is what I can tell you about our experience... Before we left, I made call to the concierge that was assigned to us and asked to be upgraded, if possible, from the studio with "island" view to an ocean view. I was told that it probably would not be possible as the property was filled the days we had chosed (Mar 7-12). But when we met with our "personal" concierge for our welcome meeting, she said we had been upgraded. Our studio room was in North tower, building 7. The room was more than adequate for two persons. It included a small galley kitchen, separate toilet and shower, spa tub, sofa seating area, table, and flat screen TV. We also had a balcony with two chairs and a small table.

As to any "selling" that goes with this offer, no problem. We booked a "tour" of the property for the Monday of our trip, but as our concierge advised, if we couldn't make it we just had to call and let them know. That is what we did. There were no harrassing phone calls, no pressure, nothing. Seems they just want you to enjoy the resort and decide for yourself if you want to return sometime, or purchase a timeshare.

This property is at the northern end of Kaanapali area, so if you want to stroll the beach walk in front of the beach resort area, you will have a long walk. But no problem, there is a shuttle, to the Whaler's Village area and a separate shuttle that will take you to Lahaina. One morning we walked down to the Sheraton for breakfast, then took the shuttle back after strolling a little more along the beach walk. Honestly, in my opinion, the Villas property was SO MUCH MORE beautiful than the other resorts. There are two lobbies at the Villas, at the South Tower and the North Tower. Each has their own attractions, so you will probably be going back and forth between them. BTW, you will do a lot of walking at the Villas. Depending on where your room is, there is a long maze of hallways to navigate; reminded me of the hotels in Las Vegas. So be prepared for lots of walking!

Well, there you go. Hope this info is helpful. Mahalo!! :)

Room Tip: Building 7 room with ocean view was lovely.
27  Thank PiscesLosAngeles
Reviewed March 21, 2013

While we really enjoyed the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, we were somewhat put off by the usurious prices at the market and the nickel and dime charges for things. A charge to use a chair on the beach? Come on! A container of juice at the on-site market was $3 more than the ABC store which translated to 215% more, and everything else was similarly overpriced. Fortunately, we had made a stop at Costco on the way there and the kitchen was well appointed with everything necessary to prepare drinks and light meals. Our unit was clean, comfortable and had a good sized balcony, and we found the staff both welcoming and helpful. Because this is an ownership resort (they don't use "time-share") we were encouraged to attend a presentation but it was not mandatory and we were not really pressured. We were in the north area of the resort and have to admit the food at the pool bar/restaurant was quite good and the 4-6 PM happy hour was a bargain. Overall, I would recommend the resort if you have the opportunity.

Room Tip: Ask if you can be upgraded to a one bedroom.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mary G
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This place and people are all first class. Could not ask for a better Hawaiian vacation. You are right on the water and have a great beach for snorkeling, swimming and even whale watching! We saw a "show" put on by 2 whales breaching. The whole resort stopped to look!

Room Tip: It's all good and i don't work for the hotel.
2  Thank Bill R
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Aloha Bill R,

I can’t think of anything more magical that enjoying Maui’s beaches during whale season. I bet it seemed as if those 2 whales were putting on a show specifically for you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are truly grateful that you noted our first class location and people. It really means a lot to us.

We hope to welcome you back next whale season.

Mahalo,
Sulinn

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We have been going to Maui yearly for a while now and have always stayed at the Sheraton (which we love and I have reviewed multiple times in the past) but I got a great deal for 5 days at the Westin that was too good to pass up. The things we love most about the Sheraton are the location, the beach and the views (Building 6) so I expected to be "satisfied" with the Westin but it was so much better than I expected.

First the room was an Island Studio and I went in expecting no view considering the deal we got - and I got what I expected. It was a first floor unit overlooking the road and parking lot. There was a balcony but absolutely no view. If I was paying anything close to the full daily rate for this - I would have been pretty disappointed because the view is such a big part of the experience for us. A couple of other down sides were that we had a dorm-sized refrigerator (apparently this is very rare) and the closet and drawer space were so minimal that we were never really able to unpack. Not being able to cook was OK but the clutter of our stuff was a little frustrating. However - everything else about the unit was great. It was in good shape, the bathroom features were wonderful and having a washer and dryer was a real benefit.

Now for the upsides - just about everything else about this resort. The grounds are beautiful and everything is easy to access. The pools are nice and heated (a benefit over the Sheraton) and we never had trouble finding chairs even though the resort was full. The service was great throughout the resort - friendly, helpful, knowledgeable. The beach was also a pleasant surprise. It is so much less crowded than at Black Rock and the swimming was good. I think there are days that the ocean will be friendlier at Black Rock due to the protected nature of that beach.

We took advantage of the shuttle between the Starwood properties and that worked great. They ran frequently and the drop off/pick up points were easily accessible. We did not use the one that went to Lahaina but others speak highly of it as well.

The restaurants were spotty. Breakfast at the Ocean Bar was just OK and the buffet was not worth the cost. The sports bar had a great location and atmosphere, fun staff and good food. We did not try the more formal Italian restaurant and I heard a variety of comments good and bad about it.

We took the tour of the resort and were wowed when we saw a one-bedroom with an ocean view. The difference between the studio and the one-bedroom is dramatic. It is more that just the added square footage - it feels like you are at home only in Maui. They are so well laid out and the finishes are modern and nice. The the ocean view is better than I expected. Maybe not the up close and personal view as the Sheraton ocean front but pretty terrific. I'm glad we did not do this until the end of our visit because going back to our room was definitely harder after seeing what was possible.

The bottom line for us is that we liked our stay here so much that we chose to become owners and are really looking forward to our trip next year. I did not think I would move away from the Sheraton but our experiences here really sold us.

One final word of advice is that for obvious reasons this is very popular with families - especially during spring break. The resort was full and there were a lot of kids. We did not find this troublesome even though we were there without kids however if you are looking for a quiet atmosphere - this would probably not meet your expectations.

Room Tip: Know that an island view may mean nothing more than a road and parking lot. First floor rooms can be especially troublesome if a view is important to you. Upgrade to a one bedroom rather than a studio if you can - it is worth it.
3  Thank freetr
sean_tamon, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Aloha freetr,

First of all congratulations on becoming owners at the resort! We are delighted that the staff, service, and overall ambiance of the resort exceeded your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home resort soon. We'd also like to thank you for your time and feedback regarding your experiences at the resort. We definitely take our guests' and owners' feedback seriously and we'll forward your concerns to our food and beverage team. You may, however, be happy to note that we've recently redone our buffet at Ocean Pool Bar and Grill and will be implementing some new menu items seasonally.

Mahalo again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Until next time, "a hui hou"!

Mahalo,

The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I cannot wait to go back to Maui and to stay at the Westin Villas. I'm so glad that my husband and I chose to stay here for our honeymoon, because the service, staff, rooms, food, atmosphere, beach, and everything in between was simply wonderful. We were upgraded to a one bedroom from our studio, and our room was just beautiful and spacious. We loved being able to walk right outside (we were on the ground level) and enjoy the views and peace. It was great to have access to the grills as well, since we didn't want to eat out every night, and loved being able to buy some fish at the market and grill it at the resort. The staff also sent us a bottle of wine and congratulated us on our nuptials, a very nice gesture. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I really can't fit everything I want to say in one review, but I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnastasiaSL

Aloha AnastasiaSL,

Mahalo for your kind words and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us during your trip. We are also very honored that you chose our resort and the beautiful Ka'anapali beach to spend your honeymoon. From all of us here, congratulations again on your momentous milestone in your lives. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Mahalo nui loa,