Review of West Maui Cycles

West Maui Cycles
Ranked #88 of 155 Outdoor Activities in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1994. Come ride with us in paradise! Whether it's pedaling up to the summit of Haleakala on a road bike just riding around the town on a beach cruiser, West Maui Cycles in Lahaina has what you need to make it happen. West Maui Cycles is a family owned full service bicycle specialty store located in west Maui. We sell, rent and repair bicycles. Our west Maui bicycle shop carries a full line of bike gear and bicycle supplies, including tires, pedals, chains and anything else you need to keep your bike on the road. Our bike store is stocked with a complete selection of bicycle jerseys, custom Aloha logo wear and other bicycle clothing and accessories. Our bicycle rental fleet includes Specialized carbon fiber performance road bikes, upright hybrid road bikes and Electra Cruisers.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We called on the day we arrived and asked about bike availability, and were told that there were plenty of road bikes in the sizes we wanted. Called the next day to reserve at 4:02 PM and were told that they had already shut down the computer (they close at 4:00:00 PM) and were told to call back tomorrow.

When we went in, we were told that they had no bikes in our size, and that all the bikes that were out had been reserved several weeks or months earlier. Huh??? What happened to "We are wide open, we have a ton of bikes available" from the first day we called???

They get a one star bonus (I want to give them 2 stars) because they were somewhat helpful in getting us set up with bikes over at Maui Cyclery, but it was really Maui Cyclery who hooked us up with some great bikes and REALLY GOOD BETA!!!

You don't really have any other options besides these guys at West Maui if you are on the west side of the island, so just know that this is not Steamboat, nor is it Gunnison or Bend. Call EARLY, RESERVE IN ADVANCE, go ONLINE, or get stuck on a frame that is too small after driving for 40 minutes to the other side of the island to do a ride that you did not plan on.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 2 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Only place on island I could find that rented a somewhat decent mountain bike, but if you aren't on west side or Lahaina the location is very inconvenient for mountain biking on public land since there isn't any on the west side. I reserved bike with added note I was interested on going on ride that they had on sundays. When I showed up they said the ride was cancelled and I wish they would have emailed that since their location was a good drive away from me. Bike was a tad dirty in the drivetrain (a lot of dirt caked in pulleys), and I should have tested out the pressure in suspension for my weight before taking (was way too soft in front fork). Overall they were up front though and fair. Be prepared for detailed damage inspection of bike though.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I spend time in lots of bike shops, always looking for my next bike and talking to the mechanics and sales people. The folks at West Maui Cycles were very pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful. I went in to rent a bike (without a reservation) for a ride the following morning. The mechanic helped with the turns for the west Maui loop (counter clockwise) and set me up with the bike I wanted. I brought all my gear and pedals so only needed the bike. The ride was wonderful and the bike handled the lousy road surfaces, gravel and steep tight corners pretty well. Over the years I have rented a tandem and road bikes on various occasions and always been happy and satisfied with the experience.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Was in Maui for the day on Cruise Ship. Reserved bike online before cruise. Everything was ready when we arrived. Bikes in excellent condition. Shop guys made a few recommendations on routes and lunch stops. Had a great time. Would highly recommend them. Also the 25.00 reserve charge was dropped when we returned the bikes.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Rented a Specialized Roubaix to attempt the West Maui Loop. The bike was in excellent condition and the team at West Maui Cycles were provided advice on the route and were more than understanding when the ride took me longer than expected (it is very hard). If I find myself in Maui again I'll be making a return visit. Also check out the great cycling jerseys they stock. West Maui Cycles is a great end to end experience and right up there with the top service you get from the best Local Bike Shops in the UK.

2  Thank Tony S