“18th birthday, and Graduation celebration”
Review of Royal Kahana

Royal Kahana
Ranked #12 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Tumwater, Washington, United States
“18th birthday, and Graduation celebration”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. We arrived very late, 12:30am Hawaii time. After speaking with front desk lady, she upgraded us to Ocean view room for our special celebration in Hawaii. She was fantastic! Our room was beautiful! Clean, and we could watch the ocean from the bed! We had a studio suite. They allowed free wifi in the lobby, so we just went there to play on our devices! We had a kitchen with what appeared to be new appliances, dishes, everything we needed. We were on the 11th floor. Absolutely fabulously super happy with our experience. It was just me and my daughter and we enjoyed all activities such as parasailing, ATV in jungle, luau, beach, shopping in Lahaina, shaved ice, grocery store near by. (two of them) which we felt were not over priced for Hawaii. Walgren's, for sand shoes.( Paid 5 bucks!) We had a rental car, which I recommend! Parking on site no problem. And Free!

Room Tip: Right on the beach! Go high up on floors. And be nice to staff. They were wonderful!
2 Thank Kari R
OutriggerRoyal K, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Kahana, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Aloha Kari R,

thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for spending such special occasion with us. It looks like you had a great trip and were able to do quite a few activities.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

rkr@outrigger.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Was there with my husband and 4 kids four a week in three rooms. Yes it is an older hotel, but the rooms/kitchenettes were well equipped, the bed was comfortable, the parking was easy and grounds were lovely. Best part about the place was the awesome view from our room. It wasn't oceanfront, but our ocean view was perfect. The worst was the service. Only one of our three rooms was cleaned once during the week, which is typical of a condo. But what about the other 2 rooms? The washing machine in one of the other rooms overflowed and they never came to fix it nor replace the towels we had to use to clean up the mess! Then they had the nerve to charge us $78 per room for a cleaning fee after we left. That has never happened to us before and it really irritated me. I'd rather pay more for the rooms than get charged a cleaning fee! It's enough to make me not want to go back which is too bad.

4 Thank pace0
OutriggerRoyal K, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Kahana, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Aloha pace0,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay for the most part. I would appreciate it if you are able to contact me in regard to your stay. Generally when a washing machine overflows we would move a guest to another unit as we would need to clean the unit and maintenance would have to check on the machine. Since it sounds like neither was done, I would like more information on when you stayed to see if there was some type of miscommunication.

For the check out cleaning cost, I apologize you were not aware of this charge ahead of time. Please be aware that the check out cleaning cost is the same charge whether you stay for 2 nights or 20. For the housekeeping clean during your stay, we do clean each of the units once for guests staying 7 nights or more. Possible reasons those units were not cleaned is they were for less than 7 nights or there were "Do Not Disturb" signs on the door.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience as I would like to follow up with management on these issues. We hope you will reconsider staying at the property again.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Quick synopsis: Wasn’t sure this place would work out for us after reading some of the reviews, but was very happy with the property, amenities and staff, with the exception of the front desk employees. We were checked in by a friendly gentleman, however, the other front desk employees were unfavorable. Luckily I didn’t have to deal with them much. And Room #211 ROCKS if your budget allows! We plan on coming back to the Royal Kahana in the future!

Now for my more detailed review: I had done plenty of investigating into the Outriggers Royal Kahana site after my step mother booked herself a room here for our shared vacation. In reading many reviews (mostly on TripAdvisor), I found out there was no need to upgrade to an oceanfront room, because the ocean view rooms were plenty nice enough. But you did want to try and get up as high as you could, because the higher, the better the view, right? I also knew we wanted a two bedroom as privacy was desired by both my husband and I, as well as my two preteen daughters. I also learned which units to stay away from (thank you to those reviewers that called specific units out!). When we arrived onsite we were pleasantly surprised we were upgraded to an oceanfront unit on the 2nd floor, however, I wasn’t fully expecting what we got! We opened the double doors to Unit #211 and were blown away! A very spacious two bedroom with each bedroom having its own full bath and a ½ bathroom for guest in the main area. Plenty of towels provided for both bathing and the pool. There was a master bedroom with a king sized bed. The second bedroom had two twin beds. It was a corner unit with a balcony (lanai) that wrapped almost the entire space. We overlooked the pool area as well as the beach. There was a very nice full kitchen with granite counters and all the desired appliances (including a dishwasher and a fridge with an ice maker). Right off the kitchen was also a stacked washer and dryer. Detergent, fabric softener, dish soap, etc was all provided. Both bedrooms and living room were provided with large flat screen TV’s and the living room even had a little stereo that we utilized most of our stay there. If we weren’t listening to the waves of the ocean, we were listening to the reggae station. The space allowed for a very nice space to host nice sized gatherings with my family and friends from the island. The space was overall amazing and the view even better! There was an issue with the air conditioning that could not be resolved for about a 24-hour period, but we opened the doors to the lanai and our entry door and that created a nice cross wind. Would highly recommend the room if you have the budget for it (per the website, it runs about $450/night. We paid for a cheaper room through our vacation package ahead of time, so we didn’t pay that price). Last thing to note about the room. We got charged a $115 cleaning fee once we checked out. There is no free housekeeping service during your stay.

The pool and BBQ area next to the pool were really nice! Was nice to cook dinner on the BBQ while the kids swam. There are tennis courts, but we didn’t utilized them. Parking lot is a little small and the parking stalls tight, but we had a smaller car so we were able to finagle our way into a spot each night.

There is a gas station close by and a few restaurants in the area, but we usually went out to eat in Lahaina (10 min drive south).

Room Tip: If you have a older children you may want to get a corner room that faces the pool and the ocean so...
3 Thank TKColeman
Aloha TKColeman,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and our Front Desk staff was able to upgrade you to an ocean front unit. You have provided some good information for future guests. Although we do not offer fabric softener, our units are equipped with the other amenities you mentioned.

I do apologize but I'm not sure where you saw the $450/night rate for the 2 bedroom Ocean Front. Provided guests book their stays well ahead of time they are able to find some surprisingly affordable rates for these units.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pool and BBQ areas. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights on the 8th floor in an ocean view room and were really happy. The 2 bedroom place on the corner (I think it was 801) was big and spacious, had 2 TV's and a DVD player (there is a Red Box over the road). Although we didn't spend too much time in our room, it had everything we needed.
We did the intro session on our first morning and Rebekah was awesome! She was very informative and helped us get around and the snorkeling trip on the Quicksilver - which I highly recommend!
The room was pretty dated... In fact, very dated and the shower was terrible.... But like I said before, it was still good.
Even though it was peak season, it never seemed crowded which was great.
The staff were helpful and friendly, but here is a few things I think they should change:
*. $40 for fresh towels!! They should have a towel swap.
*. Internet should be available in rooms without having to pay $10 per day.
*. More food options, like hot chips or hot dogs available by the pool.

Overall we were very happy and would recommend this place to others.

P.S: drive the road to Hana, then keep driving past Hana and come back on the other route. Totally worth it!!! :)

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank AllySummer
OutriggerRoyal K, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Kahana, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Aloha AllySummer,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The tip about the Red Box kiosk across the street (in the Whalers General Store) is very helpful for other guests. I will be sure to pass along your comments about the shower to the proper management.

In regard to the towel change fee, there is a washer and dryer in each of the units and guests are encouraged to wash their own towels as often as they see fit. However if guests are not interested in doing their own laundry, that is where the fee comes in.

I will also pass along your comments about the hot dogs and chips (fries) to the person who runs the snack shop.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us. We hope you will come back again very soon.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 28, 2014

My family stayed here for 4 days on our 1st trip to Maui. Located about 30-40 minutes from the airport in Lahaina. It is an older looking hotel/condos but has great amenities. The room we had had a well stocked kitchen for cooking meals and a washer/dryer combo. We were on the 10th floor with an ocean view and was able to see a pod of whales swim by one day. There is a good size pool with 3 BBQ grills available for use by hotel guests. There is beach access but not much sand between hotel and surf to be able to lie on the beach. The front desk staff was courteous, especially TIm.

Room Tip: I would chose the ocean view.
2 Thank Atepower32
Aloha Atepower32,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I'm so pleased the unit exceeded your expectations of the property. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the property and will be sure to pass along your comments about Tim to management.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking a future stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for 2 Nights only due to the rudeness of the receptionist and the Manager and not getting any help from anyone. I WOULD not recommend anyone stay here at any time,it is dirty and the rooms do not look like what they are in the photos the rooms are dated with ugly Cane furniture which is a off white colour and does not suit the experience you are after there are no tennis court as they show you in the photos,Don't get taken in by the photos.The receptionist was not a very well dressed person with Broken glasses also banging the door card on the counter waiting for our pin number and never said Aloha or welcome at all when checking out there was another couple waiting for 10 mins at the front counter for service and I went and knocked on the managers office door to see what was going on and he walked to the office where the receptionist was and she was on her iPad not wanting to serve anyone Bloody disgusting!!!!!!!! should be sacked .

Room Tip: Good view from the top units on the beach side
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kiwi1980273
OutriggerRoyal K, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Kahana, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Aloha Kiwi1980273,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize you did not enjoy your stay at the property. Please contact me directly in regard to your stay as we would like to investigate this situation further.

In regard to the tennis court, it is still there located across the parking lot from the main entrance. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Lone Oak
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Kahana July 10 - 15, 2014. We were located on 5th floor, with an ocean view (I paid the extra 10 bucks a night for ocean view vs garden view). Probably would have had an ocean view anyway, because of the layout of the hotel. It was great having the washer/dryer in the unit (detergent available for $1.00 at desk for two loads). There were adequate kitchen supplies/utensils, and the full size fridge was great. We took large size baggies and were able to make our our ice, which helped on convenience for us. The ONLY negative thing about this hotel, is there is not much beach directly on this property, especially during high tide. But there are so many great beaches in the area, we weren't planning on staying on the beach much at our hotel anyway. It was also nice being able to purchase shaved ice by the pool! I would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: spend the extra 10 bucks a night for ocean view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SusanLoneOak
Aloha SusanLoneOak,

thank you for taking the time to post such a complementary review. I am very glad you were able to find everything you needed for this trip. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.