“Loved it”
Review of Maui Wave Riders

Maui Wave Riders
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Learn to surf or SUP with our ohana in Lahaina! We provide everything you need to surf or SUP in each lesson! Our lessons includes use of a rashguard (to protect your skin), and reef booties (to protect your feet) as well as all the surf or SUP gear. We focus on safety and fun! Our instructors are local surf and SUP pros and excellent teachers with a passion for sharing aloha!
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Tried surfing lessons as a teenager in the 90s and had a terrible experience (never even got up once, didn't really understand what I was doing wrong, etc.).

With Sonny at Maui Wave Riders, I was up the first time and caught about 14 to 16 waves in total. The only drawback was that I caught so many waves that my arms were tired at the end of the day from having to paddle back. :) Not a bad problem to have.

Sonny also did a great job during a dryland lesson explaining how to get up, stay up, and keep yourself safe.

Recommended. I'm also planning to go back the next time I return to Maui.

All reviews
"semi private lesson"
in 25 reviews
"surf lessons"
in 30 reviews
"free rental"
"group lesson"
in 21 reviews
"stand up paddle boarding"
in 10 reviews
"great photos"
"bucket list"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I had actually never thought about taking a surf lesson, but on our recent family trip to Maui, my 5yr old had her heart set on it! She talked about surfing for months before we left, told everyone she knew she was going to surf in hawaii, and it was the only thing she really had her heart set on, so of course, we decided to give it a try. After considering a bunch of different agencies, we finally decided on MWR partly because of a pamphlet we got at the airport (stating they specialized in novices and cowards, lol!!), partly because the mid morning lesson time (10 am) worked well for our family...not too early, done by lunch, avoid the heat of the afternoon.
I was a little nervous as i had no idea what to expect; although i can swim, i havent spent a great deal of time in the ocean and was a little intimidated. Todd immediately made us feel at ease. Our original plan for a semi private lesson for our daughter, with either my husband or myself to join her ( we hadn't decided who yet), as we also have a nervous 7yr old with no interest in trying surfing and a 10-1/2 mo old, so needed someone to stay back on the beach. Todd graciously offered to let us both give it a try and switch up partway through the lesson.
After a short walk from the shop to the beach and a quick lesson on shore, we were in the water. Because of her age (and scary over confidence in her abilities!), Todd stayed on the board with my daughter. She was on top of the world as she caught her first wave! And wanted to try again, and again, and again... And to our amazement, both my husband stood up on our first tries!
the location was great, the bottom was a little rocky, but we didn't notice as MWV supplied water shoes for us. It was shallow enough that we didn't feel intimidated but still with decent sized waves for beginners (he said they actually had the best surf that day they'd had in a while). It was also a great place to be sble to watch from shore and switch up. We all had a great time, Todd was great, personable, so accomodating, and you could tell he truly loved surfing and enjoyed his job. This was the highlight of our trip and we all had a blast!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Instructors Chyna and Akima were excellent! They provided my group with great instructions on paddle boarding. Took us for a nice paddle around the ocean, maneuvering us between shallow reef spots and even brought us back to do some SUP surfing!! While taking us out, they were able to give us some history and background of the sport as well as the marine life that passed us.

One of the best experiences we had on Maui, definitely ask for Chyna and Akima

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Instructor JB was great and interesting. However, surfing area is full of rocks and there aren't that many waves (just enough to make you tired swimming to the instructor and buoy). Almost collided with another surfer and had to fall off my board. Skinned my thigh (could have been worse).

Not sure if their Kihei location might be better?

3  Thank BusTraveler0213
See more reviews
Reviewed January 3, 2013

If your going to Maui you need to take surf lessons. My 16 year old daughter and 15 year old took lessons with MWR and as a parent I was impressed. Mike was their instructor and he did a fabulous job. They spend the first part of the lesson on the beach as they learn the basics and fundamentals of surfing. Then they go out into the water in order to catch a wave. The class is held in the breakwater on the beach in Lahaina and is a great place to start.

You go out one at a time in order to catch a wave. My daughter got up on her first attempt and my son on his second attempt. Watching the smile on their faces as they came towards shore was priceless. It was one of pure enjoyment.

Everything about Maui Wave Rider was first class and very professional. Who knows, maybe on our next trip to Maui I'll get on a board too.