“This is no cruise out on the water .... be ready to fish”

Die Hard Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Die Hard Sport Fishing catches fish 9 out of 10 times we go out fishing. We leave earliest and use Live bait, We fillet your fish and tell you how to cook it. We supply all the Bait & Tackle. We specialize in Our early departure 8hr fishing trip. We also have 6hr and 4hr fishing trip. Including Bottom fishing Great fun!
Reviewed September 27, 2014

We spent days researching countless boats and trying to decide who to go with. There were 12 of us so we needed 2 boats. We decided upon Die Hard and another boat I can't comment on as much as I wasn't on it. We booked our 8 hour charter.

We got a call the day before confirming our time of 1am departure and sure enough Fuzzy and his 1st mate were there ready to go. They had done their live bait bait fishing and had only come up with 6 fish(they started losing enough fish/lures to sharks they gave up). Needless to say we were a little worried on our chances.

We spent our first 5 hours cruising in pitch black to our fishing hole. (also left us a bit worried how much actual fishing time we were going to get.) Fuzzy and Sam assured us we needed our rods in first light as thats when the tuna would feed.

Once we hit the spot, we got an overview how this was going to work and started setting the rods. Got our first line in the water and we hadn't even set the second before fuzzy had a tuna on and we were away fishing!

Our first 20 mins and we had 5 tuna in the boat. Hour later and we were up to 12. We had yellowfin, big eye, skipjack. All in we land 18 tuna(all around 15-30lb) in the boat and a couple lost. Multiple times we had 3 fish on all at once.

After tuna fishing for awhile it was time to set the lines and go for the big ones! We set the lines and began fishing as we trolled our long journey back towards the harbour.

Line started flying! After a long battle we landed ourselves a 328lb and almost 11ft long marlin in the boat.

We had one other bite on our way back which appeared to be an ono but we lost it.

we reached the dock back at 11:30 which in total left us with a 10.5 hour day on the boat at no extra charge.

There were 8 boats on the radio which came back empty and our other group; that went on another boat came back with minimal fish and of small size.

We told fuzzy we were in town for a wedding and wanted to bring back some fish for a big barbecue. Unlike some other boats we had read about these guys are generous with their fish! 4 ziploc bags stuffed with tuna they could barely close. We fed the whole wedding of 40 for 2 days at bbqs with tuna steaks, home made poke and sashimi.

I have fished many times and these guys tried so damn hard even after our arms started to pack in due to fighting fish.

I would recommend them again in a second and we have already talked about heading back to maui again, even if it is just to fish.

5  Thank AJ D
"fresh sushi"
"shared charter"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed September 24, 2014

The fishing gods did not truly smile on us, but the Capt and deckhand worked really hard. If you want to catch bait you have to be present at 5 PM or so when they make a quick bait run. To tell you the truth we had fun on the bait run catching stringers of 3 - 5 mackerel at a time. Then later you board again around 1:45 AM and head out to the fishing grounds. There were 5 passengers on the boat and we each caught about 5 or 6 baby yellowfin tuna and a couple of skipjack. We were using heavier trolling gear in hopes of catching really big fish bit it simply didn't happen. So we went home with some very expensive tuna but I can't over emphasized how hard the crew worked. They are true fisherman and they gave it their best shot. This is no tourist trap like the ones I have encountered elsewhere. I'd go again and gamble that the fishing gods will be a little friendlier next time.

4  Thank Lou C
captfuzzydiehard, Guest Relations Manager at Die Hard Sport Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2014

Thank you for the Great review :) Just wanted to clear up the bait fishing time frames. We do use LIVE BAIT! this is one of the reasons we catch fish 9 out of 10 times we go out. In this review Our customer states that if you want to go bait fishing you would need to be at the dock at 5 pm. That is not always to case tho. The bait bite can be from 5 pm to 1:30 am everyday is different. Give us a call we will be more then happy to explain further. ALOHA"S and Mahalo's for all the reviews!

Reviewed September 12, 2014

Having just returned from a long holiday in America this is the first opportunity I have had to write in regards to my husband and son in laws trip. We had researched extensively who to do the fishing trip with and after reading the reviews and speaking to the company decided to pay an extra $75pp more than another fishing charter as it was stated that they would leave in the early hours of the morning to go and catch bait and then continue on to do some deep sea fishing. As this offered two experiences of fishing we thought it was well worth it. When they arrived at the boat the live bait was already onboard and they proceeded straight to the deep sea fishing area, it is appreciated that there is no guarantee of what type or how many fish you could catch, but the 'fishing experience' was mundane. The main catch was Mahi Mahi and fight minimal, our son in law thought this may be because of the strength of the line and rods meant the fish had no play in them. After fishing for an hour they headed off back to mainland and new rods where put out with the promise of great play to come... it never happened.... My daughter and I were expecting to have husbands returning elated by their experience instead they returned disappointed and bemused by the whole event. Apparently, the other people that were on the trip also appeared very deflated and not fuelled by the excitement of the trip. As stated before, it is agreed that you cannot dictate where the fish are, although with modern technology there is strong element of knowledge, but the fact that there was no bait fishing before hand does mean that they overpaid. The feeling was that they had been conned and that the fish that were caught were tailored more than likely to fill orders for local restaurants.

Date of experience: August 2014
5  Thank judgebabes
Reviewed September 9, 2014

From the get go we were told things had been pretty slow the previous week, so none of us had high hopes. We launched at 2 AM and headed to a new spot that was rumored to be producing. 4 1/2 hrs later, we arrived at our destination. Within 1 1/2 hrs we had 18 Yellow Fin Tuna on the deck and a Skipjack. Capt. Fuzzy made the call and we pulled up our light lines and started heading for home, but of course we trolled for bigger fish on the way back with heavier gear. The Fishing Gods smiled on me and I landed my first Mahi Mahi on the way back. Gorgeous fish! We continued heading back to port and 10 mins later I hooked up with a nice Wahoo. This was my first big game fish charter and I couldn't be more pleased. I took home a full Tuna but was offered way more. I just wouldn't have had the time to eat it. We also divided up the Mahi Mahi so everyone got some. We booked an 8 hr trip, but we got over 10 hrs because Capt. Fuzzy was willing to put the extra time in to get us fish.

1  Thank Iverson1172