The Valley Isle condo complex is in a very convenient location (across the road from the Kahana Center which has several good restaurants). It has a nice beach and the grounds and pool area are well kept. Unfortunately, the unit we stayed in (103) is in the worst location in the entire complex—right in front of the elevators which 90% of the residents must use to get to and from their units. The concrete walls and ceiling of the elevator lobby amplified the voices of people waiting for the elevator, and the noise made it pretty well impossible to leave the door open for ventilation. As well, there is a garbage room beside the elevators and the crash of the trash hitting the bin, followed by the slam of the door reverberates around the elevator lobby. I’m sure that most of the residents would be shocked at how loud they are from inside unit 103.
Condo 103 is a two bedroom unit, but the second bedroom is adjacent to the front door, and has a window that looks out to the elevator lobby. This window is one of those old fashioned glass slat designs (see photo) which provides no sound insulation whatsoever, so anyone trying to sleep in that bedroom will have to listen to the aforementioned voices and crash-slams from the elevator lobby.
The master bedroom has a sliding patio door that opens to a grassy area between the condo building and the beach. It is a nice view, but the sprinkler systems come on at night and they seem very noisy. There is no air conditioning in this building, so sleeping with the patio door open and fans on is definitely necessary.
This condo was recently renovated, but I would say the people doing the work were not very skilled. The kitchen had decent appliances, but was woefully underequipped in terms of cooking utensils and dishes. Bring your own wine glasses and steak knives if you stay in 103, and you’ll have to toss your salad in a cooking pot because there are no large bowls.
The doors and windows of this condo are in terrible shape. The screen of the lanai door was ripped and the windows and doors didn’t close properly and were generally filthy. There is a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom of the front door, and this is probably where the mice get in (several previous renters complained in the guest book of mice). We stuffed newspaper in the gap and didn’t have any problems.
The queen bed in the master bedroom was OK, but the twin beds in the second bedroom were awful. The mattresses were sitting on a hard platform (not a proper box spring) and were extremely uncomfortable. We put one mattress on top of the other to make our daughter more comfortable, but if you need both beds they are going to make for a very uncomfortable stay.
The living room furniture was OK, and the bathrooms were acceptable. One problem with Valley Isle is they have a common hot water system, and there isn’t much of it. Get your shower early in the day or it will be a cold one.
We would definitely return to Valley Isle, but not unit 103. We heard from a number of other residents that many of the units in Valley Isle are overdue for refurbishment (the complex is quite old), so if you want to stay there try to get a recently renovated unit and avoid the ground floor.
One final tip: the Maui Brewing Company and Roy’s restaurants in the Kahana Center are both really good, and if you really want a treat, splash out on Mama’s Fish House (on the road to Hana about 5 miles east of Kahalui). It’s really expensive, but unlike many really expensive restaurants, it’s really worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chase 'N Rainbows (CNR) Real Estate, Inc. is a Maui based, family owned company established in 1980 with two divisions: vacation rental management and real estate sales. For the past twenty years, CNR has been offering visitors and Kama'aina alike, affordable and luxury accommodations at a very competitive price. All of its vacation rental units are carefully selected, meticulously inspected, attractively furnished and well maintained to the highest standards. CNR is committed to providing the finest product and unsurpassed personalized service in the industry. These condominiums come highly recommended by leisure, business, and family travelers with distinctive tastes. A significant number of satisfied, return guests speak for the company's service commitment and quality product. Chase 'N Rainbows is a proud member of the Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau (HVCB), The American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA), Maui Visitors Bureau (MVB), Hawaii Association of Realtors, Maui Chamber of Commerce, and Vacation Rental Managers Association (VRMA). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Valley Isle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valley Isle Hotel Lahaina
- Valley Isle Resort Maui/Lahaina