“There IS an ocean view! Go in the afternoon for a good table.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Star Noodle

Star Noodle
Ranked #15 of 262 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Thai, Vietnamese, Singaporean
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Serving Fresh House Made Noodles & Asian Specialties.
Iowa
“There IS an ocean view! Go in the afternoon for a good table.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

At 4:30 on a Wednesday in January we went to Star Noodle and found the small restaurant less than half full. We got a nice table by the window with a good if distant view of the ocean. We could see whales splashing and spouting. Our Austrailian waitress was helpful with food descriptions and suggestions, and she pointed out about 25 minutes later that the place was full of locals and visitors, and a line was forming. She said we had come at just the right time. Reservations are accepted only for parties of five or more.

I would have loved to try more menu items than we did. Everything was so flavorful! The concept of the restaurant is exactly the way we like to eat, smaller plates, shared, served in succession. We started with the Ahi Avo, perfect chunks of raw ahi and creamy avocado drizzled with lemon olive oil. I think there were scallions and maybe something else, I just remember that perfect ahi and avocado combination with the lemon olive oil really bringing out the flavors.

Then we had to get the pork buns that everyone raves about. They were very good with the light chewy steamed buns and the rich pork belly and cool cucumber. But I was a bit disappointed here because I recalled the stellar pork belly we had a few days earlier at Pacific’O. These pork buns could not touch the gooey, meaty, braised perfection of that dish! Still good, but I was spoiled by Pacific’O's pork belly.

Next we wanted a noodle dish and had a hard time deciding which. Lahaina Fried Soup, a uniquely local dish, was not quite spicy enough for our mood. Hot and Sour Soup recommended by our waitress looked delicious with fresh herbs and more spice. And the Pad Thai, which friends love so much, is a dish that I enjoy in all its forms. I love rice noodles! I was leaning to the Hot and Sour, but husband wanted the Pad Thai and I couldn’t complain about the choice. It was definitely some of the best Pad Thai we have eaten. It was a big serving and we couldn’t stop eating until the last noodle was slurped up! Still, I would have liked some fresh herbs added.

The menu was a simple sheet of heavy paper and I was hoping if Chef Sheldon was there, to get his autograph on one, so asked our waitress about him. She said he had headed over to Oahu for a few days with family, then on to Seattle for more Top Chef filming. We returned to our hotel that night to turn on the TV for the only time on our trip, to see Sheldon win the "restaurant wars" segment.

Forcing ourselves to order a dessert for the sake of restaurant research to pass on to all of our TA friends (wink), we ordered a trio of homemade ice creams and very good French press Maui moka coffee. The blueberry lavender was my favorite ice cream, followed by the oatmeal cookie gelato and the third was some version of chocolate. They were all delicious, though we could not quite finish.
:-)
Star Noodle was definitely a new favorite for us, and it was still good even if Chef Sheldon wasn’t cooking for us. I think we would have enjoyed it even more a little earlier in the afternoon, maybe 3:00 . Though we weren’t rushed at all, I would have liked to ask them to slow down the delivery of the courses a little bit. With people waiting for tables, we really couldn’t do that.

The Ahi Avo was my favorite dish of those we ordered. I had read about an Ahi belly dish that we were hoping to try but it wasn’t on the menu. I asked, after we were already full, and our waitress said, yes, it was available, but not on the menu. ***So, once again, I am reminded that if you want something you don’t see on the menu. Ask for it. It seems that many Maui restaurants do serve off-menu items. ***

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
Yuba City, California USA
“Good but not as good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Third time to this restaurant and have noted a bit of a decline in quality. The garlic noodle dish used to be their "Star" dish, now it is rather mediocre. Service was excellent.

Visited March 2013
Kenai, Alaska
“Everyone loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our family--including 3 kids aged 4-9 went here for lunch based on the recommendations of locals. I was skeptical because it didn't seem like a great place for kids, but it turned out wonderfully! We went too close to lunch time- around 1:30 and had to wait about 30 minutes- we actually went to the shopping center down the hill and came back. I later heard going between 2:30-4:30 is better. The food was incredibly fresh-and there is a lot of variety- spicy to mild, really interesting flavors. My older kids tried a bunch of things they'd never eaten and the waitress was very kind. She offered to bring my youngest a bowl of "plain noodles"- ramen in broth- without me even asking (they were great, by the way- best "plain noodles" I have had). My kids were begging to go back again, and had we found it earlier in the trip, I am sure we would have.

Iowa
“Good food,fun place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stopped in here for lunch on a Thursday at noon and did not have to wait. Food was pretty good and moderately priced. The pad Thia was our favorite. We also tried the siamin noodles and steamed pork buns.I liked those but they werent my wife's favorite.We had one that was a little under-done. The service was good and the food came quickly the day we were there.

Mesquite, Nevada
“Best Meal we had on Maui”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stopped in for lunch on a weekday on recommendations of family that had been there just days before and are happy we drove up to Lahaina to find it. It is located away from the touristy area of main Lahaina town, on top of a hill behind an industrial complex. Don't let its location deter you. It is new and beautifully decorated restaurant (nice modern feel to it). Service is fast and all the staff are friendly and very helpful with suggestions on what to try. Since we were on our way to a whale watching trip on a smaller raft, we opted to keep it light and shared their steamed pork bun appetizer (unlike the Chinese Char So Ba, these are a generous slice of a very nice roast pork in a folded over piece of steamed bun, with cucumber slices and hoisin sauce - three in each order) and the Singapore noodles (rice noodles with chicken, shrimp and veggies with a curry flavor - not spicy hot unless you ask for it that way). Both were excellent and just the right amount of food for the two of us. With tax and tip it was right around $30 which for Maui is excellent.
Too bad we were not staying in that area of Maui as we would have liked to have gone back for more - it was really, really good. Since we were the first ones in the door when they opened up, we got window seats and had a nice view of the ocean.
This was definitely the best meal we had on this 13 day trip. Highly recommend it!

• Visited March 2013

Been to Star Noodle? Share your experiences!