“Stay here for a great break on Maui”
Review of Royal Kahana

Royal Kahana
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the end of June after 7 nights in Waikiki and in hindsight we wish we'd had more!! The Outrigger Royal Kahana is a gem of a place. It isn't modern but is clean and tidy and with a full kitchen and laundry it is great for a long or short stay. Our apartment had a flat screen tv with plenty of channels. We whipped up to the supermarket, which was a five minute drive away, and bought breakfast supplies and dinner one night which was really handy. Our apartment was 415 and had a proper shower which we loved. Yes the view was ocean view with a view of the burnt out gym at the resort next door but it was a great discussion point for us when we sat outside. We had a huge super king size bed which was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. The pool was bigger than I expected from the pictures I'd seen. We had a car and had no problems getting a park although they were thin. The beach isn't huge but you're at the beach for the water and if you want to lie in the sun there are loads of sun loungers around the pool and on the grass above the beach. In a nutshell we will definitely be back. We love the idea of condo/apartment accommodation - plenty of room to relax.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Lottie1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had checked the reviews and hoped for the best. We are Timeshare owners with Wyndham and are used to wonderful places to stay. I knew that this was not Wyndham managed but had hopes for some sort of standard. This place is OLD. I respect that and the fact that the private owners of this unit are trying to make money, but, stained carpet, cheap utensils, dirty dishes, drawers with stains all over them ( living out of my suitcase) is not my idea of accomodations. The musty smell was aweful and I had to go buy fabreeze. The dishes do not match and are worn badly as is the entire kitchen. Very old microwave is so old the colors on the door have yellowed. The bathroom is so tiny that I feel as though I am on an airplane and while the shower appears renovated, the walls are peeling. I am so sad that our last few days in paradise are being spent here. I have recommended to Wyndham that they do not offer this resort. I have been spoiled by timeshare ownership and expect the best in where we stay. This, sadly is a huge dissappointment. The AC is locked and we are hot because there are no screens in several of the doors/windows. The only good thing is the view and it is exceptional.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fear-the-Redhead
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had a great stay on June 11-17. Our room was everything that we needed, a one bedroom ocean view room (1214) , it was clean but older and could use to be updated a bit. But would we stay here again, absolutely! Everyone that we dealt with at the Outrigger Royal Kahana were so kind and helpful. This is not a resort hotel and that was what we wanted. If you need or want daily maid service and an onsite restaurant , this isn't the place for you. It is quite with a small but good beach, that yes you will see turtles here. My husband, 15 year son, and myself had a lot of fun snorkeling here. But up the road a bit is a perfect little spot for all your snorkeling needs . Well worth getting up early daily and getting in the water before the crowds show up.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Angela M
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Let me preface my review by saying I'm normally the guy who wants the suite on a high floor at one of the upscale Hilton or Starwood properties. But I truly enjoyed my stay at the Royal Kahana.

Location is excellent, it's on Kahana beach just a couple of miles north of where you'll find most of the larger resorts (Westin, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) down on Kaanapali beach. Kahana beach is a bit on the narrow side, but it's still very usable. You have Kaanapali a short ride south if you want the "big beach' feel, or if you want a truly gorgeous beach go north a mile to either Napili or Kalapua. The latter two are in nice crescent shaped small bays that calms the water nicely and have spectacularly blue water that allows you to see all the way to the bottom.

Again, if you're looking for shopping and dining, it's all a short ride away down to Whalers, etc or up to the area around the Ritz if going the other direction. But you do have a fast food and a couple of decent restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel.

But let's digress for a moment. If you're staying here, it's likely to save a bit of money. Part of what you get by renting one of these units is a full kitchen, and there's also grills at the pool. Again, grocery stores are a short ride away, but you'll find a shell station with a wonderful convenience store across the street. They have anything you need, including sandwiches if you want to throw together a quick picnic lunch for a ride to Hana or Haleakala.

About the rooms, we had 3 of the normal studio style 1BR's with an oceanview. They layout of the rooms are the same, but do be aware as these are owned by individuals and managed by Outrigger in many cases the decor will vary significantly. This was no big deal to us, especially with 3 of them to work with. But as an example one of our rooms had a nice couch and cocktail table, but very small dining table. Another had a huge dining table and lots of chairs for it, but no couch at all. If that kind of thing matters to you, I'd recommend calling ahead, we found the staff to be extremely helpful, friendly and accomodating as they helped ensure we had rooms next to each other and on a high floor.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. How good your view is depends on exactly where you land, but any of the high floors look to be able to see the water. Everything worked, washer and dryer were included in addition to the full kitchen as was a small safe. Again, washer and dryer is huge if you're staying a long time as you can pack light and not incur laundry bills.

Now if you think there's a catch and they're going to make the money up some where, there really isn't. Parking is free. Wifi was $25 a week....yeah, you read that right, only $25 for a whole 7 days. Daily rate was $8.95. There is a concierge in the lobby to sell you excursions, so I'm sure they make a little that way, but he was also offering discounted rates over direct pricing on many things. And yes, we checked to see if it was REALLY cheaper, and it was when compared against web quoted price.

So what are the downsides? Ok, the main thing you're giving up by staying here is daily maid service. You do get a good collection of towels to start the week with, and do remember the washer and dryer is there. You can schedule the maid to come in at whatever frequency you think you need her. $40 for a full service clean up of a studio, not bad. We used it once and was well worth it. All towels replaced, bed changed and made, trash taken out, everything spic and span. We had been lazy and left some dirty dishes in sink, she even washed those, I wasn't expecting that. We left a very generous tip as a result.

Other downsides? Not many, I could nitpick the pool for being kinda on the small side, but it's Hawaii, you really want to sit by the pool? Go to the beach! It's good enough to entertain the kiddies. They do need to do something about the decking around the pool though, it had apparently just been resurfaced and it was extremely slick. Saw a few wipeouts.

And although hard to gripe about free parking, it seems people who stay here get in early. Come in after 10PM and you'll find a parking space, but it's likely under the tennis courts. The spots are pretty narrow too, but that's better than not having enough parking in my opinion.

Overall this is a major bargain. You can stay here a week for what a couple of days would cost you at a joint like the Grand Wailea. Service was exceptional, I'd stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Ricky L
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We checked into the Outrigger Royal Kahana into a 2 bedroom oceanfront condo on May 31, 2013. We were given a second floor condo (210). As soon as we walked in we were wondering if this was actually a resort, since the room looked like something from an old movie or transient hotel. I told my family not to unpack and if we were stuck staying that night, we would find something else in the morning. We went to the front desk and inquired about the safe key and then I asked if there was a minimum nights stay. Tim from the front desk asked if there was a problem with the room and we stated yes. He then looked for another room, but did not have any and asked if we could stay the night in 210 and he would give us another room in the morning, actually a choice of a few rooms. We agreed and went to dinner, when we returned Tim had made some changes and had a room for us to view. We went the room (410) and found it to be great, the difference in the room was unimaginable. Our new room was very, very, nice and well appointed with everything needed. We then transferred our bags to our new room and had a wonderful stay. Had it not been for Tim, this review would have been much different. My family along with the rest of our party would have left the hotel, thus Outrigger losing out on three rooms for a week. The hotel has a nice beach and pool, but no real restaurant. If traveling with family and larger space needed, we found this hotel to be great. The 2 bedrooms have 21/2 baths, which is great for traveling with a teenager. Be aware there is no maid service, but if you are like me, I prefer not to have anyone entering me room anyhow. Since these condos are individually owned, they appear to vary in how they are appointed.

Room Tip: If you are assigned room 210, check it out first, it was a train wreck as of May 31, 2013. Otherwis...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rick D
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Recently stayed in unit 302 at the Royal Kahana and it was great. I hesitate to advertise this little gem b/c I don't want it to be booked when I return! :-) Anyway, it was a very nice, clean studio with a lovely ocean view. It's on the quiet side of the complex and at the end of a hallway, so it was away from the noise. The unit is fully equipped with kitchen, a/c, w/d, comfy king bed, ipod dock, and lots of beach goodies. Another nice feature is the private wifi. Since I had to work while there, it was convenient to have reliable, fast internet...as I hear that the standard Royal Kahana service is horrible. Another little nice feature was the keypad to enter the unit. It was nice not to have to carry keys or a card when I left for a morning run. Rick is great to deal with and was fast and friendly at answering my numerous questions prior to arrival! This unit is a great value for 1-2 people for a lovely Maui visit!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed June 6, 2013 through June 11 in room 604. A few bumps when we arrived. Originally given room 1019, the sliding door came off track, couldn't close it, and we had a view of the burned out building next door, along with a sliver of beach. Luckily they were able to move us into a better room, which was 604 on the other side of the building. No burned out building to look at and larger view of the ocean. Then, when leaving to go get groceries, the door handle came off. Had to wait until the next day to get fixed. Also heard of others having similar issues.

Then I learned that part of the problem is.... well, they are condos. Some privately owned, some not. We had a rather plain, unit. You could tell some things had been recaulked, wireing simply covered and ran on the interior wall to the fan and overhead light. Old TV, comforter, etc. Studio, floor plan had a kitchen bar instead of table and chairs, which we liked. Definately only for 2 people. Overall though, the room was still comfortable, good view and flowed well.

We loved that it was quiet. No crowds like along the resort strips. Beach front is narrow, but again we loved that it was quiet. Don't get the public coming down, so really just the people staying at the 3 or 4 places along the short strip. Not a "destination beach" which was fine by me.

Smoking is a pain, as you can't smoke on the lanais outside of your room, but there is a nice area in the corner of the parking lot and you can smoke on the beach, but not on the lawn. But it is like that pretty much every where you go these days, so no surprise there.

Only one set of elevators in the middle of the building, but between the 3, the wait was pretty short. But the farther out you get in the building, the farther you are from the elevator.

We did not use the services for booking anything. We did rent snorkle set, but would not recomend. Boss Frog has better ones. Pool was nice, but did not swim. Snack area is nice enough, but service was slow. Smoothie was really good though.

We did not use housekeeping. Plenty of regular towels and 3 beach towels. We did wash towels to avoid any extra charges. Came with soap for one load, but I squeezed 3 loads out of it. No dryer sheets. We actually liked not having to worry about when housekeeping was coming.

Nice having the McDonalds, small store, gas, coffe, restaurant, etc. withing walking distance. Black Angus had excellent food.

So, if you like quiet and don't need room service type amenities, this place is great. Just enough like a hotel to suit us, just enough not like a hotel to suit us.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple