“Very good value!”

Royal Kahana
MadisonWI
“Very good value!”
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I booked 3 weeks ahead of my 9 day visit thru my travel agent and was very pleased with my stay. This is not a 5 star place, it is a 3 star place with 5 star view. I did not have any mold or bug problems like some of the previous readers did. My room was very clean and nice. I traveled alone and was a little bit nervous because I went for economy, reserved a studio but was pleasantly surprised. The view was outstanding! I had room 1102 which had a view of Molokai and it was so beautiful watching the weather change daily over Molokai. The studio was not as well furnished in the kitchen as the condos I read about in previous reviews. There were no condiments in the refrigerator, it was completely bare. There was salt & pepper and lots of paper towels, but no plastic wrap and no aluminum foil. Also no storage containers for leftover food. I ate almost all my meals in the room so I stored things in pots and pans and in the one casserole dish in the refrigerator. I would have liked a frying pan but that was the only other thing missing. There is a clothes line in the tub which came in handy. As my clothes got dirty, I just put them in the washing machine till I had enough for a load. They sell extra laundry soap across the street at the Whalers General Store for .89 if you need more. This store has everything you need to start out your groceries before you go to a grocery store. Plenty of grocery stores near by, Star Market in Kaanapali, Safeway and Food Land in Lahaina. Both stores in Lahaina gave me a discount card which saved alot. There was plenty of toilet paper and kleenix. I had the sliding door open all the time I was there including at night, could hear the waves, and with the bathroom windows open abit, it was always very comfortable. There was a ceiling fan in the room also. It was also very quiet. The only time I heard my neighbors was when we were both in our bathrooms and had our windows open. I could hear the couple next door very clearly. The pool is small but the water is nice and warm, There are always plenty of chairs available around the pool and on the grass facing the ocean. Snorkling was abit boring here, but is great at most of the other beaches. I had a small economy car and did not have any problems pulling into the parking stalls, also, there were always plenty available, maybe I was there at a slower time. This was my 3rd trip to Maui so I did not use the travel center in the lobby. I did book a snorkling trip to Molokini thru Maui Divers (across the street in strip mall). Not many fish and the crew on the boat was not helpful when people were trying to get back on the boat. My big mistake was taking a road I was unfamiliar with. It goes along the ocean on the northwestern most tip of Maui. I don't remember the hwy number, but it starts out as a state hwy and shortly after it ends it is one lane most of the way on a very curvey road. It makes the road to Hana seem like a cake walk.
I am already planning a trip back to Maui and I will stay at the Royal Kahana. The only thing missing is a hot tub. This would be a very nice addition. Aloha!

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank KimLMadisonWI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
San Jose California
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We loved our oceanfront view in room 311!!!!! The wraparound lanai was fabulous. Everything about our stay was wonderful. We booked through [--]

• Liked — Oceanfront to a nice sandy beach
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Threekidfamily
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Reviewed May 30, 2007

Very nice people at the front desk, especially "Tim". Was upgraded to an oceanview free of charge. This hotel/condos was very clean, quiet and comfortable. I have nothing but good things to report. We had the best time. Our room was cleaned to perfection daily and they even washed a couple glasses we had left in the sink. We would definitely stay here again. The price is good for Maui where almost everything is expensive. But wow, what a view from our balcony, unfortunatly we missed Whale season but I am told that you can see them right from your room. You won't be disappointed by staying here unless you are used to only staying at places like the Ritz or the Hyatt.

• Liked — llocation
  • Disliked — the beach is small
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank possemom
orange county
Reviewed May 25, 2007

we just returned from our trip to Maui. We absolutely loved our room at the Royal Kahana. We stayed in Unit 510 which is a 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath oceanfront condo. The view from the Lanai is great especially for the Maui sunsets. The condo was nicely decorated and well kept. We have stayed at the Royal Kahana before in another oceanfront unit. We prefer the oceanfront units to the other units. If you plan to stay at the Royal Kahana, the oceanfront units are the way to go. Aloha!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank MauiOrangeCounty
British Columbia
Reviewed May 2, 2007

wonderful place - we booked a studio and were upgraded to a one bedroom. Had a view of the oean and gardens - so peaceful.
Went to sleep with the ocean breezes and sound of waves...
short drive to Kanaapali beaches -
would certainly stay there again.

4 Thank nulife
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Outrigger Royal Kahana. After reading reviews I was pleasantly surprised at how my view differed from many. I have nothing but good things to say about the place. We had an ocean view a bit back from the ocean, but still a beautiful view. Very clean and spacious. Nicely furnished. Friendly staff. My 2 year old son learned to say "Aloha" from the cleaning staff. I would stay there again without question. Especially now as snow is drifting past my window back home!!

Sarah
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

• Liked — clean place and friendly staff and of course beside the beach
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank smonkpaes
austin
Reviewed March 19, 2007

There is nothing like a week in Maui to make you look at the world in a new way. This was a return trip so I knew what the hotel was like, yet the first hours there I was noticing that the unit had cracks in the walls and ceiling and badly need a paint job, because of the U shape of the hotel, the first morning I was disturbed by the echoing sounds of cars, people, garbage trucks. My kids had to take the matress off the hide-a-bed and sleep on the floor as it was so thin and uncomfortable. But after a full day of relaxing in MAUI, all I could see was how happy I was to be there. We enjoyed cooking dinner on the gas grill on property (three are available) and eating dinner on our balcony overlooking the beautful sunset, watching the whales, listening to the waves as we fell asleep. The "pool boy" kept the pool spotless, washed the deck and chairs every morning. The exercize room had a variety of machines, all working, water to drink and a fan. There was coffee available that we grabbed every morning for our walk on the beach. We could walk to the convience store, to rent snorkle equipment or to eat dinner at Roy's (highly recommed). Although parking spots are little we could always find one, either outside or in the basement and there is no fee to park that so many other places charge. The pool house is a nice place to get protection from a passing rain storm, we saw a group that was traveling together eat there every night with each family bringing a portion of the meal-great place for a family reunion. The front desk was helpful with information and guidance. We thouroughly enjoyed our week there and hated to leave. But it is not for everyone. Although it was just what we were looking for( peace and quite) I heard some young couples complaining that there was no "nightlife", bar atmosphere or dancing into the wee hours of the morning. Also the "maid service" consisted of new towels but no other cleaning several days during the week-but hey sand on the floor when you are in MAUI- who cares?

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — needed paint job in our unit
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank kariesue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
The Kapalua Villas, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Royal Kahana? Share your experiences!