“Great for Guests of a Destination Wedding”
Review of Aina Nalu

Aina Nalu
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
North Vancouver, Canada
“Great for Guests of a Destination Wedding”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Planning a wedding in Maui from Vancouver was not an easy feat! One of the best and easiest choices I made was choosing this hotel for myself and my groom, and any guests that cared to stay with us. Prior to this visit, we had already stayed at this hotel twice and wanted more....which has to say a lot. Approximately 30 people from our group were staying at this hotel for a couple of weeks around the wedding and everyone was impressed. Let me go over the ins and outs for you:

Hotel Grounds: Beautifully maintained, great pools, and Balinese style lounging huts everywhere. BBQs were great too, as most of us would meet around dinner time and eat around the pool area. BTW, there is a large cabana at the larger pool that can be rented out for $50-100 for an evening. This was great for the 'rehearsal dinner' as we had such a large group. The hotel staff were okay with open alcohol too.

Rooms: Everything you need in the kitchen, even though it might be small. Comfortable beds, which is needed after a long day of swimming/surfing. Washer and Dryer were great!!!! (My only complaint was that I rented our suite through Vacation Rental By Owner and he did not tell us that the dishwasher was not working, since you are renting directly through an owner, there is no housekeeping so we had to do all of our dishes, which really sucked around our wedding day. It would have been fine otherwise, as we paid $112 per night after taxes and everything for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom).

Location: Walking distance to many restaurants, bars, grocery stores, shops, great surfing etc... Not overly close to the great beaches, but only a 5 to 10 minute drive to some of the best. My Husband and I would usually make a lunch to go, drive to a nearby beach, then return in the late afternoon for a happy hour that we could walk to.

Overall, I knew before we left this would be the perfect place for us and our guests during our destination wedding, and it didn't disappoint. Expedia seems to be the cheapest if you want daily housekeeping, otherwise book through VRBO.com because you will get the cheapest rate by far. A couple of other guests booked that way and did not have any problems, it was only us with the broken-down dishwasher. But I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jhughes_mk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Hawaii
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We picked this place primarily from the other reviews. We were given a 1 bedroom condo, and we were quite impressed at the quality of it. Furniture was well appointed but the renovations done to the condo was gorgeous. Kitchen was fully stocked.

Price was great, but the only caveat is that the parking is $25 a day. While the location is a bit tucked away in Lahaina, it is a 5 minute walk to Front Street.

Room Tip: Government rate is sometimes just as good as "Local" Kama'aina rate.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank w204
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Typically, Susan and I stay at one of the bizillion beach front resorts with an ocean view. This trip we were going for 11 days and thought we would like to see what living in Lahaina might be like. So, I did a read so many TripAdvisor reviews that you wouldn't believe. Then, I landed on the Aina Nalu Resort in downtown Lahaina and walking distance to all of the restaurants, stores, markets, etc. So, I booked our stay at the Aina Nalu. I was in a little quandary because of some of the negative reviews, but let the much larger number of positive reviews help to make my decision.

We love it here. It is like living here rather being a tourist. All of the staff is very friendly. Unit K205 is warm, comfortable and cozy in a nice way. I phoned Aina Nalu ahead of time and made some requests all of which they met. I asked for a second floor unit away from the 2 lane highway going boy Lahaina. I also wanted the vaulted ceiling with skylights. I recommend that you always phone ahead and let the resort know your preferences. When ever possible they always seem willing to accommodate you.

Our condo had airconditioning in all of the living areas as well as ceiling fans. However, by opening a few louvered windows, We were able to appreciate a lovely tropical breeze as well as listening to the sounds of the local birds in the morning. And, no, they were not roosters as one reviewer complained. This is an older, well maintained and updated resort.

Come enjoy Maui as a resident rather than a tourist and enjoy your stay at the Ainu Nalu in downtown Lahaina. It is all a matter of your attitude when you travel anywhere.

I also recommend that you travel to Hawaii between December 5th and depart no later than December 25th. You will get a better deal on everything and deal less with people.

Room Tip: Call the resort ahead of time and become as friendly as you can with the front desk. Always get the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tjomsland
Battle Ground, Washington
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed in room 206B at the Ainu Nalu in mid November 2011. We had been enticed to this property by its partnership with Hawaiian Airlines.

After reading reviews here, we were looking forward to relaxing in a similar comfort to other hotels in the same price range we had stayed at on other Hawaiian islands.

In most ways, we were very disappointed. The room was tiny, and there was no lanai.
The bed was very uncomfortable, and there were only two spartan style chairs and a small dining table to relax at. The "Garden View" room overlooked a large parking lot.

To be fair, the kitchen facility was adequate and the bathroom was fine. We also enjoyed
the salt water pool an the recliners there. We expected the parking fee, so were not surprised by that. The location was excellent if you want to be within easy walking distance of all things Lahaina.

We tried to upgrade, but were not able to; consequently, we spent as little time in the room as possible.

We would not stay at this property again.

RCF, Battle Ground, Washington

Room Tip: The one bedrooms looked like a much better value for the money
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rcftommay
Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This hotel/resort/condo reminded me a lot of the hotels/resorts in Bali (as in layout, not facility wise). We spent 4 nights here and really loved this area! The gardens were lovely and very well kept and depending on how far back your room is it may be a little walk (eg a few mins if even that) We had the studio apartment on the ground floor, it was kind of small if you are staying for 4/5days this size is great, any longer though and you may want to consider staying in a bigger room. There is a cord in the room for free internet to laptops otherwise free wifi at the pool area. Very close to front street and plenty of restaurants all within walking distance. Also close-ish to one of the bus stops. If you want to base yourself in Lahaina you wont need a car this hotel is close to everything, you can also catch the bus around maui althought bus runs only every hour, so if you miss it (like what we did!!!) then its either a long wait or a taxi ride back. You can also walk to the Old Lahaina Luau around 20mins or take a taxi which was around $7. Staff at the hotel were very helpful and friendly big thankyou to Lala who helped us when our transfer VIPtrans did not show up on time and were 45min late (i will be posting a review about this company we were very disappointed with their service they didn't pick us up at the airport and were 45mins late picking us up at the hotel going back to the airport!)

Some things that annoyed me about the room was there seemed to be a fault with the electricity while watching tv it often just turned off and we couldn't turn it back on, we also couldnt use electricity in the bathroom. This wasn't a huge deal for us, just a bit of a hassle. We also could never shut our blinds at night. They just wouldnt move so we spent our whole stay there with the blinds up...... hahahah

If i did go back to Maui then i would spend maybe 2nights in Lahaina then spend time in another area of Maui. I wouldnt mind though next time checking out the Lahaina Shores which was more of a hotel and less of a resort, probably better suited to our needs. The Outrigger was good but we didnt use any of the facilities they offered. We didnt use our kitchenette, we didnt use the pool there etc. So instead of staying at a resort next time id probably check out a hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank sl1910
Victorville, California
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Rented a 2/2 unit for a stay between November 14-23 and was happy with my stay. Be aware that these units are not owned by outrigger but rather they just manage the units for the majority of the owners. The unit I stayed in was managed directly by the owner not outrigger. Search vrbo to see if you can swing some savings by renting directly from an owner, as my rate was 30% cheaper than renting through outrigger. Units are nice, pool area is great for anyone traveling with kids, grills are nice webber units that they keep very clean, location is about a 5-7 minute stroll to middle of front street where all the lahaina action is at. You need to decide if parking by the unit is important to you as they charge $15 a day for the privilege of using their asphalt, otherwise street parking is free but you'll have to parallel park and then walk to your unit ( depending on unit location maybe 1-3 minute walk). Overall great place to lay your head on Maui without breaking the bank. Enjoy Maui!

• Stayed November 2011
7 Thank tru2logan
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed at the Aina Nalu Nov 13 - 21 with a group and all of our rooms were great. The complex is nice and modern and there is a lot of room. I noticed some rooms have better TVs than others, some have 50" flat screens while others have 32" screens. The only thing I didn't like is the $15 a day parking fee for the resort but all things considered, I know I'll be back. Our two bedroom two bathroom unit was amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the new TVs added. Some ground level units have great access to the saltwater p...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family