“Great Experience at Royal Kahana” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Kahana

Royal Kahana
Ranked #12 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Vancouver
“Great Experience at Royal Kahana”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2006

We had a wonderful time at the Royal Kahana. We booked directly with the owner so we knew which condo we were staying in and what it looked like. This condo was completely remodelled with nothing spared, I would say the decor, appliances rival any 5 star resort. The owner was accommodating and the resort staff were friendly and helpful. There was air conditioning but we had it on low as the breeze was enough for us. Trust me, I am someone who could have the air conditioning on all year round. We were a party of 4 adults and 2 small children, we were very comfortable. I agree the property is dated but I think that it's unfair to give the entire resort a negative review when it's really certain individual units that are subpar. The pool was big, never crowded. It was heated and I didn't feel it was too hot, it was great for the kids. I would definitely return to the Royal Kahana and to the suite we were in. If anyone wants pictures or has questions I would be happy to email.

• Liked — Beautifully, extensively remodelled.
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — Book direct with owner
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
16 Thank westcoastmama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Northeast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2006

Property needs a renovation:
- Air conditioning could barely keep the rooms cool
- Carpets worn
- Elevators dirty
- Rust in many locations within the condo unit

Be careful of "Ocean View" description
- Yes, you can see the ocean, but in many units, you mostly see another nearby condo building

On the positive side:
- The check-in staff was friendly
- The 2 bedroom condo was spacious

Stayed August 2006
11 Thank MoreVacationsPlease
Orange County
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2006

This was my second time at The Royal Kahana, August 2006. This stay started off in unit 1001, which is considered a two bedroom, two-bath ocean view room. DO NOT RENT THIS UNIT until it is updated or remodeled. It is a step below a Motel 6. I think the towels were extra large dishtowels.

I wouldn’t even was my dog in the master bath. Two holes in the bathtub along with large cracks that were rusted and a showerhead that was full of mildew. The bathroom sink had a large rust ring around the cold-water handle. Along with that, the king bed was so uncomfortable; there was no way to get a good night sleep. The kitchen was a walk in pantry and I could touch both walls with my arms reached out at the same time. The washer handle was broken off and you had to have super human strength to open the sliding doors on all the closets. The sofa and carpet were damp and the room smelled like a gym locker. I think you get the picture.

How a name like Outrigger can associate and rent out this unit is beyond me. As we told the manager of Royal Kahana, don’t rent the unit and the owner will be forced to fix the problems. We were finally able to move to another room 220 which was a garden view room. So much for my ocean. This move was equal to a Holiday Inn. At least it was clean and felt much more comfortable. Outdated TV in the master bedroom. Still not up to my experience of the first time I stayed at this property.

The first time at this property was in unit 110, which is the only unit I would stay in. All the modern comforts of home, well furnished and appointed. Clean and upscale. Excellent beds, TVs and great kitchen.

If you are going with families, the property itself is average and works well with children/teenagers. The pool is not crowded and the beach works even as small as it is. It is an easy drive to the other west areas of Maui.

I doubt I’ll stay there again. This experience really did put a damper on our trip and we did not get fully settled into the new room until our 3rd day. Trying to move 2 adults and 3 teenagers along with the food we purchased is not an easy task.

Our friends were at the Westin Villas, which were lovely. I’ve also stayed at the Hyatt Regency. Resort over condo…hmmmmmm! Not a hard choice if I had to pick this property again.

As far as activities, the Old Lahaina Luau is the best. Also the full day hike by Hike Maui was wonderful. Our guide Helga was full of great facts about Maui and extremely knowledgeable. Pacific O is great for dinner and very romantic. We walked to the Ritz Carlton for breakfast. Worth the 8 mile roundtrip walk. We purchased our fruit at the Famer’s Market, it was fresh and worth the extra money. I prefer shopping a the Safeway in Lahaina versus the Star Market. Costco by the airport is always good.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staying
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at a 4 star or better location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank charonthego
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2006

A group of us booked four 2-bedroom oceanview condos at this hotel and each one of us loved our rooms! It was so nice having our own fully equipped kitchen and a washer and dryer to wash sand out of our suits. The only negative thing I would have to mention is that if your room is below the 9th floor, you won't have the best view of the ocean. We had a room on the 4th floor, the 7th floor, 10th floor and the 11th floor. The 4th floor barely had a view and the 7th floor wasn't much bettter. However the rooms on the 10th and 11th floor were beautiful! You have to look off to the side to see the ocean but it was still nice. The location was perfect. The hotel is right on the beach so you just walk straight out of the lobby and turn and your right on the beach. Staff was nice and maid service was a nice bonus. Would reccomend this hotel to families.

5 Thank Cinnie02
Castro Valley, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2006

My hubby and I stayed at the Royal Kahana 7/31-8/05/06. We were celebrating our 23rd wedding anniversary and it was just the two of us. We had studio unit 305. It had an ocean view! It had everything we needed! What was great was that we could go down to the pool mid afternoon and find 2 lounge chairs with no problem, unlike alot of the large hotels, where people put towels on chairs at 7 AM to reserve them. We really enjoyed laying on the chaise lounges on the grass right by the beach. It was nice and quiet. Go to the market up the road toward Napili to stock up the fridge. There is shuffleboard and ping pong available around the pool area, another great surprise. Our unit had a washer/dryer too. I would love to stay in a 2 bedroom next time when we bring our kids.

We'll definately be back!!!!

• Liked — Location, quiet, pool area, beach area
  • Disliked — Pool got too warm on several days.
  • Tips/Secrets — Great place!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Maui4EverWoman
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2006

The Royal Kahana was the perfect place for us to spend our honeymoon in - away from all the crowds at Kaanapali, yet close enough (5 miles) to Lahaina, where we ate fabulous dinners every night. The Royal Kahana is not a deluxe hotel, it is a clean, quiet, family-oriented beachfront condo / hotel, so if you are expecting otherwise, you should investigate staying in Kaanapali's resort hotels or in Kihei / Wailea. For our money, it was fabulous - room 402 has a breathtaking view of the ocean and the island of Molokai from the private lanai, which also overlooks the landscaped courtyard. The pool is very nice with plenty of chairs, and the hotel staff were great and very helpful. We liked having a washer/dryer in the room, and the small kitchenette helped us save tons of money on breakfast / lunches. Daily maid service is a huge plus - they even did our dishes! We would absolutely recommend the Royal Kahana to anyone looking for a relaxing, clean, budget-friendly place to stay on the beautiful westside of Maui - we will be back very soon!!
P.S. Get up early and take the road to Hana - Wainapanapa's black sand beaches are a must-see. Also, the Old Lahaina Luau is the best on the island, backdropped by gorgeous sunsets over the ocean. And, last but not least, splurge for dinner at Pacific'o - the best meal we have ever had, hands down. Hope this review is helpful to you! Aloha!
Janda & Christian, Los Angeles

36 Thank Janda B
Shawnee Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

We visited the Royal Kahana week of 5/20 - 5/28 - it was wonderful! We had a condo on the 11th floor and the view was spectacular - wasn't sure what to expect as we hadn't ever rented a condo before - the rooms were large and well appointed. The king bed was firm and the kitchen was stocked with everything we needed. It wasn't the fanciest place you've ever seen but it was clean and quiet. Glad we didn't pay big bucks for someplace we weren't in that much. The Molokini snorkel & Hana trip were highlights. Roy's is great as usual (this is our 5th trip to the islands) and we found Dollies for sandwiches and pizza. Would stay there again if we go back to Maui - K.C.

18 Thank ShawneeKansasGinger