“Neat, Clean but not that Handy”
Review of Aina Nalu

Aina Nalu
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
New Westminster, Canada
“Neat, Clean but not that Handy”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

These condos are spacious and clean, but really quite far from the water (3 blocks), I suppose they are fine depending on what youe expectations might be for a holiday.

The two pools are beautiful and the grounds are very nicely kept. It is a short 3 block walk to Front Street where all the shops and restaurants are located. I suppose I might stay here again as it is a reasonable hotel/condo. I really have no negative comments, but there is no WOW comments either

Room Tip: May want to request a ground level room so you do not have to carry luggage and groceries up stairs
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OutriggerAinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Aloha RickSandra,

thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay at the property. I apologize you were not aware ahead of time where the beach is located. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

oan@outrigger.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We recently stayed in unit A-102 for six nights. The unit was clean and well stocked with the necessities we needed. No extras like beach equipment, though. We did not mind that there was no maid service during our stay, we are quite self-sufficient and do not like being disturbed during our stay. We did not shell out for the on-site parking and were able to find street parking within a block or so, every night. The check-out housekeeping cost was less than the website stated, so if that is a concern, you might want to look into that beforehand. The property is two blocks from the main strip in Lahaina, so it was nice to leave our car behind and go walking or to catch a whale watching cruise from the harbor.

The cons were that the walls were very thin. We immediately noticed when people checked in next door during our stay. They were not noisy and we could tell it was a regular conversation volume, but we could hear everything. And because of the layout, we had to keep our blinds and doors closed for privacy. Also, it would have been nice to have a lanai, to be able to eat outdoors, but none were available and there wasn't enough privacy anyways.

That being said, the few staff we dealt with were all very nice and we were comfortable staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OutriggerAinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Aloha NVanFamily,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay. I will pass along your comments about the staff to management. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The Aina Nalu complex is a pleasant retreat with its own amenities, but it is also within a couple of blocks of the banyan park, the waterfront, the sights, and the shops. You can eat in one of the many restaurants looking out toward the sunset, and be back in your own quiet condo within minutes. We chose to pay for the rather expensive overnight parking because our unit was one of the furthest from the main road and also because the walk from the car to our doors was just a few feet after a busy day with tired young children. Others might prefer to use the less expensive and slightly less convenient parking across the street from the complex. They only enforce at night, so you can drive in to unload your luggage and load up when you leave even if you opt for the offsite parking. They also have an understandable restriction for use of the beautiful pools by residents, but are very relaxed and pleasant in enforcing it. We used the larger pool with its hot tub and attractive well kept lounging and picnic shelters. We enjoyed our stay at Aina Nalu and would recommend it to others.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Aloha James S,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm pleased you and your family were able to enjoy your stay at the property. You have brought up a couple of points that are helpful to future guests.

Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Our room smelled musty and mildewed. There is no longer daily cleaning service, there is NO cleaning service until you vacate the unit and then you're charged! It costs $15 per day for parking. Apparently there is a problem with private owners and Outrigger over rental policies and if you call housekeeping to get a towel or for a repair they ask if you rented through Outrigger. The staff seemed unhappy and not at all friendly. No smiles, no warm welcome. This was our sixth time staying here and after this experience it was our last. Don't know what's happened in the last couple of years but they need to fix it.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank janp0122
Aloha janp0122,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm sorry you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. We actually stopped daily housekeeping service in March of 2012 and our check out cleaning cost started this summer.

Please contact me in regard to staff as I would like to pass along specific comments to management.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Prior to arriving at the hotel we upgraded from a Studio to a One Bedroom, the upgrade fee was minimal and well worth it. The extra living space that you get is nice, the kitchen was very useful and it also came with the washer and dryer. The hotel has two pools, the salt water pool has a very nice and scenic view of the valley. The restaurants and stores are all in walking distance, the hotel itself is a good 45 min drive from the airport, but it feels secluded yet close to everything.

Room Tip: One bedroom with one bath, can accommodate 4 people.
Aloha tasyed786,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your 1 bedroom accommodation. It's great you enjoyed the convenience of the location.

Toronto
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The hotel looks great in photos but once we got here, we were immediately disappointed by the obvious dirtiness and wear and tear of the place. Oven had food remnants. Backsplash was covered in stains. All the faucets had months worth of hard water stains (the kitchen faucet was so gross, we spent at least half an hour scraping off black gunk just so we could touch it). Counter is granite but hasn't been polished in a while so it is very dull with lots of stainage. Counters and coffee table were also covered in a light slick of grease. Walls had lipstick, fingerprints, scuff marks, animal scratches. Closet had kibble on the floor. Couch was sunken and looked like it came off the curb.

I talked to front desk about it and she mentioned some rooms were being re-painted. I think this hotel would have been better if they had a team to deep clean rooms. I'm sure this place must have been nice when it was new but now... I know why it was the most affordable condo on Maui. I'm not surprised that some of the rooms have ant problems (luckily, ours didn't).

Typically, I'm not super picky about hotels. I just like a clean place to stay and this place is probably one of the dirtiest places I have stayed besides Che Telmo in Argentina. However, the hotel itself is in a great location (walking distance to everything) and the complex is nice enough.

Rooms don't have wifi access so remember to bring your own device. So 1990's!

3 Thank froggybrain
OutriggerAinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Aloha froggybrain,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize that the room did not meet your needs. Unfortunately it is difficult for us to correct a problem in regard to cleanliness of the unit if we are not told until the day before you are scheduled to check out. Please be advised that is not normal for the property and we have taken your concerns to the Housekeeping manager.
I’m pleased you were able to enjoy the convenience of the property. Please let me know if you need assistance in booking your next stay with us.

Lancaster, California
Reviewed December 2, 2013

When we checked in, the lady at the front desk told us that if we wanted our room cleaned it would be $50.00 each time. She went on to mention that we could call the front desk for complimentary amenities (shampoo/conditioner); but, if we wanted extra towels or our room cleaned we would have to call house-keeping for a $50 fee. I was confused until I got into the room and realized that this was a time share. If I had stayed past a week, I would have wanted the room cleaned w/ fresh towels. So, not knowing this wasn't a "hotel" upfront would have been an issue for me.

However, as it turns out, since we stayed < 1 week, we didn't run out of towels or shampoo. The rooms were clean and had a complete kitchen (fridge, stove, microwave, sink, dishes); there were also a stacked washer and dryer w/ two packages of laundry detergent (so, we could have washed towels (and clothes) if we had the need).

The location of this condo was perfect. It is one block from the waterfront and Front Street where there are restaurants and shopping. The area seemed very safe, we walked every night w/ absolutely no problems. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAMROX69CA
Aloha JAMROX69CA,

thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I'm pleased you were able to enjoy your stay with us. You are correct that we no longer offer daily housekeeping service and there is a fee. However the 1 and 2 bedroom units offer a washer and dryer so guests are able to wash their own sheets and towels as needed. The Aina Nalu is actually not a time share (although the units are condominium accommodations) but a vacation rental property managed by Outrigger Hotels Hawaii.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the property. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay.