“Excellent Bike Shop..”
Review of West Maui Cycles

West Maui Cycles
Ranked #95 of 153 Outdoor Activities in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1994. Come ride with us in paradise! Whether it's pedaling up to the summit of Haleakala on a road bike just riding around the town on a beach cruiser, West Maui Cycles in Lahaina has what you need to make it happen. West Maui Cycles is a family owned full service bicycle specialty store located in west Maui. We sell, rent and repair bicycles. Our west Maui bicycle shop carries a full line of bike gear and bicycle supplies, including tires, pedals, chains and anything else you need to keep your bike on the road. Our bike store is stocked with a complete selection of bicycle jerseys, custom Aloha logo wear and other bicycle clothing and accessories. Our bicycle rental fleet includes Specialized carbon fiber performance road bikes, upright hybrid road bikes and Electra Cruisers.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We rented two bikes recently and absolutely loved this shop. Very knowledgeable staff, excellent bikes, and should we ever come to Maui again, we're going to rent from West Maui Cycles again. The price was fantastic and I can't even think of anything negative. The shop has a lot of nice items available for sale, we brought a pump from home and bought a CO2 cartridge from them. I would definitely recommend that. You should definitely rent from them. We saw some other bikes that were being ridden around from another shop and they looked pitiful. We ride Treks at home, and we rented Specialized. All around awesome experience! Mahalo from Oklahoma!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Very easy to do business with and would do it again next trip. First time I have rented a bike while on a trip, so I am not a "pro" at this ... Called on the phone ahead of time and they explained how everything worked. Reserved on line - and the process in-store was super simple. Rented a Specialized Roubaix for the week. Everything was ready and set up as requested when I arrived. Didn't sense the "attitude" others complained about in their reviews - super chill and friendly staff. And I appreciated being treated like an adult and not given a bunch of "tourist warnings" about every possible peril. We couldn't get the rental bike rack on a the Hertz Mustang Convertible - didn't end up being something needed anyway ... (I asked, but WMC didn't know about the Mustangs & bike racks ... FYI, the bike racks don't fit the Hertz Mustang convertibles). Per some one else's post, I WAS given a free water bottle - so looks like they are listening to feedback. One small problem was that 2nd/3rd gear shifting was out of adjustment. One disappointment was that the Wed. morning group ride didn't happen the week I was there due to extra work/hours from XTERRA - so I headed off on the 100k West Maui Loop on my own. The West Maui Loop clockwise ride was amazing and so glad I did it. Good info & videos on WMC's website about the ride to help prep. Check out the Maui Bus schedule - it was reassuring to know there was a "sag-wagon" ($2 bus with a bike rack) from Kahului back to Lahaina if I needed it - knowing the stop locations and schedule gave me more confidence to go for it. Thanks West Maui Cycles - see you again.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

If you are looking to rent a bike or go out on a group ride then try this place. Group rides are Wednesday mornings at 7:30 and it is best to reserve. If you are looking to just buy some "Maui" bike apparel then they also have reasonable selection. Sally is friendly and helpful.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We called on the day we arrived and asked about bike availability, and were told that there were plenty of road bikes in the sizes we wanted. Called the next day to reserve at 4:02 PM and were told that they had already shut down the computer (they close at 4:00:00 PM) and were told to call back tomorrow.

When we went in, we were told that they had no bikes in our size, and that all the bikes that were out had been reserved several weeks or months earlier. Huh??? What happened to "We are wide open, we have a ton of bikes available" from the first day we called???

They get a one star bonus (I want to give them 2 stars) because they were somewhat helpful in getting us set up with bikes over at Maui Cyclery, but it was really Maui Cyclery who hooked us up with some great bikes and REALLY GOOD BETA!!!

You don't really have any other options besides these guys at West Maui if you are on the west side of the island, so just know that this is not Steamboat, nor is it Gunnison or Bend. Call EARLY, RESERVE IN ADVANCE, go ONLINE, or get stuck on a frame that is too small after driving for 40 minutes to the other side of the island to do a ride that you did not plan on.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Only place on island I could find that rented a somewhat decent mountain bike, but if you aren't on west side or Lahaina the location is very inconvenient for mountain biking on public land since there isn't any on the west side. I reserved bike with added note I was interested on going on ride that they had on sundays. When I showed up they said the ride was cancelled and I wish they would have emailed that since their location was a good drive away from me. Bike was a tad dirty in the drivetrain (a lot of dirt caked in pulleys), and I should have tested out the pressure in suspension for my weight before taking (was way too soft in front fork). Overall they were up front though and fair. Be prepared for detailed damage inspection of bike though.