“Great prices, Really fun food”
Review of Star Noodle

Star Noodle
Ranked #15 of 268 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Serving Fresh House Made Noodles & Asian Specialties.
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband didn't really want to go here --- it was our last night in Maui and he wanted a more chi chi /memorable sort of experience like the Lahaina Grille. I was sunburnt and a little worn out and wasn't up for all the fuss and dressing up. I was delighted that the 1+ hour wait at Lahaina Grille convinced him to try Star Noodle.

We were quoted a 45 minute wait but it turned into a mere 15 minute wait, which certainly put hubby in a shiny, happy mood. Crowded into a small table in the back, we promptly ordered enough food to last us the 12 hours of travel ahead of us --- kim chi started was nicely hot but didn't sear our taste buds off.

The Vietnamese crepe was pretty unusual and while I liked the crepe itself, the filling was a sorta bland blend of ground pork and shrimp in some kind of white sauce. You put a piece of the eggy, crisp crepe and some of the filling into a leaf of greens (like a lettuce wrap) then add sauces and such on it. Without sriacha or thai sweet chili sauce it was too bland for me, but I had a couple of roll ups after amping up the flavor.

The steamed pork buns were awesome -- more like a sandwich and not the kind found at dim sum, they had a small line of hoisin sauce and a few sweet, thinly sliced pickles on the bottom. The Singapore Noodles were super good and full of curry flavor and tender chicken, and the Hapa Ramen soup was so pretty we almost hated to break the poached egg on top and ruin its looks. Hubby gave me a frowny-face when I ordered it, being somewhat scarred from eating too many college-era ramen noodles on the cheap. I was sure this wasn't the same thing, and in fact it was more like the pork and ramen noodle bowls I had while visiting my daughter and her Disney friends in Hong Kong the year she took a gap year and worked for Hong Kong Disneyland.

We did not have the Pad Thai, but the people next to us did and it looked incredibly good and the people looked like they were ready to lick the plate if we hadn't been watching. Also didn't try any of their fruity drinks/cocktails, but the people on the other side of us did and they both gave their (multiple) drinks a huge "Yum".

It was obvious that some one has taken a lot of care and thought into planning the menu. We loved our meal, and for $40 for the two of us, for such and interesting and filling meal, we are sure this was our best value meal while on Maui.

1  Thank cbl41

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Food and service was fantastic. The waiters are friendly and make great recommendations. Every dish seemed to offer unique flavors, came out hot and fresh. A great break from the typical ono and mahi options that are offered at every restaurant. The bartender brought out 3 saki's for us to try and the dessert was PERFECT.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Our first visit. Staff went above and beyond to explain and recommend. Food was right-sized, reasonably priced, quick and delicious. Again, super wait staff.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We waited about 90 minutes to get a seat at the bar in this restaurant. The food was very good, but not worth a 90 minute wait. Definitely make reservations and be sure to order the pad thai.

1  Thank Carrie G
Reviewed December 2, 2012

First off, Star Noodle has been a staple for our last three Maui trips. The food and prices are very good and by the reviews here others obviously agree. I'd suggest going for a late lunch or early dinner. Usually around 2pm - 3pm there is not much of a wait. They'll suggest you eat "family" style because they wildly have no control of when the food comes out. We opted to order an appetizer and four separate entrees (no family style). The highly recommended steam pork buns came out almost immediately followed shortly by one entree. The second arrived maybe 10 minutes later. The third one about 20 minutes later and the the fourth one finally 25 minutes even later. Needless to say, the first two were long done by the time the last one came. Can't say they don't warn your. The food is worth it as we will make it a point to come back each trip.