“Excellent place to stay.”
Review of Aina Nalu

Aina Nalu
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent place to stay.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were great. Very relaxing surroundings. Close to front street. We were upgraded to a one bedroom. Very roomy. We plan on returning next year. Services were great and location is not too far to anything on the island.

• Stayed September 2013
OutriggerAinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Aloha ShooterChief,

thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

oan@outrigger.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've read positive and negative reviews on this hotel and its a reminder to me that opinions are like butt holes.......we all have one! Lol First off, this hotel is not like a traditional hotel with food room service, daily towels replacing, bed making up etc. This is a condo style resort where you're like renting a timeshare. With that said, they offer this for selected units and we met an owner that lived there. We had a one bedroom unit and there wasn't anything negative I could say about the room. Full kitchen with everything from a stove to wine glasses, bottle opener and dishwasher. The clothes washer/dryer came in handy and this was the 1st trip I've been on and didn't take any dirty clothes home. We stayed in room K108 and was convenient to the parking lot and the main street. I'm glad I got the heads up from another user review about the hotel parking fee vs parking on the street!!
We WILL return and would recommend this place to anyone going to Maui. The only staff we interacted with was Naomi, who was very pleasant and helpful with giving us a cool hand drawn Laina map and marking a lot of places to check out. Upon checking out, we asked Liz for another one of these maps to keep as a souvenir, and she was very unpleasant, but we just brushed off her attitude. Again, we will return to this beautiful resort and you should check it out!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R0ckyTraveler
OutriggerAinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Aloha R0ckyTraveler,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable and somewhat humorous review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay. I will forward your comments about the Front Desk staff to their manager. Thank you as we appreciate the compliments as well as the complaints.

Please contact me if you would like me to mail you another of those maps, I'm sorry you were not able to take one home. Also please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Midwest USA
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed in G108 in the Aloha building which was a 2 bed 2 bath on 1st floor just a few doors down from the reception area Aug 20-27 with my Mom, brother and his girl friend.
The pros...
Nice clean, complex with 2 nice pools and a Jacuzzi. Front street was a 3 minute walk away. Condo was well stocked and we did not pay for the housekeeping. When we needed anything like coffee filters, laundry soap, shampoo, etc..., we got it at the front desk. Flat screen TV's in both bedrooms and the living room. A/C units in both bedrooms and living room. Parking was plentiful but if I had it to do again, I would park on the street and save the daily parking fee. There were plenty of spots. Complex was quiet and patrolled. There was one night we heard the neighbors partying pretty loud. We didn't call anyone and security knocked on the door and told them to cool it. We never heard another loud night after that. Front desk staff very helpful and kind during our stay.

The cons...
Mildew and lots of it. I know it's the tropics but this unit needs some serious bleach. The shower walls in the master bath have lots of mold growing. My sinuses only plug up when they are around mold and my nose ran the entire time we were there.
They had professionals spray the entire complex for bugs while we were there. Our kitchen was infested with tiny little spider like ants. Hundreds of them were coming out of the sink. They came and sprayed again but they were back the next morning. Again, it's the tropics, but this was a serious infestation.
I booked this vacation back in March. I called them shortly after to request a 2 bed 2 bath on the second floor with 2 twins in one of the bedrooms. I was told to do this in order to get the room I wanted. However, when I called, I was met with a "why are you calling so far ahead" attitude and it was clear that this person was put off by my calling. I waited and called again about 4 weeks later and was met with the same attitude. I knew it was never going to happen before arriving and I was right. Even though I called twice, we were put in a room on the ground floor, with 1 king and 1 queen. Things like this don't make or break a vacation for me, they do, however, have an affect on which place I choose to stay the next time I visit. Being on the second floor and having one of the bedrooms with 2 beds was important to us. I feel we booked far enough ahead of time that this should never have been an issue.
Overall, we had a good time and didn't spend that much time at the resort. Nothing against Aina Nalu, but when I return to Maui next spring, I will stay on the beach in a newer complex. I knew going in this was and older resort and not on the beach, just expected to get the room we wanted and think we could have been accommodated if our request would have been taken seriously in the beginning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank eyelive2travel
Aloha eyelive2travel,

thank you for taking the time to post your mostly favorable review. I'm glad that you mainly enjoyed your stay on the property.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience as I would like to get a little more information about the "cons" during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the future.

Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Aina Nalu is managed by the Outrigger group, which in itself, lends an assurance of quality. Its location is wonderful, situated within easy walking distance of Front Street in Lahaina, where visitors can enjoy a variety of shops, restaurants and a true Hawaiian experience. The grounds of the complex are lovely -- well maintained and landscaped. Two salt water pools provide a refreshing respite from the heat. One amazing asset is the Hawaiian Long House, located at the main pool. This open-air structure is equipped with comfortable seating areas where folks can congregate, while keeping track of their youngsters in the pool. There is a large dining table and a sink and ice maker available for drinks.

We stayed for a few nights in a one bedroom unit. The unit was compact, (not surprising, due to the location of the complex within the prime Lahaina area). The kitchen was small, but adequately equipped with appliances, (including a dishwasher,) and cooking and eating utensils. The bathroom was lovely - and looked recently updated. The floor, vanity top, and shower were attractively tiled. An apartment sized washer and dryer (equipped with detergent,) was greatly appreciated.

The living room and bedroom were drab and carpeted in a dark color. The furniture looked old and outdated, and was chipped and worn. The living room featured a cabinet equipped with an old, 19 inch box tv, although there was a new flat screen tv in the bedroom. Although the mattress was adequate, the foam pillows were rock hard. We inquired about the possibility of procuring a feather pillow, but were told that none were available. (We solved this problem by purchasing a feather pillow at KMart.) The complex was cooled by window air conditioning units that went on and off throughout the night and were quite noisy. The units were not sound-insulated and we were kept awake by a crying baby who was apparently, experiencing a very stressful night. Although Wifi access was available, we could connect only when we were sitting within the pool area. Wifi was not available within the units.

We have actually stayed at the Aina Nalu on several occasions. We have always experienced a clean room and have enjoyed the pool and the wonderful location. Older guests should be advised that this is a two-story structure, with no elevator. Seniors might want to request a ground floor room, as it can be challenging for some, to pull suitcases up the stairs.

Room Tip: Senior citizens might want to request ground floor units. There are no elevators.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jane H
OutriggerAinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Aloha Janebharris,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for staying with us again. You have noted a lot of information in your review that will be helpful to other guests.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This could be a very decent place to stay if two major issues get fixed.

The first and most important is the ignorance of the staff. We discovered issues of mold (which is the second issue) in the first apartment we stayed at, and went straight back to report this. To our surprise we were not believed by the staff, even after they had inspected the condo! They suggested we could pay to upgrade our condo to a larger one, and even so we would have to wait until the next day. The next day we got a new condo of the same size anyway, and even here there were mold - though not as smelly as the first apartment. But as the week progressed, the mold stench appeared here as well. They should have accommodated us elsewhere, it is not our problem that they have condos in an unhealthy environment.

The mold issue is probably present in most condos, as there is no air outlet from the bathroom, and you must dry your bathing clothes indoors and that you are asked to turn of the air conditioning unit when you leave the condo. I am guessing that all condos will have to be rebuilt in a short matter of time.

Other points worth mentioning is that you have to pay for housekeeping and parking, and that there is a rooster making noise all night on the premises. No wifi in the rooms, only in the pool houses. And the condos were very dirty! A thick coat of dust on the fan in the middle of the room.

Nice things worth mentioning is the pool area, which is very nice with comfortable sun beds to lie on (for some reason you have to wear a wristband when present in the pool area). The pool area is the only reason the property gets 2/5 in this review. Nice location in Lahaina as well.

All in all we only used the condo to sleep in, and were outside the rest of our week on Maui. We stayed in condos E101 and F101 - July 2013.

Room Tip: Do not choose E101 or F101.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ove M
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 20, 2013

If you're interested in staying in a central location in West Maui, this is fine. Cute tourist-y town, nice beaches nearby, well-appointed condo (S&P, paper towels, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc.). We stayed here for four nights of our honeymoon and did not end up spending much time in our 1-bedroom condo... it was on the lower level and I think the shades are often drawn for privacy, meaning the sunlight doesn't get into dry out the space after swimmers sit on the furniture -- it smelled of mildew. The blinds were very dusty, the shade in the bathroom spattered with toothpaste, and the upholstered kitchen counter stools were covered with stains. Another condo might be nicer, who knows. The grounds were beautiful and well kept, including the salt water pool (sadly the hot tub was closed after our first night). If you're on a budget and plan to be out and about Maui every day (as you should!) this place will be fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gogo_alix
Aloha gogo_alix,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your honeymoon stay. And you are right the Outrigger Aina Nalu is a great location when you are spending your time exploring Maui.

Please contact me in regard to the unit you stayed in at your earliest convenience as I would like to discuss it. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

Ca
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Aina Nalu for a week. 2 bd 2bath. Room C210. It is a beautiful property and condo, it had two twin beds in one room and king in the other. The kitchen had everything I needed to cook but an small egg pan. Room for six people to eat. four at table and two at bar.Plenty of towels and the six extra large pool towels were nice. We enjoyed both pools. We were in a condo closer to highway and it didn't keep me awake at all I loved that we could walk to shopping, restaurants and short drive to Safeway. Just pay the 15 bucks a day to park on the grounds it was nice not having to search for parking. The beach access is a short walk away. I LOVED this place and had no problems worth mentioning except the master bathroom door wouldn't lock.. The condo is equipped with a washer/dryer and a DVD ,blue ray player and redbox movies are available at Foodland. Our TVs were fairly new large flat screens. It's nice to rest and watch a movie after a long day of hiking. They are not able to print boarding passes but it didnt take any time at all to just get them at the airport. This is home away from home!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Dounome
Aloha Dounome,

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for all the helpful advice you have noted for other guests. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property soon!