“Best time with Son and new family”

Extreme Sport Fishing Maui
Wintersville, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best time with Son and new family”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Booked a private boat on No Problem with Captain Mason who must have known something that day. My son was getting married in Hawaii so as the first fish was on he went first, for the last time in his life. A tuna was on and the fight started. 5 min later which is long when fishing he got it next to the boat and it went out again. Finally it was on the boat well at least half of it as a shark had grabbed it beside the boat. Very different experience. Well, 25, yes 25 mahi mahi later we went in exhausted and happy with the trip. My son, his new father in law, my daughter's boyfriend and I could not have had a better time. Captain Mason thanks for the experience we will not forget.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank bcgull3

• Turkish first
Carmichael, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“SUPER BAD (Drunk) Capt Ryan / Deckhand Chad”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We booked a trip on the Kai Akua slip 9. We scheduled the trip with Pamela and were told to meet at the boat at 2:30 am.

Then the Captain called at 5:30 pm the night before obviously from a loud bar, sluring his words and changed the meeting time to 12:30 am (because he was being lazy and didnt want to catch the bait and come back in to pick us up). He even told us "not to drink too much sauce" because "12:30 comes early". We went to bed at 7pm that night (our Saturday night in Hawaii), we had to leave our condo by 11:30 as it was a 45 min drive to the harbor. We arrived at 12:20 am, paid our $25 parking fee, and hung out with our soon to be new Canadian friends, Steve & Jim. The 4 of us waited and waited and waited some more, blowing both Captain Ryan's phone, the deckhand, Captain Chads phone & Pamela's phone too. We watched other boats leave the dock to catch their bait and watched them return to pick up their clients. It is now 2:30 am obviously we are not fishing so we left for our 45 minute drive back to Kihei.

We returned to the docks later that day to see what the other boats caught. They slayed the fish. We were talking to some of the other captains and deckhands and one of them said that they saw Captain Ryan and deckhand Chad at the local pub last night with their clients from that days trip getting drunk.

Finally received a call from Pamela at 8 am, she was so sorry and told me these two captains were going to be repremanded; I was in shock, I corrected her and said they should be terminated. I couldnt beleive it when she "continuously" asked me "not" to write a bad review.

10 Thank Wayne K
Nanaimo, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Bad Captain Ryan,Big Game Fishing,Kai Akua,Slip 9”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Only thing we caught with Capt.Ryan was head lice,In all fairness that may have been from the vagrant sleeping near the boat as we waited for over 2 1/2 hours for Capt Ryan who never did show up.After arranging a shared boat fishing trip we were asked to meet at the boat at 02:30,later that day we were contacted by a slurring Capt.Ryan telling us to be at the boat by 00:30 sharp as we were going bait fishing before we went fishing,to which we agreed.My buddy Jim and showed up a 1/2 hour early just to make sure we didn't miss the boat,no pun intended.At 00:20 two more people showed up "Wayne & Piper" part of the boat share group.At 00:30 we start calling any numbers we have associated with the charter leaving voice mails at the numbers we had as no one was answering or returning our calls.It is now going on 01:00 still no Capt Ryan or crew.We decided to hang around until 02:30 which was the original time we were supposed to meet,getting more and more agitated watching several other charters leave the harbour.At 02:30 a cab arrives with "Paul" the fifth person in our fishing group,he had not received the same call moving the departure time.Now we have five customers and no Captain or crew at the boat.Not a happy situation.At this point my buddy Jim and I gave up on waiting for Capt.Ryan.We received a phone call the next morning around 08:00 from Pamela the girl we arranged the fishing trip with apologizing up and down how sorry she was,she could not get a hold of Ryan or crew and did not not know where or why we did not go out.We were offered a rebooking which at first we agreed to but later in the day found out from Wayne & Piper they were offered a complimentary trip on their next vacation to Maui,so we decided to book a different trip with "Die Hard" a different charter outfit we told him our story and he cut us a bit of a deal.We went out that next morning at 01:00 went bait fishing about 5 miles offshore The skipper "Fuzzy" shut the engines off while we were bait fishing.We got our bait fish in the live tank and Fuzzy attempted to start the engines,no go,dead batteries.We bobbed around out there for the next 6 hours until Fuzzy could get a buddy to bring out some batteries,2 car batteries and 1 was stone dead.Well Fuzzy could not make it work.My buddy Jim and I took over,tired of this gong show even joked about not having a green card as we are Canadian and getting his boat running for him.My buddy is a marine engineer and I am a heavy duty mechanic.We got another battery and jumper wires out of Fuzzy"s buddies boat and along with a pair of cheezy jumper cables manged to get enough juice to get an engine started.Day 2 still have not been fishing but at least safely back on land.There is a happy ending.We went out with a third boat, Capt Mason and Jimmy on the "No Problem"excellent, 5 stars,caught 28 mahimahi,4 tuna on final day of our vacation,only took us 4 days to do it............Steve R. Nanaimo,BC Canada

4 Thank Steve R
Albany, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First Class Operation!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My father and I took a private charter on the No Problem with captain Mason and Jimmy. I've done a lot of fishing in my life and this trip was one of my favorite ever. Right from the beginning you can tell these guys are passionate about fishing. They called us the night before to discuss plans and we left bright and early the next morning with a tank full of live bait they had gone out earlier to catch. By the time you could start seeing the horizon we had our first Mahi on and the action never stopped! These guys were just a joy to fish with. They kept us informed of what was going on and worked their butts off. In total, we caught 22 Mahi and an 8 foot, 300 lb. Bronze Whaler shark (an extra thrill)! I will definitely be calling these guys next time Im on the Island!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jason C
longview
“excellant fishing”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Husband and I really enjoyed ourselves with Captain's Ryan and Chad today. Had wonderful time deep sea fishing for Yellow Fin Tuna and Trolled for Marlin.. Great time had by all that went. Great job guys very professional and accommodating. Would definitely recommend this outfit.