“Consistently good dive outfit”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Extended Horizons

Extended Horizons
Book In Advance
More Info
$129.71*
and up
Maui Scuba Diving Introductory Lesson
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui Extended Horizons Scuba offers tours and lessons on Maui and Lanai. Established in 1983, we are unique because our instructor/guides have extensive environmental training, we are the only commercial boat on Maui running on 100% biodiesel, We are the only dive shop running on 100% solar, and we helped found and fund the Day Use Mooring Program on Maui which prevents anchor damage and creates and maintains moorings for the State of Hawaii for the public and private sector. And we love diving!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Carrollton, Texas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Consistently good dive outfit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is our third trip Maui that we have done a 2 tank dive with Extended Horizons. As we have experienced on past trips, this is a well organized and efficient outfit. Dive masters give extensive briefings about the dive procedures, the dive site and things we might see during the dive. Due to poor vis we could not dive any of the sites further out from shore on Lanai such as Second Cathedral, our favorite. Shark fin and lighthouse were very close to the shore line and adequate dives. A night dive at Mala wharf was good too. The bagels with peanut butter or cream cheese and fresh fruit is the perfect snack between dives. We look forward to diving with them again on our next trip to Maui.

2 Thank farish2

Alberta
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 274 helpful votes
“Smaller can be better - a quality diving experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

As a newly certified diver doing first trip to Maui, I did some homework via Tripadvisor and other sources to plan my diving experiences here. Considering that I was staying in the Lahaina area, and based upon a variety of inputs, I decided to go with Extended Horizons Scuba, and it worked out very well.

I started with a beach dive to help me get a feel of proper weighting, diving in 3 mm suit here versus the 7 mm when I certified in the cold mountain lakes of Canada, and being ready for boat dives to come. This was a great decision, and an approach I recommend to others. Although there was only one diver (me), Keith was still prepared to take me out. We went to the Lahaina Mala boat dock one afternoon. I thought this would be ok but nothing exceptional - how wrong I was!!

Keith did a great job in getting me checked out and oriented, and provided a number of useful tips. The diving, only a short distance from shore, was exceptional - much of the old Mala pier collapsed decades ago and now provides a great home for a variety of sealife. Keith did a great job in pointing out many different finny critters, and we saw eels, a squadron of 10+ rays swirled past and around us, turtles, swam under and around pillars, etc. So this turned out to be much more than a simple checkout dive.

The next day I was up early for a trip to Lanai with Valerie, Jenna, and captain Aaron. Small group of around ten of us divers, which is typical and group max. Mix of experiences, but all oriented to a small group experience, friendly, responsible, no "macho dive cowboy types". We did two tank dives, including one of the famed Cathedrals. Good focus on moving slowly, closely observing the wildlife and the context of what we were observing, I had my own gear, the rental gear provided to others looked in great shape. Mandatory to use a rental dive computer ($7.50) if you do not have your own.

Between the two dives we had a nice mid-morning bagels and fruit breakfast break, water, juice, etc. Boat has a decent head (bathroom).

You are split into two dive groups, one group is for those who want to be part of the photo program with Valerie, who for $65 will take photos of you, and the experiences encountered during the dives; and another group with Jenna for those who opt out of the photos. Both Valie and Jenne did a great job with the groups, and the diving was spectacular.

I am already working to schedule future dives with these folks while in Maui!

Mahalo Keith, Valerie, Jenna and Aaron!!

If you found this review useful to you kindly click on Helpful? link below.

Safe and happy diving!!

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Western_Traveller
nyc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“scuba diving certification”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I did the scuba diving certification with Extended Horizons, with Keith as our instructor, on Sep 14 to 16. It was the best thing we have done during our visit to Maui. I have equalization problems and Keith is the most patient instructor I've ever meet; he told me to take my time, no rush, we have time, and slowly he helped me to improve my diving skills. The diving sites he took us were awesome, but the last day of diving was the best. We started with learning the skills in calm waters, and after that it was to enjoy the view that the shores dives offers you. We were lucky enough to see and have pictures with turtles, butterfly fishes, stingrays and even a couple of whitetail reef sharks (beyond our dreams). After the certification, the company was so nice to gave us a discount for a deep diving to Lanai (First Cathedral) . The view under the water there is amazing!!, and in our trip back we saw dolphins playing around our boat. I strongly recommend this company, and especially if you are doing the certification pick Keith he will guide you step by step to feel comfortable under the water and to be able to enjoy the environment that surrenders you :)

London, Ohio
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“great group of people, great dives”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

We dove two days with Extended Horizons. Captain Aaron, Jack, Jenna, and Victoria were great.
They were very knowledgeable and informative. They knew the aquatic life very well, where able to find some great things to look at, and knew the reefs like the back of their hand. They also let you wander and explore and did not push you to keep moving.

I also like that they are very safety conscious and yet at the same time, did everything they could to extend my bottom time

They had bagels and peanut butter and fruit for the surface interval which is fantastic. So many places offer sweets and other sugary foods. This was a nice healthy alternative that stuck with you.

Their boat is a little smaller than other shops, which I don’t mind as it limits the number of people, but it can make the ride home a little rougher.

When I return to Maui, I will be diving them exclusively.

My only negative comment is that they require you to use a computer and if you don’t have one you have to rent one. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice to know, beforehand.

This is one of several reviews I have written after our two week trip to Hawaii
I have also posted reviews on the following:
Hotels: Outrigger on the beach = Waikiki, Shertaon Keahou on Hawaii, and the Westin on Maui
Restaurants: Ted’s Bakery on O’ahu, Fabiani’s on Maui, Beach Bums Grille on Maui
Attractions/Excursions: Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head on O’ahu, Mauna Kea, Black Sand Beach, Kilauea, Manta Ray night dive, and snorkeling with the Dolphins on Hawaii. Maui Dreams Dive charter, Extended Horizons Dive charter and Maui Sunriders.

raleigh, nc
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Great beginner shore dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I did a shore dive at Mala Pier with Extended Horizons last week. Everything about the experience was great. We dove once before, and were given exactly the right amount of instruction/supervision and freedom. We loved the one-on-one instruction and friendly attitude.

The dive itself was great. It's an easy entry/exit that's much quicker & less intimidating than a boat dive for beginners. We saw tons of turtles, fish, nice coral, and some white-tip reef sharks. We had plenty of time underwater.

We'd definitely use them again if we're ever back in Maui.