My wife and I visited Maui for our 5th anniversary from September 25 to October 5, 2007. After reading a large number of reviews, we chose to stay at the Royal Kahana, and we weren't disappointed at all!
We stayed in Condo 1215, a beautiful one-bedroom ocean-view. The condo was equipped with a full kitchen (as well as appliances and utensils) along with a washer, dryer and dishwasher. It is located in Kahana (just a few minutes North of Lahaina on the west side of Maui). The room was comfortable and clean and unless a "Privacy" sign was on the door, the cleaning staff would clean and re-stock the condo every day (including doing the dishes!). The resort also has a pool and beach towels are provided by the resort (so you can change them daily for fresh ones!) Also, to alleviate some other concerns I read in reviews, we didn't see any bugs (with the exception of a dead cricket on the lanai), but we did catch a small lizard in our room on our last night there! (small meaning not as big as a penny).
The staff was always polite and courteous and there was always someone available at the main desk in the lobby. Also, there is an Expedia travel office at the resort if you need to book activities. Most of the prices they quoted were quite a bit cheaper than what I saw anywhere online, so you might want to check them out! The Expedia reps were really helpful and even provided a short introduction to the island and it's activities during our first day so we wouldn't miss a thing!
The view from the lanai was incredible! Being an ocean-view, the left side of the view was of neighboring resorts, but on the right side we had a great view of the ocean and distant islands. The beach at the condo isn't really anything special unless you have small kids who want to play in the quiet waters. I would recommend travelling a few minutes North to the best beach we discovered in the area... the D.T. Fleming beach park! The waves here are pretty big (great for boogie boarding) and the beach is quite large. There is also ample parking and facilities available (both of which are hard to find at many of the beaches around Lahaina). Another beach I would recommend is the LONG stretch of Ka'anapali Beach (including Black Rock- a great snorkeling spot). The waves here aren't very intense, so if you just prefer swimming out, this is probably the beach for you.
The weather in Kahana is a little on the breezy side, but we found that if you didn't like the weather in one place, a 5 minute drive in either direction brings a drastic change! Lahaina is HOT with very little breeze to speak of.
It was a great anniversary trip for us, and we really enjoyed our stay at the Royal Kahana!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Make yourself at home in Kahana. This beachfront community is the calm cousin to West Maui's high-profile destinations of Lahaina, Kaanapali and Kapalua Resort. You won't find the typical string of Maui hotels, dazzling storefronts, and streams of shoppers and diners - although that's only a few minutes away if the mood strikes. Breathe in the breeze that sweeps across the ocean view from your high-rise lanai. Marvel at humpback whales slapping and rolling so close to shore! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Royal Kahana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Royal Kahana Hotel Lahaina
- Outrigger Hotel Lahaina
- Outrigger Hotel Royal Kahana
- Outrigger Lahaina
- Lahaina Outrigger
- Outrigger Royal Kahana Resort
- Royal Kahana Maui/Lahaina