“Every Bit As Good As Sansei Without The Wait”
Review of Japengo

Japengo
Reserve with OpenTable
Japengo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 268 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Sushi, Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kaanapali Parkway
Transit: Take the Maui Public Bus to Whaler's Village and then a short walk along the boardwalk, to the Hyatt Regency Maui.
Description: Japengo is sophisticated dining destination on Maui, featuring world-class steaks, seafood, and sushi. Japengo blends fresh locally-grown ingredients with the exotic flavors of the Pacific Rim. Enjoy indoor and outdoor patio seating, a chic sushi lounge, and an indoor/outdoor lounge area. Happy hour daily and live entertainment every night. Free parking is available.Japengo has earned numerous awards including the 2013 Gold 'Aipono Award for Best Pacific Rim Restaurant on Maui, and 2013 Silver 'Aipono Awards for Best Seafood and Best Asian Restaurant on Maui.Every 2nd and 4th Saturday, Chef Jay shares his secrets in Japengo's Saturday Sushi School, an hands-on culinary class in the Sushi Lounge.
Reviewed December 5, 2012

On a busy Friday night in December, we called for reservations at Sansei in Kapalua and were told it would be 1.5 hours to get a seat at the Sushi Bar. We have dined there numerous times and have always been impressed with the food; but we were hungry from a day at the beach. Looking online, we found Japengo located in the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali. For some reason, it doesn't show up readily on Google under sushi bars; but we had heard good things about it. Our only hesitancy was the costs of parking and the high prices of things at the resort. We discovered public parking was just across the access road; but it is a hassle to find at night-so we drove past the entry all of the way past the service entry and just past the main rear entry in the last row of parking. There are about 10 free spaces labeled Beach Parking Only 7am to 7pm. As it was not quite 6pm we parked and walked from the rear of the resort all of the way to the lobby to find the restaurant. The wait was only about 10 minutes and imagine our surprise to find the prices about the same as Sansei, the selections comparable with a few extra expensive Sake selections thrown in. The sushi bar chefs were mostly Japanese with a nippon speaking gringo thrown in to be PC. The sashimi was exquisite and the mixed rice bowl was huge. I had the Sake flight and my wife had a nice Napa Sauvignon Blanc. We were in and out in about 45 minutes and had plenty of time to visit numerous fancy shops on our way to the rear entrance.

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

I called for reservations using the Trip Advisor link, but got a recorded message. (I knew they were open at the time.) so, I made the reservation through the concierge at the hotel.

We were seated outside with a lovely evening view of the Pacific. I had the seafood grill and my wife had the prawn Phad Thai. We shared a California roll. They were stingy with the wasabi and the roll didn't stick together well.

My grill was okay, only two prawns, a dry catch and a gob of rice. The king crab was well-prepared and tasty. My wife's Phad Thai good, not excellent. Portion sizes were good sized. The waiter was a bit loud and overbearing.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We sat outside on the patio at Happy Hour and had a few drinks. The view was great, surroundings very pretty and our waitress was friendly and quick. The curried calamari off the happy hour menu was very good- our bill came to about $30 for 2 drinks and an app, which I thought was pretty decent considering the cost of their regular menu. Would recommend, especially if you are staying at the Hyatt and need something quick to eat.

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I really expected the quality and freshness of the sushi to be off the carts considering that we are in Hawaii. And it was good. But I've had better sushi in Seattle--which surprises me.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I love sushi so we though we would try Japengo since we could walk to the restaurant. The atmosphere of the restaurant did not disappoint; it was evening so I can't comment on the views of the ocean. The sushi was very fresh and I have only two negative comments - 1) there was way too much crab in the rolls - yes, this made the rolls larger and maybe that is why they justify charging 50% more, but I prefer to taste the other elements of the rolls too, not just the crab. 2) the restaurant is overpriced - e.g. they charge $10 for a small bowl of miso soup that tastes no different than miso I have had elsewear. Yes, I know this Hawaii and we had many meals elsewhere at the higher prices, however I felt the Japengo prices for sushi were very high.