“Restaurant at the resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pulehu

Pulehu
Reserve with OpenTable
Pulehu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 262 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Pulehu, an Italian Grill, presents traditional Italian cuisine with a local sustainable twist. Overlooking the koi pond gardens of The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas, the resort's talented team of chefs partner with local farmers and growers to offer only the freshest ingredients that Maui has to offer. This 6-year Maui No Ka 'Oi 'Aipono Award winning restaurant is also known for its vibrant and thoughtful wine list. Complimentary valet parking available.
“Restaurant at the resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Wanted to try Pulehu because it is at the Westin where we were staying. We had the three course special which was nice...lasagna for me and spaghetti and meatballs for my husband. Portions were large. The wine list was extensive. The service was lacking....our server was uninterested in assisting us.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank ADolores
markgleason, Manager at Pulehu, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Aloha ADolores,
Mahalo for your feedback regarding your dinner, I am very happy that you enjoyed the food. I am concerned, however, about the service you had mentioned as lackluster. Please share any further details as guest observations are valuable tools to shape and train our associates for ongoing development. I thank you for your time and whenever it is convenient for you it is much appreciated. I hope you enjoyed your stay with us and wish you many happy returns!
Mahalo,
Mark

Auckland
“Not sure where to begin….train wreck!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We are huge users of trip advisor and pretty much check ratings on most places before we choose a place to eat…well what a surprise, after such rave reviews to have such a bad experience at Pulehu!! We are staying at the Westin, so were happy that one of the 'in-house' restaurants had received so many accolades and awards, & decided we'd make a booking. When we got to the restaurant the hostess said she couldn't find our booking, then a manager came over and said who did we speak to? We told him we didn't ask the person's name… he said he could seat us, but we'd have to be out by 7:30pm, it was 5:45, so we declined, as we didn't want to gobble down our dinner, anyway, we were then told we'd have to wait - after 15 minutes, they came and got us and we were seated in the extreme REAR of the restaurant, away from all of the nice views. Ok, we're all still smiling at this point, only just. Then the food, grissini & dips - complimentary, not anything special. Usually, with these prices you'd receive some olive oil and fresh bread. For appetizer, I had a caesar salad, awful. My husband had the beet salad, it had teeny tiny cubes of beet, not many at that, he was not at all impressed. My son ordered calamari, instead of the customary rings, these were giant calamari sticks served in it must be said served in what looked like an upside party hat, that precariously tipped over whenever you tried to utilize the accompanying sauces, however, this was our fave of the three starters. Next the mains, scallops were served in what tasted like canned tomato soup sauce, the scallops were very fresh (all 3) but the sauce completely ruined it, and the supposed risotto was not risotto at all but israeli couscous, & hardly any at all, and all buried under that sauce, HORRIBLE. My son ordered the short rib, his favorite at most restaurants, this one was either so old, or had been so over braised that the texture had become grainy and no longer pleasant, his polenta was supposedly cheese polenta, I had a taste very very bland. My other son ordered a pizza, his usual staple, but it had SO much cheese on it, he could hardly eat it. He was gagging and choking, and I though he was exaggerating until I had a bite, YUCK! My husbands Mahi-mahi was the best main by far, it had some flavor and was cooked nicely. I will add here that nothing was Italian in taste AT ALL!! We eat Italian food regularly, this was not it. Dessert was a complete joke, panna cotta, was solid as a rock made of cornstarch or so much gelatin, that it just stood there, like an inedible monolith, we couldn't eat it. My husband's so-called tiramisu was nothing close to any tiramisu I had ever experienced, it was more like a supermarket sponge birthday cake, no coffee, no chocolate, no taste, a perfectly miserable end to a complete FIASCO of a dinner.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JayEm66
markgleason, Manager at Pulehu, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Aloha JayEm66,
Mahalo for joining us for dinner at Pulehu. I apologize for your experience while here. I have forwarded your feedback to the concierge team to ensure reservations are taken and noted, especially since most nights we are completely booked until late in the evening. We try our best to accommodate guests that are outside our reservation book and unfortunately the table in the back was the only one available with the latest turn time to not affect other diners. With your menu choices, I have spoken to our Chef and culinary team about your observations. Our servers are empowered to replace items if they are not satisfactory, and work hard to please our guests with seasonal, local dishes that meet our guests' taste. We want to make sure you enjoy the full experience while dining at Pulehu and I'd love to welcome you back to Pulehu, find dishes that suit you, and turn your experience around. Again, my apologies, and please don't hesitate to contact me with any further questions or observations.
Mahalo,
Mark
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great island-Italian fusion; top wine list”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Excellent food and service. Recommend reservations. I was pleased to see that they featured top California wines and not just Italian wine. They won a Wine Spectator award for their list. We actually ate here twice because it was so good. Favorites were crab stuffed prawns with creamy pancetta risotto, scallops, and their chicken piccata was the best I have ever had. Also, the earlier you get there, the more likely you'll get a seat by the beautiful koi pond with peekaboo ocean view.

1 Thank Patrick H
Sonoma
“Mama Mia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Over the top Italian food with an island flare. Wait staff outstanding and an outstanding wine selection both by the glass and the bottle

Ottawa, Canada
“Very good Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is located at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort. As an owner at this resort, we have been here many times. The restaurant has improved significantly over the last few years. Now, we look forward to a meal here.

The food and the ambience were very good, the service was excellent and the prices were reasonable. If you are in the mood for some very good Italian food, this is the place to go.

2 Thank jphupe