“A great surprise have some Chinese food in Maui”

Fu Lin Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #185 of 264 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Bend, OR
“A great surprise have some Chinese food in Maui”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This restaurant is across from one of our favorite restaurants in Maui and for years we would just walk by it. I think because I don't think of having Chinese food in Maui and the name was kind of goofy. Anyway we finally gave it a shot for lunch and wow I wish we had been there before. The food is extremely fresh and healthy not the usual over sauced, over oiled stuff you get in a Chinese restaurant. I have dined in China and this is as authentic as you will find.

Regarding other reviews of service I cannot comment. Our service was good but the restaurant was slow. My only comment is the food here is outstanding.

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Poor Service; Bad Attitudes”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I had a terrible experience at this restaurant. We wanted to go to Star Noodle but they had an hour wait and it was already 8 pm so we decided to go to Fu Lin since not many people were there. When we first walked in the waiter handed us some water, (no smiles, nothing, just a scowl etched into his face) typically I wouldn't stress this much but it was like a first sign that this was a poor service restaurant, the water tastes funny, as if they have an ice machine that they don't clean very often, I know for a fact that these need to be cleaned weekly to meet health regulations and the taste of this water clearly wasn't up to that. Anyways, our table of 7 ordered all noodles, after we ordered the restaurant started filling up, (I don't know how that happened at 8 pm, kinda late to eat dinner..) and we watched as all the other guests, including a family of 8 got their food before us. We waited an hour until we finally asked the waiter what was taking so long, and he said he'd check, 10 minutes later he came back and said they just put the food on the oven, 5 minutes later he came back with the food. 5 minutes to prepare 7 dishes and a 1 hour 15 minute total wait? It's outrageous, however, on the bright side, the food did taste quite good. My advice? Order at least 2 dishes on the more expensive side or the waiter won't treat you well. My experience at this restaurant was terrible and I won't be coming back unless it's the last restaurant on earth or that waiter gets fired.

2 Thank Lolve
Norcal
“Very good food but service could be better”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

After nearly three weeks of having fish prepared in various ways, including with capers and a burre blanc sauce, with a baked macadamia nut crust, seared with s spicy rub or with a tropical salsa at many of the restaurants on Maui and Oahu, we walked into this restaurant for a simple meal.
It was early (a little before 5PM) and we checked the menu before being seated. The wait staff was just finishing their meal.... so we waited several minutes while they cleaned up. We were one of the first diners that evening.
We ordered a seafood soup, a steamed fish filet with soy and ginger plus a garlic eggplant dish. The fish was perfectly cooked, moist and not dry, it had a delicate taste with the soy and ginger balanced perfectly. The eggplant was tasty and was not overpowered by the garlic. The soup was also good.
Service was attentive, although our waiter sometimes would disappear at times for 3-5 minute intervals....
In spite of this, we plan to return when we are on Maui again.

Seattle, Washington
“Nothing special.........”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We thought this might be a great choice after looking at the reviews from Maui happenings magazines, but found on our visit it was just average. Although some of the restaurant was open air we sat towards back and it was quite warm and stuffy. We were a party of 6 and everyone ordered individual meals. Although nothing was inedible it was just average and not as special as the ads were touting, if you are looking for ambiance there is probably better places to choose, I probably would not go back, prices were high but then almost all our meals we ate out other then Maui tacos were high...even so......I was un- impressed.....,

• Visited May 2012
Lahaina, HI
“Who you Fu Lin with your bad reviews? This is NOT Panda Express, ORDER SOMETHING AUTHENTIC!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Orange Chicken and Won Tons should never be your "GO TO" items when entering a restaurant like Fu Lin. If ever you get to meet the owner, she is amazing. Let her decide what to order for you. She knows her product and will bring out her favorites. It is amazing how many people think Chinese food should be cheap. Rice holds high value in their culture and so should its price be on the menu. This isn't Panda Express! So if you're expecting your experience to be gourmet sit down version of Panda Express DON'T BOTHER GOING!

Back to the food - My personal favorites would have to be their version of the Honey Walnut Shrimp. Their Chow Fun is great! Everything else I've had their was suggested and selected by the staff. I'll be going back sooner than later!

• Visited December 2011