“Absolutely Rubbish”

Finest Kind Sportfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: FINEST KIND SPORT FISHING is the only Owner Operated, and 3rd generation, Sport Fishing Charter company in Maui. With Captain David Hudson at the helm since 1973. With Capt. Dave's 40 years of experience, operating out of Lahaina Harbor, FINEST KIND consistently holds the catch records for Maui County. Using only the finest fishing equipment, and having extensive local knowledge of where the fish are and what kind of bait should be used.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our family booked a $600 charter for a 4 hour trip. After being shown what to do when we get a bite we waited, & waited & waited. We caught one very small tuna on the whole 4 hour trip. It was extremely uneventful.
Although we got to keep the fish & it was filleted for us we ended up paying $850 for the charter as it was a bigger boat. They did not tell us at the start that we would be on a bigger boat, not the one we originally thought we would be on. After that the mate then came up to us on shore & said you know its customary to tip the deck hands, you know 10%, basically demanded we pay the tip even though we pretty much caught nothing & the deck hands did very little our whole trip apart from put the lines out.
Very disappointing & extremely expensive experience.

2  Thank SOC100

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our family of 6 vacationed in Maui this past summer. One of the ultimate excursions my husband and my two boys wanted to do was charter a fishing boat for the day.....I am not sure how I came upon Finest Kind Sportfishing but after googling fishing charters in Lahaina I contacted Captain Charlie and told him what my boys wanted to do. Early morning my boys and their Captain took off at 5am.......of course me and the girls were still asleep....about 8am my phone went off with a text from my husband and a picture of the most beautiful fish I have ever seen.....204lb Blue Marlin! Of course my sons dream was to catch a Marlin but he was not counting on it - took him an hour and 45 minutes to real it in and he insisted on doing all alone. My other son caught a beautiful Oahu which was cut up for us by the Captain and we grilled it on the pit when they got back to our hotel. The crowd that gathered around the pier to watch their boat come in was overwelming. A local told me that word gets around when Marlins are caught. As a mother I was overwelmed with joy not only because of what they caught but also because I know that day will never be forgotten.....it was a once in a lifetime experience to catch what they did! Thank You to the staff and crew for this wonderful excursion. I would highly recommend Finest Kind Sportfishing.

3  Thank Melanie K
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The afternoon before our charter I checked in to see what boat we would be fishing from. Nicky told me she thought we would be on a 37" boat that was still at sea for the day, said any extra fish we caught would go to area restaurants, and promised us we could take home as much fish as we wanted. A couple of hours later we received a call cancelling our trip, too late to make reservations with any other charter boat. I calmly expressed my disappointment since this was the second time they cancelled on us this week. Later Captain Charlie called to accuse me of being cheap for not paying for a more expensive charter, told me I wasn't going to "catch a marlin from the beach" and hung up on me. Avoid Finest Kind Sportfishing unless you want to be disappointed.

5  Thank Chris J
Reviewed September 11, 2013

On 9/2/13 my wife and I fished aboard the "Finest Kind" on a 10 hour private charter targeting Blue Marlin. We arrived @ the boat @ 0430 and the crew was there preparing for the day. We left the dock @ 0500 as scheduled and proceeded to the 1000 fathom curve in search of “The Man in the Blue Suit” Captains, Shawn and Kamal worked the cockpit and Fly bridge as well as a fine oiled machine, There professionalism, experience and work ethics combined to show us a great day on the pacific, even though we did not catch and release a Marlin. My wife caught a Wahoo and I caught a 200 lb Galapagos shark. People need to realize that the crew cannot guarantee catching fish, only the opportunity, knowledge and correct tools to do so if that once in a lifetime fish decides to to eat.
R/ Chris

1  Thank Chris K
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I just went yesterday on a private charter for a full day - what an awesome time ! I was a bit hesitant about paying for a private charter for just he and I but when we got there I was glad I did !!! Choosing who was going to sit in "the seat" to reel in the big fish was easy since it was just he and I but it would have been a bummer if we went with a group of six, had to choose a number on the sequence of who goes first, second, etc. and been #6 when we only had 4 hits. You get the idea.

Anyway, both Hunter and Shaun tried to make the experience as enjoyable as possible. I had not gone deep sea fishing since I was a kid so Hunter very patiently explained all the ins and outs of landing a fish. It paid off ! We did not catch the big marlin but we caught a Maui Maui, two Artic Bonitas and a white tailed shark !!! I pulled in the Maui Maui and it was an adrenaline rush. Thanks Shaun for being at my side guiding me on what to do !! Also Hunter you were right - I stopped reeling during the first couple of times Shaun told me what to do, I thought for sure this would not happen to me. Of course I could reel and listen at the same time :o)

Great day, professional crew and a memory to last a lifetime !!!

3  Thank SnowyDays12