Open today: 6:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Review Highlights
Worked hard and put us on fish

Great day on the water with two (capt. Fuzzy and Andy) knowledgeable fishermen. The boat was clean... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
SIDNEYPOINTERS
Yippie Ki-Yay

First of all - after reading some of the previous reviews - it seems like this disclaimer should be... read more

Reviewed December 10, 2020
Grey056
Los Angeles, California

Recommended experiences in and around Maui
from $31.74
from $79.95
from $75.60
from $45.22
More Info
All reviews yellowfin tuna bait fish these guys private charter great trip shared charter hooked up small tuna rough seas non stop action blue marlin top notch buoy trolling fuzzy fished mate
Selected filters
Reviewed September 24, 2014

The fishing gods did not truly smile on us, but the Capt and deckhand worked really hard. If you want to catch bait you have to be present at 5 PM or so when they make a quick bait run. To tell you the truth we had fun on the bait run catching stringers of 3 - 5 mackerel at a time. Then later you board again around 1:45 AM and head out to the fishing grounds. There were 5 passengers on the boat and we each caught about 5 or 6 baby yellowfin tuna and a couple of skipjack. We were using heavier trolling gear in hopes of catching really big fish bit it simply didn't happen. So we went home with some very expensive tuna but I can't over emphasized how hard the crew worked. They are true fisherman and they gave it their best shot. This is no tourist trap like the ones I have encountered elsewhere. I'd go again and gamble that the fishing gods will be a little friendlier next time.

Date of experience: September 2014
4  Thank Lou C
captfuzzydiehard, Guest Relations Manager at Die Hard Sport Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2014

Thank you for the Great review :) Just wanted to clear up the bait fishing time frames. We do use LIVE BAIT! this is one of the reasons we catch fish 9 out of 10 times we go out. In this review Our customer states that if you want to go bait fishing you would need to be at the dock at 5 pm. That is not always to case tho. The bait bite can be from 5 pm to 1:30 am everyday is different. Give us a call we will be more then happy to explain further. ALOHA"S and Mahalo's for all the reviews!

Reviewed September 12, 2014

Having just returned from a long holiday in America this is the first opportunity I have had to write in regards to my husband and son in laws trip. We had researched extensively who to do the fishing trip with and after reading the reviews and speaking to the company decided to pay an extra $75pp more than another fishing charter as it was stated that they would leave in the early hours of the morning to go and catch bait and then continue on to do some deep sea fishing. As this offered two experiences of fishing we thought it was well worth it. When they arrived at the boat the live bait was already onboard and they proceeded straight to the deep sea fishing area, it is appreciated that there is no guarantee of what type or how many fish you could catch, but the 'fishing experience' was mundane. The main catch was Mahi Mahi and fight minimal, our son in law thought this may be because of the strength of the line and rods meant the fish had no play in them. After fishing for an hour they headed off back to mainland and new rods where put out with the promise of great play to come... it never happened.... My daughter and I were expecting to have husbands returning elated by their experience instead they returned disappointed and bemused by the whole event. Apparently, the other people that were on the trip also appeared very deflated and not fuelled by the excitement of the trip. As stated before, it is agreed that you cannot dictate where the fish are, although with modern technology there is strong element of knowledge, but the fact that there was no bait fishing before hand does mean that they overpaid. The feeling was that they had been conned and that the fish that were caught were tailored more than likely to fill orders for local restaurants.

5  Thank judgebabes
Reviewed September 9, 2014

From the get go we were told things had been pretty slow the previous week, so none of us had high hopes. We launched at 2 AM and headed to a new spot that was rumored to be producing. 4 1/2 hrs later, we arrived at our destination. Within 1 1/2 hrs we had 18 Yellow Fin Tuna on the deck and a Skipjack. Capt. Fuzzy made the call and we pulled up our light lines and started heading for home, but of course we trolled for bigger fish on the way back with heavier gear. The Fishing Gods smiled on me and I landed my first Mahi Mahi on the way back. Gorgeous fish! We continued heading back to port and 10 mins later I hooked up with a nice Wahoo. This was my first big game fish charter and I couldn't be more pleased. I took home a full Tuna but was offered way more. I just wouldn't have had the time to eat it. We also divided up the Mahi Mahi so everyone got some. We booked an 8 hr trip, but we got over 10 hrs because Capt. Fuzzy was willing to put the extra time in to get us fish.

Date of experience: September 2014
1  Thank Iverson1172
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We've been coming to Maui every summer for the past 7 years. The first two years we went out on other sport fishing charters and, to be honest, we're very successful. Then a local we met recommended Die Hard. Today was the 5th time we've gone out with Captain Fuzzy and we've caught fish EVERY SINGLE TIME! He's got a formula that works for us, that's for sure. We fished live bate. We jigged. We trolled. And most importantly, we caught fish--mahi mahi, ono and yellow fin. You'd better believe we're having a feast tonight.

I guess the biggest endorsement I can give it to say, we've already made our reservation for next year.

2  Thank socalmLA
Reviewed August 10, 2014

For those of you who love deep sea fishing this is your boat. These guys know how to find and catch the fish. Even though we were up against many sharks taking our catches we still managed to land 10 Mahi Mahi and 11 Tuna to the boat.
Your day usually will begin very early in the night, but thats what you need to do to get to the hot spots at dawn when they are feeding. One of the best trips we have done, and we have been on many different boats in our journeys to Maui. My son's first battle was with the shark that was stealing our bait fish as we were trying to get them for the days events. Even though we didnt get it to the boat all they way, once it came off it left us to finish catching enough bait for the day.
Once we got to the fishing spot, Capt. Fuzzy had fish on in about one minute... the first few we lost, mostly to sharks and a few to human error. But once we all got tht e hang of the gear and the system, it was ON! It was the best fishing we have ever done. Highlight of the day was my son's battle for his tuna while a sharks chased it...Capt. Fuzzy was telling him to reel as fast as possible that a shark was about to get his catch, but my son was no match for this beast. We all watched this huge shark explode up out of the water and bite the back end of his tuna right off. My son was reeling so fast that the fish head was skipping on the surface of the water, but that shark wasn't done, and came back around for the rest! And in a second my son lost his fish to that shark. But it made for an amazing day! We caught some much fish that people were passing their turn over to the next guy just to rest. LOL
Thank you to Captian Fuzzy and his deck hand Sam. These guys really work hard to get everyone on fish. When we go back to Maui, this is our new fishing charter boat from now on...my search is over!!!

1  Thank Wireman_Mike