The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Good 3.5/5
4,695 results
All reviewsnorth propertynorth poolstudio villapirate shipisland viewjacuzzi tubtime sharenorth sidetimeshare ownerstimeshare presentationfull kitchenheavenly bedshuttle servicewasher dryerfree shuttlebar and grillkiddie pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 31, 2012

A few months ago, I received a solictation in the mail for five nights at the Westin Ocean Resort Villas for $798, along with a $185 rental car credit and $75 hotel credit. Believing this was sent to me based on my previous patronage of Westin properties, I booked. When I arrived at the hotel, I was asked to meet with my "personal concierge". Consequently, I was asked to sign up for a 90 minute sales presentation. Needless to say, I was not pleased, and declined the invitation.

What troubles me about this, is that none of the correspondence I received from Westin prior to my departure indicated that this was a timeshare sales pitch. Had I known this, I would have never booked this trip. A few days into the trip, I requested that the room be cleaned, since my unit was bypassed. I was told that the "package" that I purchased only included one day of room cleaning.

To be fair, the room I was in is very nice, but can hardly be considered a full service condo. There is no oven, and very little room to store items purchased at the grocery store. Also, the table provided for meals is tiny. The customer service is very poor, and the only people that show any interest, are the vulture like personal concierges that line the lobby wall, just waiting for you to sign on the dotted line.

Next time, I'm going to go to a real hotel. Westin what are you doing?!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
16  Thank SeattleWa365
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your comments. We are very disappointed to read that your experience with us ended with a negative perspective and we sincerely apologize. Please know that this is not representative of our standards. Your remarks have been forwarded to our team leaders for immediate followup. We would be grateful for the opportunity to personally discuss with you more details about your stay. I have sent you a private message requesting your contact information so that we may reach out to you. Again we apologize. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sulinn

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We're not usually the resort type, but I got a deal from my friend's timeshare. It worked out perfectly as now we got a 13 month old with us. The resort and the room were well kept. The pools were ideal. We preferred the middle pool as it had a slide, regular pool, and a 1.5 feet kiddie pool. There were various other pools on the property but I felt this area served all our needs. There are 2 villas: North and South. We were at the South Villas and couldn't have been more happy as our room was on the top floor overlooking the trees and it faced the pools and the ocean from an angle. Our studio didn't have a lanai but did have a balcony. Too bad, a lanai would've added to the experience. The room had a fridge, stove, microwave. The room also had a washer/dryer but they only provided enough soap/softener for one wash.

The restaurants were really expensive and not that good. I would suggest you cook, go out to eat, or bring home take-out. They have multiple grills outside for you to use.

Parking underground away from the heat can be tricky especially after dinner, but there are plenty of parking outside, albeit you might have to walk far.

The location was good, close to all the restaurants and shops, 5-10 min driving-wise. But it sucked whenever you go outside the area like Kahului and beyond. Expect at least 1/2 hour drive. If you plan to mostly stay on the West side, then the Westin is your place.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor for a better view and less noise. Choose an ocean view to see the sunset and get sun facing your room at the end of the day.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank eshia01
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Everything about this vacation is Awesome. Location and beach front is the best. Westin vacation rentals accomodations and grounds are superb. Pools and grounds are great at both North and South villas. Can get a little crowded at times, but the is to be expected. These are really family orientated places and everyone wants to be around the pool to watch for their kids. The one thing I must say is that they are catering more and more towards people with 'money' with their many cabanas taking front row at the poolside, and for those that can not afford to rent these, we are stuck behind those and behind those that 'towel' save their spots under the few shade umbrellas (so harder pool view) and roastable in the sun! Shuttle buses to and from other Westin hotels and Lahaina are exceptional. We like the fact that the Westin Villas have things for kids to do that are relatively cheap, but as our girls are teenagers now, would appreciate a little more for that age group to do as they do not want to sit by the pool all the time. Although the Westin shuttle buses are there for them to get around to shopping areas etc., we do not like them the 'spend' all the time. Activities are very expensive i.e. surfing/paddle boarding etc/zip lining/horseback riding especially when you have to tip on top of already overpriced activity. When you have 4 people in a family who all want to do stuff it can end up being very costly indeed. Variety of dining out places within the Westin vacinity or Lahaina are plently and can vary greatly in price. Depends on kind of food you want to eat and what you want to pay, but I would say there is something for everyone. We mostly cook at the villas, either in the room or bbq. Price of food at grocery stores is generally expensive where ever you go but that it because it is Maui and most stuff is shipped in. We generally stop off at Costco when getting off the plane and stock up for our two weeks before making the drive out to Kaanapali. Can not rate Spa or any other kind of pampering (i.e. poolside service) as we generally can not afford to do this kind of stuff.

Room Tip: Basically you have an ocean view from all rooms in the North building. Might not be ocean front, but you will be able to see the ocean. South side you have to request ocean front, otherwise you might get island view where you will be looking out the back or side of property. Overall rooms are exceptional what ever property or view, so it depends on how much time you spend in your room or whether you are fussy about what you overlook when you are there.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jill P
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Beach and location are great! Rooms are top shelf. Resort is beautiful. Pools are crowded. Restaurants have good food but are limited. You do have access to the Starwood Resorts nearby or you can wander next door to the Castaway.

Most of the staff are wonderful, some better than that. In particular Daisy at the Pool Bar, Ryan at the pool, Bengie in the Restaurant, and Jonah at Spa who saved us from one of the weakest room changing policies in any hotel.

Do not let them put you close to the loading dock. Some genius has installed a generator/compressor that violates all of the noise pollution laws of any resort. If they put you in an insufferable room and you need to change you must leave at 10 am and wait until 4:00 pm, in your car, or practicing your best homeless act. We did get an upgrade but lost a day.

Ok homeless in Hawaii, I can think of worse things! Good experience overall but expected better from Westin.

Room Tip: Stay away from that generator.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Onebrand
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Maui was the 3rd leg of our 2 week journey. This was our second visit in 2 years to Maui. I was very pleased with the accommodations and grounds here. Staff was great and the unit was excellent. Our last trip was at the Marriott. I would give the Westin at least a 1/2 star better rating
only because it's a little quieter on this side of Black Rock. As far as it being windy on this side of the rock. It's Hawaii. The trade winds are going to blow.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple