“I had a blast!”

Top Shot Spearfishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With locations on Maui and Big Island, Top Shot Spearfishing is proud to offer the most unique and unforgettable spearfishing excursion in Hawaii. Our professional spearfishing guides train on safety, speargun control, freediving form, breathing techniques, fish identification, and many other techniques that will have you spearing fish quickly and safely. We are proud to focus our efforts on removing invasive fish from Hawaii's reefs and we are confident that your spearfishing excursion with Top Shot Spearfishing will be the experience of a lifetime!
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Went to spearfish maui without and expectations. What I left with was a knowledge for sprearfishing and a adventure I will always remember. Our guides were great, they would babysit you if you needed it and or give you your space if that's what you wanted. I Don't have a bad thing to say.

I would however recommend putting sunscreen on the backs of your legs.! Ouch!

1  Thank Dustindiver4

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Spearfish Maui ROCKS!! Get ready to have the time of your life. These guys - Chris John & CJ are salt of the earth guys. Respectful, patient, courteous and very informative. First time spearfishing for myself and my son (14). John spent most of the day in shallower water with us to "break us in" and when we were comfortable, we swam a bit deeper to increase the challenge. After the day was over, John fired up the BBQ and cooked the catch of the day. For the second trip, we went to the "honey hole". Never knew there could be so many fish in one place. This second trip was for the memory books. I asked to see a shark. We spent 2 hrs spearing while 3 whitetip reef sharks circled below. BLOWN AWAY!! I've fished and hunted my whole life but THIS was the experience of a lifetime. Nothing says predator like holding your breath, sinking below the surface and waiting for an unsuspecting fish to come in range. Also, I know there negative reviews about spearfishing but THESE guys are very respectful in every way. They are not careless and nothing was wasted. They will cater to every skill & comfort level from spearing in 6ft of water to 40 ft with whitetip reef sharks. Anyone wants to write a bad review, go do it somewhere else. It's called SPEARFISHING, not "fish watching"!! We will be back again & again. Thanks John Chris & CJ.

Kyle Good - Rylan Good....Ground Swell
Holdings...Calgary Alberta.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I went out for my 3rd time with Spearfish Maui. On this excursion I was guided by John and Chris, who were both EXCELLENT guides. They really made it a great experience, in several ways:
1. They were 100% focused on putting me on fish. There was just me and one other participant, and the 1:1 ratio was hard to beat!
2. They are incredibly expert teachers. It was fun to learn new techniques and push myself, while always feeling safe.
3. They have great equipment. I was provided a very comfortable full body wetsuit, a high quality speargun, gloves, etc and they would have given me fins, booties, mask, snorkel etc if I needed it
4. Have been out 3 times and gotten fish every time... but even if I did not get fish this would be worth it. What a bargain for a new experience, diving beautiful sites, and potentially getting dinner in the mix!

Overall, my very favorite activity on Maui, and I have done many.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

My wife and I were all set to go spearfishing on a Thursday, but the conditions were choppy and brown. Deferring to the expert opinion of Keoni to not test the murky marine waters, we went through an in-depth, on-shore training on gun safety, water safety, fish identification, hunting technique, free-diving technique, and ethical snorkeling and spearfishing, and rescheduled our dive for later in the week with no charge for Keoni's time and knowledge. Keoni is incredibly knowledgeable, and I hope to dive with him when I return to Maui. Good luck in AK K1!

On the following Sunday, we met up with John, Chris, and CJ, three talented and personable spearos that gave their knowledge of technique and diving freely and with kindness and patience. There was one other client so it was one-on-one, guide-to-cient for our dive.

John is an amazing guide with over 40 years of experience spearfishing. He instilled in me a sense that I could spear fish, and that's exactly what I did; 12 Kole, 1 umaumalei on my fist day! He worked with me the entire time I was in the water improving my technique and introducing me to different aspects of the complexities of spearfishing and free-diving in an advanced and accessible fashion. He is the man to look to for information on ethical reef diving on Maui. He's an amazing person.

His son, Chris, is also a great spearo, and he led the on-shore training on Sunday. We were not required to repeat the training; however, I wanted to refresh myself with the target species lecture again. Honestly, I wanted to absorb every bit of information about spearfishing that I could, and Spearfish Maui is an organization with employees that have a wealth of knowledge extending past spearfishing into ethical diving.

CJ worked with my wife, and she speared the biggest fish of the day! CJ is also a super-talented spearo, and he and John helped me with information about proper gear I would need for spearfishing lake trout and carp here at home in Montana.

The dive was so spectacular we scheduled a dive for Monday. The cost of repeat dives is reduced! Even if you don't spear a fish (they're wiley), you'll have an amazing time snorkeling and hunting, and you'll learn so much too. I saw turtles, a 6ft Morey, pufferfish, and the state fish, Humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa. Try saying that five times fast! In my opinion, if you don't go spearfishing, you'd be missing out on the best experience on Maui. And Spearfish Maui is the best spearfish outfit on Maui! So do yourself a favor and choose right! Choose Spearfish Maui!

Mahalo, John, Chris, CJ, K1, and owner Jeremy! Where's that billfish footage you were telling me about, Jeremy!?

Peace outside!
-Mat

1  Thank graphroot
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Instructors are awesome! They pay very close attention to individuals experience levels and ensures the safety of even the most inexperienced snorkeler. Being safe and having a good time is what these guys are about.
I learned a ton about spearfishing in a very short period and got a chance to eat some local fish (Kole and Umaumulei) in the process.

Jeremy Sleg was awesome to chat with and was the reason o felt comfortable booking.
I would rebook with spearfishmaui.com in a heartbeat!