“Great value in Lahaina, Maui.”
Review of Aina Nalu

Aina Nalu
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Maui, Hawaii
“Great value in Lahaina, Maui.”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Aloha from Maui,
This weekend I stayed at Outrigger Aina Nalu. It is located in Lahaina town close to lots of wonderful places to shop and eat. This visit we stopped by the new Fleetwoods, Lahaina coolers and Cool cats.

Being a resident of Maui, Hawaii I like to make it a point to do a “staycation” at least once a month. This trip was just a short 1 hour drive from my house.

Lahaina is an old whaling town and there are lots to see. It was fun to walk around on Friday evening or “art night” as they call it here on Maui. We checked out some great art, had some discount drinks at happy hour and were back to our condo within a few hours.

I really like the Aina Nalu. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit. With this property they don’t do a certain “view type” how they categorize their rooms are by size. Studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms.

The unit was clean, well stocked and comfortable. We enjoyed their 2 pools and club house. The daily paper was nice. The only thing I didn’t like is they recently decided to no longer have daily maid service. When I vacation I do NOT want to make my bed. I hope the upper management will rethink this.

Parking is $15.00 per day. This is pretty steep if you just look at the price per day for parking, but when you factor in that you can walk to everything in Lahaina it is well worth the cost.

Marie Glodt

Room Tip: The studio units are small. Pay the extra money and stay in a 1 bedroom even if there is just 2 of y...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Aloha marieglodt,

thank you for taking the time to post a pleasant review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and saw the value in the property.

oan@outrigger.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We wanted to take an extended honeymoon in May 2012 but didn't have the budget to stay at a 4-5 star hotel the entire time, so we decided to try out a condo. We were a little leery at first given the price of the Outrigger Aina Nalu was so much lower than its competitors. But fortunately we were wrong! The place was fantastic!

Our room was very clean and the decorations were simple but had the nice understated relaxing island motif. We did not run into any bed bugs or any type of bug problems. The room came with real appliances, (i.e. full-size stainless steel refrigerator, microwave, stove, full-size oven, in-room washer and dryer). We have easily saved hundreds of dollars during our stay by cooking our own food and being able to refrigerate leftovers.

The location of this property was also second to none. It's within a few minute walk to downtown Lahaina and only a few minute drive to Safeway, where we did our grocery shopping. The food in downtown Lahaina is over priced, especially Longhi's (more on that on the restaurant's dedicated review). There was also a local fruit stand about 5 blocks from the hotel on the main road. The fruit was delicious and very reasonably priced.

We spent most of our time at their pool, which was fantastic! They had grills all over the properties and people did their own grocery shopping and barbequed their own food. If you're looking for a place that's not uber fancy and just plainly want to enjoy the simple, relaxing island experience, this is the place.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the end of the property are bigger and quieter, although the property itself is in a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TammyG111
AinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Aloha TammyCGomez,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your honeymoon stay with us. And you have brought up some wonderful points about the property. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We booked our honeymoon stay through Costco for 6 nights. We didn't think the crazy expensive resorts seemed worth the money but we wanted to go to Maui. We read reviews before our travel and asked for our one bedroom suite to be booked in a second floor, pool view room that had been renovated. We got exactly what we asked for, plus a small bottle of champagne when we arrived.
We were booked to D209, which was in the back. The rooms were clean and decent sized - bedroom didn't have a lot of walking room but we used the living room for relaxing instead. The kitchen was very nice, had everything we needed and more. There were two nice new flat screen TV's. I didn't see one bug inside the room while we were there and we didn't come home with any bites. Since we had read reviews, we were aware that housekeeping wouldn't come during our stay. For someone who doesn't like people going through her things, even to clean, I was more than okay with that. Just meant it was more secluded for us. We washed our towels ourselves along with our clothes in the washer and dryer after taking them to beaches and using them at the pool. Once we needed more detergent, called the housekeeping line and within 5 minutes they knocked on our door with it. The only issue I had with the room was that the A/C was loud to turn on and would wake me if I wasn't fully asleep.
The salt water pool was amazing in the evening. It was warm and clean and hardly anyone else was in it. We didn't try the regular pool. My husband liked the hot tub. There were cabana things around the pool but we didn't try those either.
Near the salt water pool was a concierge booth. There was a representative from an activities company there all day long (which started our second day). She was very knowledgable and helped us book some excursions after a presentation. Some were good, some were bad. I would read reviews here before booking but she could answer all our questions. They have a "time share" promotion if you're eligible but we were too young to get the discounts. Either way, she didn't push it to anyone.
Parking was $15 a day but it was much easier than trying to find something on the road and with all the warnings about break-ins on Maui, I felt much more comfortable having our rental car at the hotel. There was always parking right at the steps. One thing that did annoy me was that we were left a note one day about not putting our parking pass on the dashboard even though they have it on file, however, the car that parked in the middle of two spots every day didn't ever get a note.
It was nice to be able to leave the car and walk into town to get breakfast/dinner, etc and it was a short drive to safeway. I just wish it was walking distance to a nice beach.
Granted, we're pretty easygoing people, but we really enjoyed our stay here. If we return to Maui, we will probably stay somewhere else, but only because I would rather stay closer to the nicer beaches.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kassmith
Aloha Kassmith,

Thank you for your review and thank you for sharing such an important occassion with us. I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. If you need any assistance in booking your next stay, please let me know.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I can't understand why this place is not ranked higher. It was reasonably priced. Lovely to have a kitchen, fully equipped with cooker, fridge freezer, blender, toaster, microwave, dishwasher. Every type of dish and possible utensil you could possible need. They must have been condo's at some point as you have a kitchen area, a living room. Balcony with chairs. Fantastic bathroom with step in shower. Washer and separate dryer. Really comfortable king bed. The rooms were great. The location is wonderful. We never took the car out in the evening you can just walk to all the bars and restaurants, even with heels on! The parking is excessive, Supermarkets are 5 minute drive away and there are 3 all close together. I loved this place so much I booked it for my mum and dad when they went earlier this year and they loved it to. When I stayed last year there was maid service each day. Don't stay in the studio they are really tiny and only really big enough for one person on their own, I don't think 2 people could fit in the bed.

Room Tip: Go to the Magic Show it was absolutely amazing.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank missyantha
AinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Aloha missyantha,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. It looks like you were able to put the condominium to good use during your stay. And we agree the location is fabulous for walking to nearby shopping and dining. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking another stay for yourself or your parents. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Upstate NY
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We actually traveled in Feb 2011 so this review is a little late. My traveling party consisted of 2 adults and 2 children ages 9 and 6. We had booked our stay at Aina Nalu for 4 nights. Upon check in, we were told that they were overbooked and our 2 bedroom, 1 bath was not available. However, they were very apologetic and worked hard to make it right for us. Since we just arrived after a 22 hour traveling day, and were exhausted, we just wanted a clean, safe place for the night. They set us up in a 1 bedroom, 1 bath for the night, free of charge. The next day we were moved to a 2 bedroom, 2 bath (an upgrade from our original reservation) near the pools and were also given free parking for our stay. I wasn't happy about the mix up but they went above and beyond to make it up to us, and we really appreciated it. The condo itself was spacious and clean. The kitchen was well stocked and we used it a lot for breakfast, lunch or snacks. The bathrooms, especially the showers, were large and the slate/stone construction was a nice touch. Having the washer and dryer was a huge plus, and allowed us to pack less clothing. The grills were great for a quick meal too. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained and the property never felt crowded. The location was perfect. It was in a quiet, residential area, and only a short walk to Front St. where you could eat, shop or watch the boats. The only down side was that it wasn't close to a beach. That said, we really like to explore and would usually pack up our little cooler purchased at Foodland, and head out to one of the south side beaches for the day. I would recommend Aina Nalu and am planning to stay there again in 2014.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle P
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We rented four rooms for ourselves and some family members for our week long wedding trip in March 2012. We we arrived March 7 things seemed pretty nice, the rooms we average and the grounds maintained. Day two we were informed there did not provide maid service, would have been good to know at time of booking or check in. Also when family arrived the room they were given had a none working lot, maintenance worked on the room more than three hours before providing a new room.

My husband to be and I stayed in room J203, on our day of check out(two days after our amazing wedding) we woke up covered in bites. Not knowing what these were I did some research at the airport and discovered the bites were bed bugs. I called the property as soon as I arrived home to report the issue to the manager. The property had a pest control company come out and confirmed our room was infested. We were referred to the risk management office who opened up an insurance claim for us with their insurance company. The company took the claim talked with the husband and then we waited. The insurance company will not return our calls and we have yet to be compensated. We had to throw out our luggage Nd treat our house.

Do not stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Toni F
Aloha Toni F,

Outrigger Aina Nalu is committed to providing exceptional hospitality to our guests and we deeply apologize that this situation was not immediately corrected. I have personally looked into this matter and to my understanding, it is being resolved. If you need any further assistance in this matter please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our family stayed here at the Outrigger Aina Nalu for five days. We enjoyed our stay because there was plenty of room for our two teenager boys. We rented the unit with two bedrooms and two bathrooms and a full kitchen. The grounds are kept beautiful with two nice pools and one hot tub. There are also bbq pits available for use and washer and dryers in the room. I would say the only downside is that they dont come and clean your room although they do leave enough supplies for your visit. Also, parking is a little high at $15 per day and since I was told the units are owned by different owners they may be a little different than what is advertised. Our unit did not have a kitchen table and the tv's were very small. We would definately stay here again but maybe request to be closer to the pool and two single beds instead of one full size for the boys. The couch did make into a bed but was very uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Maybe closer to the pools but not right next to the pool pump! Also, request two single beds instea...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kshelby123
Aloha kshelby123,

Thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay and are looking to come back and stay again. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.