“perfect sunsets”

Ranked #12 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
orange county
“perfect sunsets”
Reviewed May 25, 2007

we just returned from our trip to Maui. We absolutely loved our room at the Royal Kahana. We stayed in Unit 510 which is a 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath oceanfront condo. The view from the Lanai is great especially for the Maui sunsets. The condo was nicely decorated and well kept. We have stayed at the Royal Kahana before in another oceanfront unit. We prefer the oceanfront units to the other units. If you plan to stay at the Royal Kahana, the oceanfront units are the way to go. Aloha!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank MauiOrangeCounty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
British Columbia
Reviewed May 2, 2007

wonderful place - we booked a studio and were upgraded to a one bedroom. Had a view of the oean and gardens - so peaceful.
Went to sleep with the ocean breezes and sound of waves...
short drive to Kanaapali beaches -
would certainly stay there again.

4 Thank nulife
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Outrigger Royal Kahana. After reading reviews I was pleasantly surprised at how my view differed from many. I have nothing but good things to say about the place. We had an ocean view a bit back from the ocean, but still a beautiful view. Very clean and spacious. Nicely furnished. Friendly staff. My 2 year old son learned to say "Aloha" from the cleaning staff. I would stay there again without question. Especially now as snow is drifting past my window back home!!

Sarah
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

• Liked — clean place and friendly staff and of course beside the beach
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank smonkpaes
austin
Reviewed March 19, 2007

There is nothing like a week in Maui to make you look at the world in a new way. This was a return trip so I knew what the hotel was like, yet the first hours there I was noticing that the unit had cracks in the walls and ceiling and badly need a paint job, because of the U shape of the hotel, the first morning I was disturbed by the echoing sounds of cars, people, garbage trucks. My kids had to take the matress off the hide-a-bed and sleep on the floor as it was so thin and uncomfortable. But after a full day of relaxing in MAUI, all I could see was how happy I was to be there. We enjoyed cooking dinner on the gas grill on property (three are available) and eating dinner on our balcony overlooking the beautful sunset, watching the whales, listening to the waves as we fell asleep. The "pool boy" kept the pool spotless, washed the deck and chairs every morning. The exercize room had a variety of machines, all working, water to drink and a fan. There was coffee available that we grabbed every morning for our walk on the beach. We could walk to the convience store, to rent snorkle equipment or to eat dinner at Roy's (highly recommed). Although parking spots are little we could always find one, either outside or in the basement and there is no fee to park that so many other places charge. The pool house is a nice place to get protection from a passing rain storm, we saw a group that was traveling together eat there every night with each family bringing a portion of the meal-great place for a family reunion. The front desk was helpful with information and guidance. We thouroughly enjoyed our week there and hated to leave. But it is not for everyone. Although it was just what we were looking for( peace and quite) I heard some young couples complaining that there was no "nightlife", bar atmosphere or dancing into the wee hours of the morning. Also the "maid service" consisted of new towels but no other cleaning several days during the week-but hey sand on the floor when you are in MAUI- who cares?

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — needed paint job in our unit
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank kariesue
Georgia
Reviewed March 16, 2007

This was our first trip to Maui. I must say, I was a bit hesitant about the Royal Kahana after reading some of the reviews on here, but it exceeded our expectations! I guess it's just personal preference. Yes, the hotel is a bit older and probably could stand to have some renovations, but I noticed that with other hotels in the area also. Our room (room 810) was very nice. It was a 2 bedroom/2 1/2 bath ocean front. We were on the 11th floor and the view was spectacular! To sit on the lanai and watch the whales every afternoon was something else! The hotel staff were very nice. There wasn't much of a beach, but it wasn't bad. The whole experience was great, especially thanks to our friends that went with us and were our "tour guides", since they had been to Maui a few times.... :-)

• Liked — View, Location
  • Disliked — They were painting the elevator doors while we were there...
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
9 Thank Georgia-Peach61
Georgia
Reviewed March 12, 2007

My husband and I have been to Maui 3 times and this was the first time our friends went with us. We wanted an Ocean Front condo and this place exceeded our expections. The view from 810 was fantastic. The hotel is a bit older, but the amenities were just fine. Even some of the pricier places will show the wear and tear after a few years. We had a 2 Bedroom,2 1/2 bath suite. Hotel staff was great even though they were doing some painting in the elevator bays while we were there. The only improvement that we could recommend would be to angle the parking lot. It is really difficult to pull into the spots in front of the hotel when the lot is mostly full. Spaces are narrow.
Great trip would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Parking lot
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
9 Thank harrisk
sydney Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I booked this hotel after reading tripadvisor and I counldn't have been happier. Maui is expensive and this offered great value. The staff were very friendly, the room very comfortable and we had a lovely view from our balcony. I loved the location. It was quiet and of the way away from the big resorts. There were fab shops across the road including convienience store (to get food/ beer etc), I reccomend the outback steakhouse (not cause im an aussie-Its not really aussie food believe me) But fantastic steak. You could also get take away pizza- lots of options.
The best part the bus that stops at the shops. For $2 and a 10min ride you can travel up to napali bay - which is beautiful and perfect for families or down to kannapali. Buses run frequently. at kannapali you can get a free shuttle further south to lahina.
The beach out the front of the hotel is not great for swimming but with so many options close by we were happy to just use the pool
I also recommend snokelling at black rock kannapali it was the best

• Liked — location and rooms
  • Disliked — beach outfront- too many currents to swim safely
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple