“Close to the water, but loud and crowded”

Honu Seafood and Pizza
Reserve with OpenTable
Honu Seafood and Pizza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 275 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kapunakea Street
Description: In 2010 Judy and Mark opened Honu Seafood & Pizza 20 feet away from Mala Ocean Tavern. A quintessential seafood eatery which has a fully unobstructed view of the Pacific Ocean with 10 feet from waters edge.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I've been to Mala a number of times and enjoyed it, but never visited Honu until our last visit to Maui in September. I've heard good things about Honu but every time I looked at the menu I never found much that looked appealing to me. I'm not a fan of clams or oysters and if I wanted an east coast seafood place I'd just travel to the east coast instead of Maui.

We finally decided to try it. We had a reservation for 6:15 pm. When we arrived the place was already packed and we ended up waiting at the bar for about 20 mninutes before our table was ready. We got a table near the exterior that gave us a nice view of the water. Honu is bigger than Mala but the tables are just as close together and it's loud from all the people in a relatively small space.

My wife and I love the ahi bruschetta at Mala so I ordered it as an appetizer, and followed that with the fresh fish dore style. My wife had a salad and the ahi bruschetta as her entree. The bruschetta was essentially the same as Mala's and just as tasty. The fish I had was also quite good. The service was friendly and efficient. It's cost is similar to Mala.

Overall I enjoyed it and we're likely to return on a future visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were three couples who met for dinner. The restaurant is easy to find on Front St next to Mala. Their sign says they specialize in seafood and pizza. We decided to all try different pizzas along with a kale salad. One couple had the squash soup which they claimed was excellent. The waitress mentioned that the pizza is on a thin crust and described it making it seem very special. In actuality the crust was thin but doughy not crisp. I give it a rating of 5 on a 1 to 10 scale. The kale salad which the waitress also raved about was barely fair. My husband couldn't even eat it. The pizzas come in one size, big enough for two but enough for one hungry man. They ranged from 17 to 26 dollars, the latter being extremely pricy. The salad was 14.00 for a handful of kale. To my taste, the salad was just passable as far as taste is concerned. So perhaps the sea food is better and worth a try but I wouldn't order the pizza.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I wish I could remember our bartenders name, he was great! While parking the car we got a beautiful view of the sunset. There is seating right by the water through open windows they were all taken, so we ate at the bar. Like I said before the bartender he was great! Everyone in my group got some great island brews and I had a hibiscus martini! Yum! We were served chickpeas I ate almost a whole bowl before our pizzas showed up. We just got pepperoni but it was great! It's worth the wait to get a table or grab a seat at the bar! Highly recommended!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Same owners and some dishes similar to those at Mala's. It suffers only in comparison to Mala's. Great service, same great view as Mala's (which is next door).

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We had lunch here based on its proximity to the water and another restaurant we had visited. The chickpeas served before the meal were very tasty. We had the pizza of the day, which was a shrimp pizza and very good, quite delicious. Service was great. This place is pricey though, which would deter me from coming back.