“Excellent”

Star Noodle
Ranked #14 of 274 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Serving Fresh House Made Noodles & Asian Specialties.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A fairly new place and kinda hard to find, but well worth it. It might take a few visits to get the feel of the place, but each visit is an adventure in new tastes.

1  Thank TLK1154
Write a ReviewReviews (3,219)

Reviewed May 4, 2013

So we had to wait over an hour to get in, so I would recommend either getting there early or late, or with a reservation for 5 or more people.

The pork belly buns, the pad thai and the Hapa ramen were all big hits for us.

I'd definitely go back, but maybe a little earlier - by the time we were seated, we were so hungry!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Star Noodle is an affordable place to eat in Lahaina. Take out noodles and go to the beach or whale watching during the season. The service is excellent and the setting island style.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I ate an early dinner/late lunch here on a day trip to Lahaina from Wailea. We went on my parents recommendation (they ate here twice on their trip to Maui). Even when I read some reviews on trip advisor, no one ever mentioned that you will drive through an industrial type area to get to this place. I was expecting it to be in downtown Lahaina, or some place more touristy. It's not a bad location, I just was definitely convinced until we actually saw the restaurant that the GPS on my phone had us lost. The service and food were very good. We had a couple appetizers and split the pad thai. It's a family style type dining experience... although the pad thai was so good I could have eaten the entire plate myself! I'm glad we ate here, but I'm not sure it would be on my do-over list if we return to Maui.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was most looking forward to checking out Star Noodle during our visit to Maui. Many good reviews, the promise of house-made noodles, and of course, I'm a big Top Chef fan. Unfortunately, I and the rest of our party were less than impressed with the food.

Relative to other restaurants on Maui, Star Noodle is good value for money. However, the portion sizes were a bit on the small side (and I'm Canadian!) and overall tastiness of the food was average.

- Pork buns: best dish we had and certainly lives up the hype. Pillowy soft buns with tender pork and just the right amount of hoisin.
- Pohole salad: the fiddlehead ferns were undercooked and the seasoning for this salad was standard Chinese. Nothing special.
- Namul: everyone has their own recipe/version of kim chee but this one was a bit anemic. The garlic flavour was good but that was about it. Not enough spiciness and I don't think they fermented the kim chee long enough. The menu description also notes ogonori as a component but I think they actually used kombu instead (which should have been in the pohole salad), which was pretty fishy.
- Chicken karage: a miniscule portion of fried chicken (palm sized, sliced into 5-6 strips). Definitely overpriced for what you get. I would not order this again.
- Singapore noodles: a bit on the bland side and one note. Also seemed overmixed (or the noodles were overcooked) as many of the rice vermicelli noodles were broken/extremely short.
- Garlic noodles: too salty and nothing spectacular about the flavours. If you've eaten fried noodles at a Chinese restaurant before, you've already tried (perhaps a better version) of this dish.
- Pad Thai: the other highlight of this meal. Well seasoned with a good balance of saltiness, sweetness, and acidity. Again, it seemed like this dish was overmixed or the noodles overcooked because many of the rice noodles were broken/very short.

Saw several customers with large take-out orders and no logo bag included. If this is no longer offered, they should remove the offer from their website.

I would consider giving Star Noodle another shot the next time I'm in town. There must be good reasons for all the praise pre-Top Chef the restaurant received as well as why Sheldon was voted one of the top rising chefs by Food & Wine magazine. However, if the food we had is indicative of the direction of Star Noodle post-Top Chef, he may need to get back in the kitchen fix whatever has gone wrong.

Been to Star Noodle? Share your experiences!