“Exceeded my expectations”

The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We have been going to Maui yearly for a while now and have always stayed at the Sheraton (which we love and I have reviewed multiple times in the past) but I got a great deal for 5 days at the Westin that was too good to pass up. The things we love most about the Sheraton are the location, the beach and the views (Building 6) so I expected to be "satisfied" with the Westin but it was so much better than I expected.

First the room was an Island Studio and I went in expecting no view considering the deal we got - and I got what I expected. It was a first floor unit overlooking the road and parking lot. There was a balcony but absolutely no view. If I was paying anything close to the full daily rate for this - I would have been pretty disappointed because the view is such a big part of the experience for us. A couple of other down sides were that we had a dorm-sized refrigerator (apparently this is very rare) and the closet and drawer space were so minimal that we were never really able to unpack. Not being able to cook was OK but the clutter of our stuff was a little frustrating. However - everything else about the unit was great. It was in good shape, the bathroom features were wonderful and having a washer and dryer was a real benefit.

Now for the upsides - just about everything else about this resort. The grounds are beautiful and everything is easy to access. The pools are nice and heated (a benefit over the Sheraton) and we never had trouble finding chairs even though the resort was full. The service was great throughout the resort - friendly, helpful, knowledgeable. The beach was also a pleasant surprise. It is so much less crowded than at Black Rock and the swimming was good. I think there are days that the ocean will be friendlier at Black Rock due to the protected nature of that beach.

We took advantage of the shuttle between the Starwood properties and that worked great. They ran frequently and the drop off/pick up points were easily accessible. We did not use the one that went to Lahaina but others speak highly of it as well.

The restaurants were spotty. Breakfast at the Ocean Bar was just OK and the buffet was not worth the cost. The sports bar had a great location and atmosphere, fun staff and good food. We did not try the more formal Italian restaurant and I heard a variety of comments good and bad about it.

We took the tour of the resort and were wowed when we saw a one-bedroom with an ocean view. The difference between the studio and the one-bedroom is dramatic. It is more that just the added square footage - it feels like you are at home only in Maui. They are so well laid out and the finishes are modern and nice. The the ocean view is better than I expected. Maybe not the up close and personal view as the Sheraton ocean front but pretty terrific. I'm glad we did not do this until the end of our visit because going back to our room was definitely harder after seeing what was possible.

The bottom line for us is that we liked our stay here so much that we chose to become owners and are really looking forward to our trip next year. I did not think I would move away from the Sheraton but our experiences here really sold us.

One final word of advice is that for obvious reasons this is very popular with families - especially during spring break. The resort was full and there were a lot of kids. We did not find this troublesome even though we were there without kids however if you are looking for a quiet atmosphere - this would probably not meet your expectations.

Room Tip: Know that an island view may mean nothing more than a road and parking lot. First floor rooms can b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank freetr
sean_tamon, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Aloha freetr,

First of all congratulations on becoming owners at the resort! We are delighted that the staff, service, and overall ambiance of the resort exceeded your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home resort soon. We'd also like to thank you for your time and feedback regarding your experiences at the resort. We definitely take our guests' and owners' feedback seriously and we'll forward your concerns to our food and beverage team. You may, however, be happy to note that we've recently redone our buffet at Ocean Pool Bar and Grill and will be implementing some new menu items seasonally.

Mahalo again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Until next time, "a hui hou"!

Mahalo,

The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Write a ReviewReviews (4,479)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I cannot wait to go back to Maui and to stay at the Westin Villas. I'm so glad that my husband and I chose to stay here for our honeymoon, because the service, staff, rooms, food, atmosphere, beach, and everything in between was simply wonderful. We were upgraded to a one bedroom from our studio, and our room was just beautiful and spacious. We loved being able to walk right outside (we were on the ground level) and enjoy the views and peace. It was great to have access to the grills as well, since we didn't want to eat out every night, and loved being able to buy some fish at the market and grill it at the resort. The staff also sent us a bottle of wine and congratulated us on our nuptials, a very nice gesture. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I really can't fit everything I want to say in one review, but I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnastasiaSL

Aloha AnastasiaSL,

Mahalo for your kind words and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us during your trip. We are also very honored that you chose our resort and the beautiful Ka'anapali beach to spend your honeymoon. From all of us here, congratulations again on your momentous milestone in your lives. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Mahalo nui loa,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at the south villas in the beginning of March. The resort is amazing! The people that it takes to keep this place so beautiful! All of the staff was so pleasant and helpful, although a few members of the front desk staff in the south villas were grumpy and snarky.

We only had one issue and it was kind of a big one. When we arrived we were assigned a studio in building 4 with a view of the highway (the friends we came with were upgraded to a full ocean view room). The noise was so bad we couldn’t open the sliding door. So we asked to move. They moved us to a room in building 3 on the ground level, which would have been great, but the front desk clerk failed to tell us that this room didn’t have a shower or a door to the toilet (just a shower curtain? strange). So we asked to move again. They said there was nothing they could do for us until tomorrow so they moved us back to the crappy room in building 4. The front desk clerk we dealt with the second time was very nice. I wish I would have got her name. She said she was sure there was something she could do for us the next day. She called not even a half hour later and gave us three options for the next day. We choose the other side of building 4. However, this meant we had no room from 10am to 2:30 the next day. We had to pack everything up and move 4 times in total. Our Sunday afternoon/evening and Monday all day were pretty much ruined. We were happy with the room we finally ended up with and were able to keep the door open the rest of our stay. We did get an excellent deal on the hotel through Hawaiian Airlines. I never complain, but who wants to stay in Maui with the doors closed! If we would have paid full price we would have been furious.

All the studios in the south villas only have juliet balconies. The north villas have full balconies. We had friends staying in building 3 and 5. Building 5 is in the north villas and their room was marginally nicer than ours. We would have really enjoyed a balcony.

The beach is amazing. The coral is really close to the shore though and you have to be really careful that the waves don’t knock you into it. It is just a short 15 minute walk down the beach to Whalers Village.

We took the shuttle a few times and the bus drivers were awesome! The shuttles were so convenient.

We ate at the pool bar in the south villas several times. The food was excellent, and the drinks yummy (I’d kill for a Lava Flow right now!) We didn’t feel the prices were unreasonable or high at all.

We hardly used the kitchen. We had simply breakfasts in the room and ate out every lunch and dinner. So I can’t really comment on the kitchen. It looked really nice.

We only had our room cleaned once during the week and ate breakfast for free for two days instead. They didn’t do a whole heck of a lot when they cleaned the room. Enjoying the free breakfast instead was great.

Others have complained about how busy the resort is. We didn’t find this at all. We were told the resort was 95% full. We never had a problem finding a place for 6 around which ever pool we liked.

We’d love to go back…. tomorrow… but we would demand to not be on the highway side of building 4 and make sure the room had a shower!

Room Tip: Stay away from the hwy side of building 4!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer B

Aloha Jennifer B,

Mahalo for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent experience with us. We are glad that you were able to find a room to your liking and we apologize for the inconvenience the room move may have cause you during your vacation. We appreciate your time and choice to stay with us during your Maui vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Mahalo,

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We traded into this resort, we own in Orlando. We were quite pleased with our overall experience at this resort except for our owners update.

Room was nice, pretty much what to expect from a studio. Villa is starting to show wear and tear. Carpet was especially in need of attention. Pool was nice.

As with everything in Maui, or Hawaii for that matter, everything is ala carte and expensive. Other Starwood resorts have complimentary amenities this resort charges for everything.

As for the owners update. We were made quite aware of the fact that we were not owners at this resort and should be grateful we were able to book a vacation. Down to the point driven home that the villa we were given was because we didn't own here. (First floor, no view of anything.) Although I have read about non-owners getting a view of the parking lot, ours was better than that. After declining their offer to either buy into Kauai or Maui we were berated about why we weren't taking their offer. When we explained that we are in the process of building a home and didn't want another loan on our plate, we were asked if we were aware that $25,000 wouldn't add that much to our 30 year mortgage. We thought this was quite rude and presumptuous.

Room Tip: North villas are newer, South villas are bigger.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SandyPGravel
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our family of four just returned from our third, two week vacation and had a wonderful time. Thank you to everyone at the hotel but I need to mention an extra thank you to Ivan Tesoro for helping us with our vacation planning and our great room. Looking forward to next year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LaurieCanada
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel is great - what you expect from a top tier starwood property. The price tag is steep, but you can work out pretty good deals with points or points/dollar combos through starwood.

This is starwood's "timeshare" property, so all the rooms have kitchens or kitchenettes (great for cooking on your own for longer stays). The market on property is surprisingly well-stocked and surprisingly NOT THAT EXPENSIVE. Although you can probably go to a near-by ABC store if needed.

There are a lot of activities here, a nice beach. A few tips:

1) Self-parking is a bit scarce
2) There are 2 buildings North / South.. If you are not a time-share owner and staying for the first time by booking through SPG's site, try to call ahead to know where your room is as there are two separate check-in desks (which are pretty far apart when you have all your luggage with you)
3) There's a hospitality suite in case you have a late flight out - so you can still spend time on the beach or pool on your last day, and shower/change before a red-eye flight. (there's a fee)
4) the main part of Lahaina is about a 10 min drive south, safeway is open 24/7
5) Lahaina is an irritatingly long drive from the tip of road to hana, kehei, or haleakala. the road is pretty long, and often 1-lane. So drive patiently and pad your travel time estimates.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank HC_LA

+check in was efficient
+washer/dryer in room
+rooms are nice and kitchen is great

Pool - Some folks put towels on the chairs early, but I could always find a chair every time I went down so I didn’t experience any issues.
Workout Room – We used the room in Building 7 (which someone told us was the lesser utilized of the two workout rooms on the property). It seemed small, but there was never a wait for equipment.
Housekeeping – Fantastic!
Lost & Found – My DH forgot his sunglasses in the Lobby but we called about an hour after we realized where they were. They had found them and told us to call when we returned. We expected to go retrieve them, but they brought them up to our room. We appreciated that.
Rooms – Very nice! I know that we had neighbors (as I said hello when we were both out on our balconies) but I never heard them once so the walls are soundproof and that was great to really enjoy vacation!
The “Welcome” – We had a message on our phone regarding “please come see us for a free gift”. My DH said it was a sales pitch but I wanted to see what it was. Turns out I should have listened. The gal we approached (in the main lobby) was extremely rude. She didn’t say hello or greet us. She just looked up and said “Last name? Room #?” That frustrated and irritated me so we just walked away. Because we left we robbed ourselves of the chance to find out about the classes they had offered all week (soapmaking, ukulele, etc…). We did get the events calendar half way into our stay, but by then I had missed a class I would have like to attend.
The other couple we were with was staying at the Westin Hotel so we were over there a dozen or so times, and we were grateful to have been in the calm, not so commercial villas.
Parking spaces are tight but always available and with the absence of the resort fee, we felt we got a much better value than our traveling companions. We would definitely stay here again if choosing the Lahaina area but we will most likely go back to the Wailea side next time we visit Maui.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor so the trees don't block your view!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jules5656
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!