“Surprisingly disappointed”

Star Noodle
Ranked #13 of 274 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Serving Fresh House Made Noodles & Asian Specialties.
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was most looking forward to checking out Star Noodle during our visit to Maui. Many good reviews, the promise of house-made noodles, and of course, I'm a big Top Chef fan. Unfortunately, I and the rest of our party were less than impressed with the food.

Relative to other restaurants on Maui, Star Noodle is good value for money. However, the portion sizes were a bit on the small side (and I'm Canadian!) and overall tastiness of the food was average.

- Pork buns: best dish we had and certainly lives up the hype. Pillowy soft buns with tender pork and just the right amount of hoisin.
- Pohole salad: the fiddlehead ferns were undercooked and the seasoning for this salad was standard Chinese. Nothing special.
- Namul: everyone has their own recipe/version of kim chee but this one was a bit anemic. The garlic flavour was good but that was about it. Not enough spiciness and I don't think they fermented the kim chee long enough. The menu description also notes ogonori as a component but I think they actually used kombu instead (which should have been in the pohole salad), which was pretty fishy.
- Chicken karage: a miniscule portion of fried chicken (palm sized, sliced into 5-6 strips). Definitely overpriced for what you get. I would not order this again.
- Singapore noodles: a bit on the bland side and one note. Also seemed overmixed (or the noodles were overcooked) as many of the rice vermicelli noodles were broken/extremely short.
- Garlic noodles: too salty and nothing spectacular about the flavours. If you've eaten fried noodles at a Chinese restaurant before, you've already tried (perhaps a better version) of this dish.
- Pad Thai: the other highlight of this meal. Well seasoned with a good balance of saltiness, sweetness, and acidity. Again, it seemed like this dish was overmixed or the noodles overcooked because many of the rice noodles were broken/very short.

Saw several customers with large take-out orders and no logo bag included. If this is no longer offered, they should remove the offer from their website.

I would consider giving Star Noodle another shot the next time I'm in town. There must be good reasons for all the praise pre-Top Chef the restaurant received as well as why Sheldon was voted one of the top rising chefs by Food & Wine magazine. However, if the food we had is indicative of the direction of Star Noodle post-Top Chef, he may need to get back in the kitchen fix whatever has gone wrong.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,224)

Reviewed April 29, 2013

In a nutshell I would say that Star Noodles is good but inconsistent. It’s certainly good because my wife and I ended up there 3 times, during our week on Maui, to try different menu items. However, the food is inconsistent. On each occasion, we ordered the Hapa Ramen and each time the soup was different. The first time the soup was excellent- rich and flavorful. The second time, it was watery and the final time, it was in between the two. We also tried the steamed pork buns and the roasted mushrooms, which were both okay but not exceptional. The jumbo tempura shrimps were truly jumbo, but I prefer a lighter batter. Then again, the Hot n’Sour noodles were pretty tasty. Of particular note were the daily drink specials that were infused with yuzu.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Go for the food. If you want ocean front, don't go. This place rocked and was probably better than the last time we were there, last year. steamed pork buns were great. Karaage Chicken: amazing. Favorite of the appys: Pohole Salad. YUM. fiddle head ferns with onion and a great sesame dressing. Amazingly amazing. Noodles, next. Yup, we ate a lot. Too good not to. We shared Hot and Sour and the Garlic. If this place was on front street, it'd cost twice as much. As it is, it's a steal for some of the best food you can get here. No, it's not Lahaina Grill, Merrimans or Mama's. Doesn't need to be since it completely excels at what it does. Great food, great prices. Can't wait to come back again. Oh, our server? Jessica. She da bomb!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We watch a show called Top Chef and the chef who owns this restaurant got 3rd on a recent season. It's also a type of food we usually enjoy eating, Thai, pho or Asian fusion cuisine are something we eat lat east once a week.

I'll caveat the review by saying we did get our order to go which may have impacted at least one of the dishes.

We called ahead and were told it would be 30-40 minutes for our food. We arrived 45 minutes later and the place was packed and there was mass confusion at the counter. They'd lost track of orders and apparently had given at least one order to the wrong person. After waiting another 15 minutes we eventually got our food.

The miso salmon was easily the best thing we ordered. Great preparation and flavor. The Hot n Sour noodle was very good and definitely had a kick to it.

The steamed pork buns were just okay. The pork had good flavor but there wasn't nearly enough sauce to moisten the entire bun. This is the item I wonder how much better it would have been eaten at the restaurant. Maybe there was some sauce that would have been served on the side or maybe on the drive back the sauce just soaked into the bun and dried out.

The Singapore noodles was just bland. There was something similar to a curry sauce but it didn't have much flavor at all.

Unfortunately they were out of the Ahi belly which is the dish I was most looking forward to trying.

It's hard to say if we'd go back. I'd be willing to give the food another try if it wasn't so busy or if they took reservations. Based on what we tried I wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes to try it again and I definitely wouldn't get it to go again.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Loved, loved, loved this place. We had the Pad Thai, pork buns, garlic noodles and the pork, potatoes and egg hash. The Pas Thai was some of the best I ever had. The pork buns were so soft and light, but the pork and potato hash (I can't remember the name of it) was OUTSTANDING!! The pork had a crust on it and the flavor just exploded in my mouth. It was by far the best pork dish I've ever had. I could have sat there all day trying everything on the menu.