If you are reading this review you have likely already heard about Star Noodle. We have made a point to eat here the last two times on Maui having just discovered this place in 2011 - and will make a special effort to come here at least once on every future visit to Maui.
Star Noodle is tucked up the hill away from the busy town of Lahaina and Front Street, intermixed with warehouses and plumbing supply companies as other reviews have pointed out, it is an unusual spot for a restaurant. There is little else around except for industrial buildings. Yet everyday this place commands near one hour wait times (for our 5-person party on a Monday it did). Point being that people make a special effort to come here rather than stumbling upon it due to its well-earned reputation of serving excellent food at decent prices. It is a pretty small place (which explains the long wait times) although comfortable and tastefully done. To avoid the waits, you might want to consider take-out.
On to the food:
1. Steamed Pork Buns - highly recommend. These are what you see first thing when you visit their website (as of Feb. 2014 anyway). Served with Hoisin sauce and hot mustard they are not to be missed. Larger than they might appear on the website as well (3 to an order)
2. Hapa Ramen - Loved it. My wife has been a fan of Pho forever and had high expectations with the Hapa. The pork broth was outstanding.
3. Pad Thai - Came recommended by our server (Zane). Did not dissappoint. May claim it is the best Pad Thai ever tried. I agree that it is high on my list.
4. Lahaina Fried Soup - Star of the night for me. Not actually soup at all but a noodle dish with thick chow funn noodles and ground pork. Slightly salty for my taste that night but I would order again in a second.
5. Singapore Noodles - Generous shrimp, excellent vermicelli
I would also make a point to try the Hitachino Nest Rice Ale along with some of the other non-alcoholic drinks such as the ginger lemonade.
Our server Zane knew the menu well and provided guidance with the menu selections to suit our palates. It is a good idea to order 'family style' so that you get to try several of their outstanding selections. Truth be told there is hardly a bad dish on the menu - which is why this place has such a following and there are always long lines. Reservations are recommended.