Valley Isle Resort
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsmurphy bedscreen doorbeach chairscorner unitocean frontherb gardenliving roombeach erosionthe trade windsboogie boardscross breezenice beachsea turtlesbeautiful condowell equipped kitchensound of the waveswhale watching
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 6, 2006

We made arrangements to stay in Unit #707, and the experience was smooth and easy from the beginning. The owners were very responsive to our questions and requests for information. We were visiting Maui for a wedding, and many that were in attendance also stayed at the Valley Isle Resort. Everyone was very happy with the property and would recommend it to others.

Unfortunately for us, we never made it to the resort as there was a massive brushfire on the date of our arrival, which shut down the only highway to Lahaina. But, given our experience with the owners, and our friends' experiences at the property, I would definitely recommend this place as a very nice alternative to a hotel (note the bonuses such as a kitchen and fridge).

They definitely embody the "Aloha" spirit that is often lost with larger hotels.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BIY808
Reviewed August 23, 2006

I am writing this on the owner supplied laptop on our next to last day. We are staying in #404 ...."Da Kondo in Kahana" (website).
Most of the reviews are excellent and this one is the same. I will address some of the comments on some of the more negative reviews.
I am not one of the owners. in fact you can email me at jmd1956@hotmail.com and I will give you as much information as possible. The first thing is to make sure you book directly with the owner. there are many websites that will put you in contact with them.
My wife and I turn 50 this year, all our kids are grown and we left them all behind for our first trip to the islands. I nearly went blind looking at all of the reviews and it seems no matter where you look there are good and bad experiences. Ours has not only been good, it has gone perfect. We were looking for a peaceful, relaxing vacation. We wanted to be close to the water and get some sun and we wnated to avoid crowds. The Valley Isle has let us do that. The beach is small which was great for us because there were few people. The water does get cloudy in the evening, but during the morning and into the late afternoon it was great. Rocks do get washed up here along with some great coral. The pool is small and away from the ocean which I thought was a good idea.
The condo was fine also. I would absolutely agree that you should arrange for one of the condos where the den and bedroom face the ocean. Deb supplied everything we needed and more. Here wahser dryer was out, but she let us know ahead of time and to tell the truth they were too small anyway. She is trying to get them replaced. (You must remember this is here home away from home also). the pay washers are one floor down. She also arranged 5 of the most beautiful sunsets we could have hoped for and did not charge us extra. The parking is easy and free. The Staff was very friendly to us. We did choose this weekend because most schools were starting both on the mainland and here in Hawaii. But again, like lost of the people, the kids were at the larger beaches.
The location is quiet but within minutes drive from everything. We visited the Kaanapali beach area. It is what most consider a typical beach. long, sandy and very busy. Not just with the beach goers, but this is where many of the large resorts are with the Whalers Village shopping and several places to dine. it is also the place where many of the activities are done. After going there we were even happier with the Valley Isle. My wife enjoyed the shops, there is a museum, and a great beach. Just to busy and too loud for what we were looking for. Today we found a little hidden treasure of a beach just a few minutes to the north. Instead of Kaanapali, if you want a larger beach with better waves than what is here at the condo, hit the DT Fleming beach on the road to Kapalua and you will be very satisfied.
Front Street in Lahaina is great, but gets very busy in the evening.But that seemed to add to the character. Shops, galleries, cafes and more.A great little beach community. All within 5 minutes of the condo with pleny of public parking. We never had a bad meal but here were our favorites.
Longhis. Like many of the places it is open air. This one is on the street and not on the water. We got the "Lobster Longhi" which is a huge tray with two Maine lobsters, jumbo shrimp, clams, mussles, calamari on a bed of pasta. This place was pretty pricey but what the hell. Buzz's Wharf, south of Lahaina at Maalaea Harbor. it is located on the way in from the airport so you might want to stop on the way in. Also the aquarium is close by and the harbor has many tour boats and charters. We loved Moose McGillycuddy's in Lahaina and had a great breakfast at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Tomorrow we are thinking about Koni's or Bubba Gump's. And my wife had a great time in the shops. We did not buy the $6500 rolex or the $3500 painting, but she did get a girlfriend a coconut shell bra. And we had great service from everyone at every place.
And that is the last thing. the cost. many reviews about Hawaii talk about the prices. To me it was no different than any other in demand vacation destinations. You can spend as much or as little as you want on anything whether it be food or gifts along with the accomodations. I did not play golf this time, but again, no higher green fees than other great courses. most of the hotels have golf packages. now don't get me wrong there are many places who are happy to take your money. You can ride a submarine, go on a snorkeling trip, parsail, dinner on the water, There are several places to go to a luau. There is an Outback Steakhouse within walkign distance of the condo.
But you can also stick to a budget, buy clothing including great skimpy swimsuits for the wife at good grices and there are several ABC stores (kinda of a general store) that are not over priced. This along with some very good low priced cafes are available.
Or you can soak up the sun for free and relax. Needless to say we will be back. There are hundreds of flyers and magazines to buy, but i would suggest "This Week Maui" ([--]) mainly for the listings and the maps and remember the local phone book has some of the best information on the beaches.
We might explore other islands, but it will be hard not to come back here........ i have to go now because I have an appointment to get my first tatoo.................

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
17  Thank golfgod1956
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We stay @ 1001. What more can we say. This place is awesome. That's why we keep coming back. We come to Scuba Dive and we have to be on the boats @ 6:30am. Having the kitchen is great for those early morning breakfasts.
Every time we come I only bring 2 pairs of shorts 3 t-shirts and my surf trunks. They have a washer and dryer.
We will be coming back for years to come.
You can book this with Mike and Jeannette Wheelan @
[--]
Have fun!!!!
Kevin & Wendy Panizza

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank Kpanizza
Reviewed July 27, 2006

My family and I are staying in Condo 705 as I write this. The condo is light, bright and airy. I am listening to the ocean and watching sailboats and canoes pass by. This condo has been perfect for us, a family of 3. I really like having a full operating kitchen, and a washer and dryer while on a 2 week vacation.
We stayed in the Kihei area our first week.

What we like most about this ocean front condo, was that it sits high enough to where we have a good view of the expansive ocean and sunsets. The view is stunning, and anyone who doesn't live near the ocean might really appreciate this great view. You can also see the other island Molokai in the distance.

You can see the beach from the condo, and what I have noticed is that the tide changes rapidly here. The beach disappears when the tide is in, so not a great swimming or laying on the beach, beach. It seems like most of the Kahana area, and the Mahinahina area is the same - rocky coastline or very small beaches. The GREAT beaches ( of which there are plenty in Maui) are just a quick short drive away.

Mahinahina and Kahana ( which is still the area of Lahaina) is just a 5 min. drive up to Napili Beach, also another 5 min. from there to Kapalua Beach - both are fun beaches to play in. My favorite though is Ka'anapali Beach which is about 10 min. south from Kahana.

Also, Kahana and Mahinahina are GREAT neighborhoods. Quiet, but lots to do. Cute shops and art galleries, and also a quick walk to my favorite restaurant Roy's and Outback Steakhouse, as well as The Maui Brewing company and McDonalds. And the prices for renting a condo in this area tends to better ( lower) than in other areas of Maui.
Hawaii Beaches are public so even the $500 a night hotels such as The Hyatt, The Ritz, The Grand Wailea, and The Maui Prince have public access to their beaches.

I should also mention there is a gym on the first floor of this condo building. This isn't a 5 star resort, but if you want a great ocean view, a relaxed atmosphere and to be able to walk to go out to eat, this is a great place to stay.

We booked our condo directly from the owner, but you can book in this complex through a timeshare we heard, and for some off the beaten path condos we heard you can book through Mauilodging although I think you might get a better price if you book through the owner's direct.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank SDParadiseJewelry
Reviewed July 26, 2006

This was our first stop on our honeymoon in Hawaii and we were pleasantly surprised by the Ocean Front accomodations. We stayed in room 707 and booked directly through the owners who were very helpful and gave us great directions and suggestions on "what to do" on the island. We got pretty spoiled listening to the surf every night since this was on the only ocean front room we had on our vacation. Our room was also stocked w/ a lot of "extras" like a cooler, boogie board, and lots of supplies in the kitchen (although we didn't use the kitchen at all!). The building is on the older side (probably 60's or 70's) but for the price we paid (about 1/3 of the other places were were looking at and those weren't even ocen front), I'm not going to complain. Oh, it should be noted that there really isn't a "beach" out front... you can walk up and down the beach but it's too small (as in too close to the water) to lay out or hang out but we found a bunch of different beaches close to the area. I would recommend the Valley Isle Resort!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple