“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2014

4 of us went to Fu Lin tonight before going to a show. Luckily, we made reservations. We were not told that half the restaurant would be closed due to catering a very large party. Service was poor. We felt badly for our waiter who had to run around serving gosh knows how many other tables. But our food came out luke warm. The sauces were heavy. Ths shrimp and walnuts were minus the nuts. The Hot Sour soup was very good. But the mu shu pancakes did not fold and we ended up eating the pork dish without the pancakes. All in all it was a very disappointing
meal.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The food & service has improved since we were here 2 yrs ago. Pineapple coconut shrimp were very good. The chicken chow mein was full of chicken, vegetables & yummy noodles. The orange chicken was good, but the sauce was heavy. We'd return for another meal!

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Waiter upsells dishes. After I ordered my dish, he asked me "White or Fried Rice?" I didn't care for rice, but if he insisted, I agreed to "fried" assuming it came with my order. Instead, I got charged an additional $12 for a whole dish! Sneaky sneaky!

Was a slow day too, so it may just be how they do things when business is slow, so to all you Honeymooners, be careful not to agree to anything other than your order and ask them to specify if it comes with the dish or will you be charged for it.

Felt totally ripped off leaving that place. Not a nice feeling.

3  Thank JJny82
Reviewed January 22, 2014

...and Fu Lin, while not truly great, is a cut above the other two "real" Chinese restaurants on the island. Neither of the other two appeals much to me these days, although one of them, China Boat, was once a "fave," but I find the fare offered at Fu Lin more to my liking now. (I've been a Maui resident for 30+ years, moving here from San Francisco. I ate at a lot of restaurants in Chinatown over the years, and Fu Lin might just make the top 30% there, but it's the best we have (in my opinion), and we make do with that. (My wife and I often have two char siu appetizers with a fried rice variety, and that makes for a really good meal for two.) The weakness there is the service. Actually, it's very friendly, but unless you're content with a long, lingering dining experience (read "excessive"), try someplace else.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We ate here last night. There was a bit of a wait, but we were seated which indicated we would be served soon. While sitting there for 15 minutes we sent two of our party to check out another place. Finally we got to order drinks and apps. Two of our party wanted noodle soup, but oh they're out. They brought 2 drinks of the 6 and ran off. The whole night went like this. Sure, they were busy and understaffed, so don't sit us if you can't serve us. the one positive, the pot stickers and coconut shirmp were good. The other food was bad. Oh, and no steamed rice.