“First trip to Maui, loved the service we recieved.”
Review of Royal Kahana

Royal Kahana
Edmonton, Canada
“First trip to Maui, loved the service we recieved.”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We have never been to Maui before & at the last moment decided to go but really didn't know what to expect or how to go about renting a condo. Naomi from Maui Hawaii Vacations was absolutely wonderful in finding us a place and making the trip worry free. We stayed in room 120
overlooking the garden & loved it, you could still see the ocean from our balcony, could use a little shampooing on the furniture but otherwise quite comfortable & had everything in there we needed. The staff at the Royal Kahana were very helpful & pleasant, definitely stay there again. We have already given Naomi's name & contact # to our friends, would highly recommend her, thanks so much for a wonderful vacation.
Patti

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Patti H
OutriggerRoyal K, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Kahana, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Aloha Patti H,

thank you for posting a review. I'm glad you enjoyed your first trip to Maui.

rkr@outrigger.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was our first trip to Maui and we booked the Royal Kahana because we wanted to be on the ocean. Although we got there late and did not like our first studio condo, the staff were quick to let us look at another condo on the 9th floor, which we liked and settled into. There is everything you need to be comfortable. The view was partial ocean, but it was spectacular, we loved to sit on the balcony, have breakfast and whale watch. We stayed for 10 days and thoroughly enjoyed the peace and quiet of the Royal Kahana. There are some restaurants within walking distance and so many things within a short drive. You need a car on Maui. The property is older, but the common areas are kept spotless and beautiful. You see people cleaning the grounds and pool every morning. We would love to go back to the Royal Kahana and it would be our first choice when we return to Maui!!!! Being able to cook some meals and do laundry in your own space is wonderful! Mahalo Royal Kahana

Room Tip: We had a nice view from our room. It is an ocean view studio!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kaymin154954
Aloha kaymin154954,

thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review. I'm pleased our staff was able to find accommodations you preferred as 10 days is a long stay. I will be sure to let management know.

Please let me know if you need assistance in booking your next stay with us. We hope you will visit again soon.

Irvine, California
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights during our visit to Maui. The 5th night we spent in Hana town. We opted for a studio ocean view room. We got a room on the 7th floor. Although the room was not directly facing the ocean (those are priced much higher), it had a pretty good view of the ocean from the balcony. We had multiple whale sightings from the balcony during our stay. Some guests said they even saw turtles near the shores of the hotel, but I guess we missed that. The room was pretty spacious and had a full kitchen. Although we didn't quite make full use of it, it certainly is a good option to have especially if you are on a budget. Room also has a washer and dryer, but doesn't have daily housekeeping included. That can be arranged for a fee. There aren't many restaurants around Kahana. If you want a wide range of options, you have to drive around 10 minutes to Lahaina Main Street. We opted for a somewhat "budget" stay in this hotel during our 4 days here as we had our itineraries packed with outdoor activities and spent relatively less time in the room itself. With hindsight, that certainly was the right decision. Was a great start to our Hawaii vacation!

Room Tip: Higher the floor and closer to the center of the hotel, better the ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheBlindSniper
Aloha TheBlindSniper,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm glad you enjoyed your view and got to see whales from the unit. And yes there are sometimes turtles near the shoreline. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking another stay with us.

Orange Park
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We stated in condo 707, a one bedroom with ocean front. What a view we had every morning, Mokai and whales. The condo had everything a person could ask for. The concierge was very helpful in booking out tours and activities. The bed was really comfortable. Loved this place and will return.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deedoolee
Aloha Deedoolee,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm so pleased you were able to enjoy your stay with us. I will be sure to have management pass along your comments to the owner of that unit. How fantastic that you were able to see the whales.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2014

After having lost my husband to cancer this past year, my Dad suggested a trip to Maui would be in order. He and my Mother had stayed at the Royal Kahana many times in the past and always raved about how wonderful it was, so naturally, we asked our travel agent to book us a room there. We requested an ocean view 1 bedroom on the 6th floor or higher and we sat with her while she made the arrangements and confirmed that we would be getting what we asked for. When we arrived in Maui and got to the Royal Kahana, the man on the desk gave us a key to a room on the second floor that had only a very slight ocean view and overlooked the garden instead. When we complained and said that is not what we had booked, he proceeded to blame our travel agent. We knew it was not her fault, as we had been with her when she had spoken to the Royal Kahana staff and booked our trip last September. The guy at the desk refused to take ownership of the mistake and instead told us it was "the best view in the Condo" and besides there were no other rooms available. Hmm! We were tired and went to the room on the second floor for the night. It was totally NOT to our satisfaction nor expectations! I had to go down to the desk to ask for a blanket, as there was only a sheet on the rollaway bed. The next morning we dealt with a lovely woman named Angie at the desk. What a difference in attitude to the guy the night before! We explained our dilemma and she said she would fix it and she did. We did however have to stay in the second floor room for 3 nights, as the new one on the 8th floor was not available right away. When we did get into the room on the 8th floor, we did had the lovely view of the pool and ocean that we had wanted and paid for. We noticed the price on the back of the door for the room per night was considerably higher than was the posted price on the room we had been put in on the second floor. We had paid for the higher priced room and were not offered any compensation for having to stay 3 nights in a room that would have cost much less money- not impressed! Other changes that had happened in the facility since my Dad was last there were the cancellation of daily maid service and the weekly Mai Tai parties- definitely not changes for the better. I did not come on vacation to do my own towel and bedding laundry and was very disappointed. Then there were the rules- a rule against almost everything, except it seems, people drinking alcoholic beverages at the pool! That should have been near the top of the rules but instead it was not even on the list ( which was as long as your arm). On one occasion I found a shard of glass by the pool, which, had I not found it and thrown it away, could have cut someone. A previous reviewer had said the carpets in the units were not particularly clean as she saw from the dirt on her feet and or socks after walking around a bit. We experienced the same thing in our unit. Overall, the Royal Kahana is not as good as it used to be and it is very apparent that corners are being cut to save money. This does not enhance the guest experience at all. My Dad settled our housekeeping bill on the afternoon before we left and upon checking out ( the same guy on the desk as checked us in) said we hadn't paid the housekeeping charge and was going to charge us again- yet another unpleasant experience! The prices for the units are not cheap but the service does not match the price. We had a lovely vacation in Maui surrounded by the lovely ocean, the beauty of the people and places we saw. That said, we do have choices and would think long and hard about returning to the Royal Kahana on our next trip to Maui unless improvements are made! My Dad had recommended the place to friends ahead of our trip and they booked a place there for March on his say so. He now feels compelled to relay our experiences and let them change their accommodations should they wish. Very sad.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you booked and paid for.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Susan B
Aloha Susan B,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm pleased that Angie was able to provide you with excellent customer service. I apologize but we do not guarantee specific units or floors prior to a guest's arrival and are only able to note them as a request.

Unfortunately we have not had Mai Tai parties for many years and the daily housekeeping ended a couple years ago. Once again I would like to apologize as it seems none of this was communicated to your prior to your stay with us.

I have forwarded your review to management. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Maumelle, Arkansas
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We have been here before so we wanted to share the experience with our married Son/family. We looked forward to a special time with our 8 year old Granddaughter. We had arrangements months in advance. Upon arriving, We did not experience that warm Aloha with the Lady at the Outrigger's front desk. We got our room assignment/keys went to our room. Four adults and our 8 year old granddaughter, we had reserved a two bedroom unit for five people. We returned to the front desk to ask for a rollaway for our granddaughter. No we don't have a rollaway was the reply. You might find one from another source. Not what I wanted to here a non concerned reply. After several questions on our part We were told there was a hide-a-bed in the living room. Okay that works but had to return for pillows and bedding (sheets only on the bed). We did have a good time the room was okay. Although, the mid week automatic cleaning didn't happen until we requested it. When checking out I didn't find that friendly Mahalo. I thought our prepayment and arrangement included the final cleaning fee. I was given receipt and told to work it out with my trip plann
er. Bottom line The same check - in and check- out Lady has a very poor hospitality manner. I know attitude is everything. She brought out the worst in me! I will not return to the Outrigger, I don't think I'm special - I do think all guest should be treated special - a lot of choices out there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Dan G
Aloha Dan G,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize that you were not informed ahead of time that we do not offer rollaways at the property or that there are pull out sofa beds in the living rooms. You do bring up a good point for other travelers planning to use the sofa pull out. Please let the Front Desk know so we can be sure to provide an appropriate amount of bedding in the unit.

In regard to the agent I have brought your situation to management's attention and if you can please contact me with more information about what happened I would appreciate that. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed in 2 different units in 1 week. The first unit was the complete pits and needed serious updating and cleaning. The second unit was better and had recent updates, though the refrigerator needed repairs and rattled about once an hour, every hour. Complained to the front desk, with no action taken. Reviewing the guest book for the unit showed that this same issue had first been reported 7 months earlier and still nothing had been done to take care of it. Some staff were helpful, while others could have cared less. If you like the area, try Kahana Sands next door. Heard good things about them, but did not get to see the units. Also, booked through royal hawaii condos. This was a mistake. Agent said there would be extra perks in booking with him, other than taking nearly 1 hr to book it seemed to be about the same as going through any other company.

Room Tip: Book through a service that lets you choose the exact room number that you will stay in, otherwise c...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LakeTraveler128
OutriggerRoyal K, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Kahana, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Aloha LakeTraveler128,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm sorry you had some issues with the unit and the staff. I would like to get more information from you if you will contact me so this can be addressed.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking another stay. I do hope you will contact me however so we can discuss this most recent stay.

rkr@outrigger.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#17 of 32 in Lahaina
The Kapalua Villas, Maui

Been to Royal Kahana? Share your experiences!