“Enjoyed the Experience Just Before We Left for Home”
Review of Japengo

Japengo
Reserve with OpenTable
Japengo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 274 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Sushi, Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kaanapali Parkway
Transit: Take the Maui Public Bus to Whaler's Village and then a short walk along the boardwalk, to the Hyatt Regency Maui.
Description: Japengo is sophisticated dining destination on Maui, featuring world-class steaks, seafood, and sushi. Japengo blends fresh locally-grown ingredients with the exotic flavors of the Pacific Rim. Enjoy indoor and outdoor patio seating, a chic sushi lounge, and an indoor/outdoor lounge area. Happy hour daily and live entertainment every night. Free parking is available.Japengo has earned numerous awards including the 2013 Gold 'Aipono Award for Best Pacific Rim Restaurant on Maui, and 2013 Silver 'Aipono Awards for Best Seafood and Best Asian Restaurant on Maui.Every 2nd and 4th Saturday, Chef Jay shares his secrets in Japengo's Saturday Sushi School, an hands-on culinary class in the Sushi Lounge.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt much of December but didn't go to Japengo until near the end of our visit. We had no reservation but went in early. We sat at a table inside the sushi bar area and enjoyed the experience. I agree with a few others that the timing of the delivery of the food is slow, but, quite frankly, we were in Hawaii to enjoy the pace. We did, also, have a few drinks before the sushi was delivered. That said, the rolls were well prepared and very tasty. One sushi chef was a pleasure to watch and listen to. He was obviously not shy. All in all, this was a good evening for us. Some friends had reservations later and we stopped by their table and understand why people would make a reservation and sit out on the end of the patio. What a fantastic view! When we return, we will prepare for a longer dinner outside.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I love sushi - being from Minnesota, I thought that the Sushi would be out of this world here, but I was not super impressed. The rolls were really large and they were hard to eat. It was pretty pricey too. The service and atmosphere were really great.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This place has it all. Great food... great atmosphere... service... view. You name it. First of all the restaurant is gorgeous! It's in the Hyatt on Ka'anapali. I made reservations in advance by just a day and had an easy time getting in. The menu is unique but very good. I had a sushi roll and also the fish in the coconut sauce with black rice. It was just incredible! It was so incredible I thought about it for 2 days and returned. Oooh, now I'm thinking about it again! It's not a cheap place, but it's a great place for a splurge. I will definitely be eating there again!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I recently ate at Japengo before going to see a show in Lahaina. Our experience was great. The setting is just "postcard-esque"! We had a table with a view you just wouldn't believe! Unfortunately, it was so windy we requested to be moved inside. The wait staff was very courteous and prompt. The menu is amazing with so much variety! We ordered the Honolulu Roll and it was one of our favorites. The sashimi with watermelon is an appetizer you don't want to miss. I am hoping we can visit again before we leave Maui!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Wonderful location along with wonderful Sushi. Even though on vacation and not in a rush i found the timing of food to table extremely long. Two glasses of wine before food arrived.Unacceptable for a high end establishement. If you are willing to put with long wait for overprice Sushi check it out. Perhaps if you sit at the bar you may get better service?