Kulakane
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
Kahana Falls(Lahaina)
  • Pool
All reviewsconch shellspupu partyconch blowingfarmers marketbeach chairspupusturtle watchingsmall beachno air conditioningevery morningminute driveocean wavesthe perfect place to staysea lifeenjoyable stayliving roomscreen door
Reviewed January 9, 2005

We have stayed at the Kulakane on numerous occasions and will continue to do so. The view is magnificent; the units are very nice (even without a/c & it's never been a problem for us during the summer); the pupu party on Friday nights is a great idea; and it's just a peaceful and relaxing environment. We've never been bothered by road noise. For us, this is what we want to experience when we go to Maui.

• Stayed: January 2005
5  Thank olomanany
Reviewed November 3, 2004

We booked one of their two bedroom condos back in May '04 for our trip this past August. We stayed in unit 312. This is a great place folks! While, I agree with the below reviews that discuss the occasional road noise, we considered it to be a minor factor; and the ocean sounds really were a plu! The lack of air conditioning is actually fairly common at the condo resorts in the area, and with the ceiling fans and the trade winds there were very few intances where we missed having air conditioning. Of course, we were there at the hottest part of the year, but still with the ocean breezes the heat was not unpleasant. The ocean is virtually right outside your lanai at this place, and the sunsets are truly breathtaking. The water is beautiful, and I really loved seeing the trade winds blow the clouds over the island of Molokai just across the channel. This is truly a lovely, exotic place to stay. The manager, Judith-Ann is a really nice person and she is very helpful. We loved it and we will go back there. A good friend of mine is staying there this upcoming March based on my recommendation. Aloha!

• Stayed: August 2004
6  Thank HangLoose4444
A TripAdvisor Member
Costa Mesa, CA
Reviewed July 29, 2004

Beautiful view of the ocean and the pool...we loved it, this was our second time here and would go again. We enjoyed listening to the ocean any time of the day or night. A friendly atmosphere, PuPu parties every Friday night, and eveyone loved the conch shell blowing at sunset every day. We felt like we were at home, we just walked out of our ground floor unit onto the lanai and right onto the lawn to the pool or ocean. No hassling with elevators and noisy hallways searching for your room. Full size kitchens, so we could make coffee every morning and eat lunch or dinner in if we preferred.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 27, 2004

The Kulakane was absolutely beautiful. When I opened the door to my unit (202), the first sight to hit my view was the blue-green Pacific just beyond the lanai. The unit was nicely furnished and equipped with everything "just like home" except you bring your own food of course. My first thought was "I'll be back!" Many locals also live in the area, which made me feel like a real Maui insider. This was my first visit to any of the Hawaiian Islands and I would definitely recommend The Kulakane to anyone who would enjoy "tourist-limited" (small-scale condominium) experience on Maui.

2  Thank lahp1231
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2004

Just in from the Kulakane and I am giving you reasons why you would and would not want to stay here...it is all a matter of your personal preferences...I spend 75 nights per year in a hotel and know that ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL:

If you want to be right on the ocean....this is the place for you! You can throw a rock into the ocean, from your room, and hence you will have an incredible view for a sunrise and sunset. The beach size varies every day and really is a small slice but the double rainbows you can view from your lanai while you have your coffee, are breathtaking! The water is sapphire blue and the pictures you take will make wonderful memories. I wish I could sit out here every morning and take in the view.
The pool is VERY small but new and since many of the occupants actually live here part of the year, they are not trying to get a tan in one week and thus the pool is not crowded.
The client base is low key and quiet...a mixed group and it is fun to chat and meet them while walking about....everyone is friendly and relaxed.
The rooms are all done differently, we stayed in 303 which had 2 bedrooms and baths. It was charming and clean. My children loved it! It feels like you are at home...no noise and screaming down the hall way...just families and retirees who are enjoying the view.
There is a nice laundry room and 2 wonderful grills, should you decide to cook. Each condo has a full kitchen and dishwasher.
The only problem is there is NOT air conditioning. the tradewinds DO keep everything very cool and you will not feel uncomfortable ( as we feared) however:
1. The road on the back side of the facility is also a rock's throw away and YES the street traffic is easily heard in the bedrooms with the windows open. I wore ear plugs and once I got to sleep it was fine. The flip side is that you can hear the beautiful waves from the front living side ( if you do not wear ear plugs...hahaha) and you may be lulled to sleep.
2. The cute little birds begin chirping every morning and you will be awake by 6:00 at least. We live in suburbia and rarely sleep with our windows open so we are not used to this! They are not annoying...just doing their thing in all the lovely flowering shrubs, which are maintained quite beautifully! I will be sleeping in now until 7:30 as I am home in my air conditioned bedroom.
So...check out the web page and take a look at the various rooms. We had a lovely time and the view was spectacular... but it was a bit on the noisy side for our family. You are welcome to e-mail me with questions!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member