“Aug 8 2013 on the "No Problem"”

Extreme Sport Fishing Maui
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just completed a trip on the "No Problem" with Capt. Mason Lambert and first mate "Jimmy" and in summary, it was awesome with a total of 13 fish (7 yellow fin, 3 skip jack and 3 mahi).

Started at 2:00 AM at slip #14 with a total of 6 of us (not including Mason and Jimmy). Mason and Jimmy just came back from catching live bait (Mackerel). We headed out to the 1st bouy (MC) that is ~38 miles out of Lahaina harbor.

4:30 AM: First cast and caught a Mahi. At sun rise, we got a buck of yellow fin tuna up around 40+ pounds. At this time we were rocking and rolling with up to 4 on at one time with use ducking and climbing over one another. It was controlled chaos and was conducted by both Jimmy and Mason.

We went to 2 more bouys and caught some more Mahi and Skip Jack and called it the day. We had a Marlin bit but did not hold.

Comments:
Need to be in good shape.
Most likely will get sea sick at the 1st stop since there was no light to see the horizon but gets a lot better when the sun come up.
This is not Disneyland (not kid friendly) and Mason and Jimmy did a excellent job telling us what to do so you need to listen up.
Fish is shared so you do not get all of the fish but enough for a feast for 1-2 nights.
Tip is a must especially if you catch fish like we did (13 in all with mostly Tuna which was what we wanted).
Tuna was excellent the same night along with the grilled Mahi.

1  Thank MR_VB

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Scheduled a trip on the No Problem in June. Spent a lot of time trying to decide where to fish because this was the most important part of my vacation. The captain called the night before and arranged to meet at the dock at 2;30 A.M. Upon arriving at the dock the boat was there, but no crew. I called all three phone numbers I had and left messages but no response. We waited at the dock for around 45 minutes before leaving to go back to sleep.

At 6:00 AM I got a message from Captain Mason informing me that he was so sorry he didn't show up because he drank too much the night before and he would try to make it up to us!

I could not get a hold of him when I called back. Extreme sport fishing Maui said they would try to get us on a shared fishing trip aboard another boat, but did not even imply they could give us a discount or send us out for free? I felt like they really minimized what happened and didn't understand the importance of my trip. The lady asked if I was just off the fishing thing and wanted to do something else. I wondered how many customers really don't care to fish and book a $1000+ fishing trip? I found it strange that their cancellation policy is 48 hours ahead for a refund but when they fail to show up for the trip they expect that you will be happy to pay full price and spend another day to do the trip again. Even when we looked into that they couldn't find a boat that would work. They did try to offer giving us a discount on their champagne and chocolate cruise with their sister company. Once again, thinking I would pay to give their horrible business a second chance.

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I didn't appreciate taking motion sickness medication and waking up at 2 in the morning to ruin a day of my family's vacation to Hawaii and then have that fact minimized by a company that is obviously out of touch with reality. Instead of asking us to pay to do something we are not interested in how about trying to make amends for your screw up.

Hopefully it doesn't take me another 29 years to make it to Hawaii to fish but whenever I make it back I wouldn't waste a moment thinking about a trip with these guys.

If Trip Advisor sets up audio upload I can put the Captain's hung over message online so you can hear it for yourself and see if this is who you want to fish with.

9  Thank K H
Pamela4EFM, Manager at Extreme Sport Fishing Maui, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Aloha K H.
Again we apologize for the disappointment of your trip not going out. However, I would like to clear up the fact that Cpt Mason was not "hung over" as you state, but exhausted from working several days in a row, prior to leaving for a holiday. I know this does not excuse his actions of oversleeping, and leaving you stranded on the dock, but we would prefer you not slander our Captain with untruths. Again, we did try our best to rebook the trip for you, and did offer additional options to show our sincere regret about the misfortune.

We can't change what happened, nor can we change your opinion of our company or service.
But our offer still stands, to make right with you should you visit Maui again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

After seeing and hearing lots of good reviews we booked an 8 hour trip with extreme fishing! My partner and I decided to do a shared trip (with strangers) for a really reasonable price. We left around 3:45 am and immediately settled in for a nap because we wouldn't be at the spot for another 2 hours. The boat was extremely comfortable and had one big bed in the bow as well as plenty of couch room to lie down. The cabin was also had a/c to keep us cool! We were woken by the staff with a friendly smile and got straight to fishing. The first hour or so consisted of catching Mahi Mahi with a great numbering system. It worked really well! Everyone on our boat caught a Mahi Mahi each which was a great challenge and heaps of fun. The next 4 hours consisted of trawling for marlin and tuna. As my partner and I do a lot of fishing we understood that no charter can guarantee a fish - moreover a 500 lb marlin - but the crew tried their hardest and made sure it was always fun. We didn't catch anything big but both felt as if we had got more than our money's worth. Especially when we got both of our Mahi Mahi gutted and filleted for us for nothing. All up we got about 23 huge fillets to take back to our group.

Overall 10000/10!

We want to go again and are looking into it.

The only thing to consider is whether you do a private charter or shared. My partner and I got along really well with Ryan and Captin Gene and spent most of our time getting to know them, swapping stories and having lots of laughs. The rest of the people on the boat, althought nice, didn't interact much and probably weren't as excited as us. However
remember every trip is different.

Thanks Ryan and Gene for a fishing trip we will never forget!

Georgia and Nathan

1  Thank Georgie_1005
Reviewed July 20, 2013

So this was my first time sport fishing in Hawaii and there were many charter companies to choose from. I eventually concluded after reading lots of reviews and asking around I found this one standing out from the rest. We booked a day of fishing aboard the "No Problem" with captain Mason and Jimmy. We left the harbor at around 1:30am and our first stop was to catch some bait fish. Then after that we went further out to begin sport fishing and I will say these fish give you a good fight to bring them in. After it was done we we headed back with 18 fish in total. these two guys are very hard working and do everything they can to make it a great time. Overall it was a great day and would recommend to anyone who is looking for a great sport fishing experience.

3  Thank Zachary M
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I booked an 8 hour share sportfishing trip on the No Problem before departing on our 15 day vacation. Pamela, at Extreme Sportfishing, was very helpful in getting me on a trip with a sufficient number of passengers for it to go. As a seasoned sportfisherman with gobs of experience doing multi-day and long range trips out of Southern California, as well as extensive fishing adventures in New Zealand, Baja California and Florida, I was looking for a "hard core" fishing experience in Maui. After scanning the internet for reviews, I decided on No Problem and was certainly not disappointed. Skipper, Mason, and deckhand, Jimmie, worked tirelessly from beginning to end to put us on fish and help the less experienced do well. One "rookie" managed to land his fish of a lifetime, a 171 pound Blue Marlin caught on a live Skipjack Tuna being slow trolled. These guys do much more than just dragging lures around the ocean all day hoping for a blind strike. The catch live bait before departing early, around 2:00 AM, to get on the fishing grounds before grey light. No Problem certainly isn't the fanciest boat in the fleet, but the next time I return to Maui on vacation you can bet it will be the boat I fish on. This trip was definitely time and money very well spent.

2  Thank Carl O