“royal is good, kai is boring”

Kaanapali Golf Courses
Ranked #66 of 152 Outdoor Activities in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: World-class golfing at the heart of Kaanapali Beach Resort, is home to the Senior PGA Tour EMC Kaanapali Classic.
Reviewed June 28, 2014

the royal is wide open but can be windy. views from most of the holes. played the kai because they offered a $39 replay so while it was boring, still a good value at this price.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"tees"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We played the Royal Course. Positives were the friendly staff and well run starter. Course is interesting as it winds its way amongst resorts and condos before heading across the road where you get great views albeit traded off against being more exposed to the prevailing winds. The downside of the day for us had been that the greens had been recently cored and putting was a bit hit and miss. Snack cart was seen once on the first nine and then a couple of times on the back nine. All in all it was an enjoyable experience and I would love to play when the greens were back to normal

Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I played the Kai and two days later played the Royal. The experience the first day was very nice, a little slow and as mentioned in a prior post the beverage cart was scarce, one saw her once after the fourth hole and then after 10 or so. The staff was very nice and we really enjoyed the day. Two days later we returned to play the Royal, we got off to a great start, the course was challenging but fair and it was wide open. When we got to 16 the grounds guy was mowing the fairway, he made NO effort to move to the side and sat right in the middle of the fairway as I hit my drive. I was very intimidated on the tee and frankly shanked my drive. I have never seen a grounds person sit right in the middle of the fairway like that in 25 years of golf. I was pissed. We pull up and my wife goes to hit her drive and he does the same thing, she of course is intimidated and does not hit the ball well. He continues to sit in the middle of the fairway during my next shot and my wife's next two. We are now furious, he is making NO attempt to avoid interference. We finish putting and he drives away. We play 17 a little par three and go to the tee on 18 and here he is again and he sits right in the middle of the fairway for both of us again, I try to wave him to move and he just sits there. He proceeds to sit in the fairway 150 yards away throughout both my and my wife's drives and second shots. I am outraged at this point. When my wife is hitting her approach he pulls up 20 feet behind us and sits and stares at her while she hits her shot. I am yelling at him to turn around and leave us alone. As soon as she hits her shot he THEN turns around and goes back the other way. The last three holes of our dream vacation golf were destroyed thanks to this jerk. I am furious at this point and make my opinion known when I get to the clubhouse. The guys in the club house understand take my number for the superintendent to call and as of yet no phone call. My wife and I are heartbroken that this is probably the only time we will ever be in Hawaii and playing golf on a course that charges nearly $200 a round and this is how we are leaving the island, with our last three holes ruined by a groundskeeper. The final taste in our mouth is bile and anger. We were so excited to play here and we are heartbroken. I have had better experiences playing on a mediocre course back home for $35 than this. There are not words profane enough to explain how we feel. The views were best on the Kai course but The Royal is more challenging. Both courses were very women friendly as far as layout and there were a lot of nice things along the way, but our experience was truly ruined. In 25 years I have never felt so disrespected as a paying customer let alone at the prices-disgusting. Short of them flying us back to hawaii for another week, and comping our flight, hotel, and a couple rounds of golf I will never ever set foot on this course again or recommend playing there. Again the best word I can say is heartbroken.

3  Thank Brettsax
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Kai Course was closed, so we played the Royal Course twice. The course can be challenging with fast greens, false fronts and occasional hidden hazards. However, the fairways are generous and you can not get into too much trouble if you play for position and don't get overly aggressive. The GPS in the carts are extremely helpful. A total of eight holes are on the ocean side of the highway with the remainder meandering along the hillside east of the highway, many offer spectacular views. The course offers discounts for two course play as well as discounts for those staying in the Ka'anapali resorts. Bring at least one bottle of water, there are water jugs for refilling every three holes or so, and you are also likely to run into the cart girls at least a couple times a round.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This was the second time my husband played this course, Kaanapali Royal and enjoyed it. The course had some elevation, one crosses a bridge to get higher up, and also play with resorts and the ocean near. The course is very popular as all the Kaanapali hotels are right there so it is very convenient to play there. It is a good course, restaurant/bar attached, and a nice pro shop as well. The staff is also professional and friendly. My husband felt that if the cost per round was a bit less, it would make it excellent. An enjoyable round on a well-kept course. Nice folks to play with each time. Hit 'em straight!