“Star Noodle Lahaina - not to be missed!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Star Noodle

Star Noodle
Ranked #14 of 262 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Thai, Vietnamese, Singaporean
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Serving Fresh House Made Noodles & Asian Specialties.
San Clemente, California
“Star Noodle Lahaina - not to be missed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

If you are reading this review you have likely already heard about Star Noodle. We have made a point to eat here the last two times on Maui having just discovered this place in 2011 - and will make a special effort to come here at least once on every future visit to Maui.

Star Noodle is tucked up the hill away from the busy town of Lahaina and Front Street, intermixed with warehouses and plumbing supply companies as other reviews have pointed out, it is an unusual spot for a restaurant. There is little else around except for industrial buildings. Yet everyday this place commands near one hour wait times (for our 5-person party on a Monday it did). Point being that people make a special effort to come here rather than stumbling upon it due to its well-earned reputation of serving excellent food at decent prices. It is a pretty small place (which explains the long wait times) although comfortable and tastefully done. To avoid the waits, you might want to consider take-out.

On to the food:
1. Steamed Pork Buns - highly recommend. These are what you see first thing when you visit their website (as of Feb. 2014 anyway). Served with Hoisin sauce and hot mustard they are not to be missed. Larger than they might appear on the website as well (3 to an order)
2. Hapa Ramen - Loved it. My wife has been a fan of Pho forever and had high expectations with the Hapa. The pork broth was outstanding.
3. Pad Thai - Came recommended by our server (Zane). Did not dissappoint. May claim it is the best Pad Thai ever tried. I agree that it is high on my list.
4. Lahaina Fried Soup - Star of the night for me. Not actually soup at all but a noodle dish with thick chow funn noodles and ground pork. Slightly salty for my taste that night but I would order again in a second.
5. Singapore Noodles - Generous shrimp, excellent vermicelli

I would also make a point to try the Hitachino Nest Rice Ale along with some of the other non-alcoholic drinks such as the ginger lemonade.

Our server Zane knew the menu well and provided guidance with the menu selections to suit our palates. It is a good idea to order 'family style' so that you get to try several of their outstanding selections. Truth be told there is hardly a bad dish on the menu - which is why this place has such a following and there are always long lines. Reservations are recommended.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ecbatana

• Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
“Not our noodle dream...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Like everyone, we heard so much about Star Noodle so we went when in Maui last week. It was 2pm in the afternoon and we got in right away. The service was relatively slow considered that the place was just half full. We had ramen local saimin, pad thai, ahi avo, & prawn tempura. The ramen in the local saimin was well made, but the broth was too salty and the portion was very small. Ahi tuna was very fresh but lost its natural flavour by being drown in soya sauce (very small portion for $20.) Prawns were fresh but tempura batter was too thick (and two pieces for $12!) Among the four dishes, the pad thai was really the best but the taste was a bit heavy on the "ketchup" side. Overall, it was not our noodle dream. We are from Vancouver Canada and perhaps we are spoiled by having all the authentic Asian cuisines available at reasonable prices.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Canada
“Need to hire new front person”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Star Noodle is usually an outstanding restaurant which my family loves. We always try to eat there when we are in Maui. My kids were tired from the days activity so I decided to order take out. I called the restaurant just after 7 pm and a youngish sounding female answered the phone. I said I would like to place a take out order and she replied "we are not taking take out orders now" and hung up. No sorry or a reason why, just dial tone was the response. First bitter taste from this establishment.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wooski
“Located in an industrial looking neighborhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Off the beaten path, which I think adds to the appeal. The Vietnamese crepes appetizer was one of the best dishes I've ever tasted. I broke off pieces of the crispy shell and wrapped it in lettuce leaves along with the meat mixture, mint leaves, cilantro, and then dribbled the sweet chili sauce. I love the combination of textures and flavors in every bite. The Pad Thai was also good. The chicken yakitori was bland.

• Visited January 2014
Marine on Saint Croix, Minnesota
“Ono”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Delicious food at great prices. You can call ahead for a table of 5 or more, but otherwise wait times often exceed an hour. They will reliably tell you the expected wait time. It is worth the wait. The Ahi Avo amazed with it's lemon pressed oil, it was the best poke we had on the island. I'm a brussel sprout fan, but their preparation excelled. My daughter enjoyed her soba and I loved my pad Thai that included 3 plump, fresh shrimp. We didn't have room for the fried donut dessert, but were told a half order of two donuts was also available for our next trip. We will definitely return and recommend to our friends!